A few general questions

RestingBird

Greetings!

My wife and I are taking a cruise on Serenade in mid-October out of Boston and we have a few questions.

1. We've been on 2 RCI ships and didn't notice if there was a way to get some laundry done, either by us or staff on board. We're trying to pack light due to the plane ride to Boston.

2. We have some time to kill between disembarkation and our flight home and were wondering if RCI can send our bags to the airport so we don't have to drag them around Boston while we wait.

3. I read a post on here about tipping room attendants and bartenders on the first day and was wondering how much $ is proper etiquette for said tipping. We'll have a balcony room if that means anything for the amount. I just don't want to give them too little, or something over the top.

4. Any tips/secrets for Serenade?

Thanks in advance! I love reading and learning on this site, thank you to everyone involved.

Here are some thoughts...

1. Some sailings, I believe 7 nights or longer include an option to have laundry done in the middle of the cruise. I believe the cost is $30, and your room attendant will leave a bag that you can stuff as full as you can. There are other posts about this throughout the site

2. I have not seen where this is available where I have sailed

3. Either you can Pre-pay your gratuities or have it added to your SeaPass account and you will be charged afterward. $13.50 for standard rooms and $16.50 for suites. There is no expectation to tip ,ore than this unless you would like to. I have found that bar tenders really like a little real cash. I have tipped my stateroom attendant at the beginning of the cruise if I want my cooler emptied

4. I have not been on Serenade

I can help (a little) on the first two questions:

1 - Yes, it's offered on many cruises (7 nights or longer, i believe)
2 - On a very recent podcast, Matt talked to a guy (maybe it was an e-mail) that used a service like this. It was $25/bag but they took the bags to the airport and got them checked in for the passenger.

3 - If you prepay the gratuities then there's no expectation to pay anything else (but you certainly can if you want). For the bartenders, I usually tip $1/drink (and i buy the drink packages where the 18% tip is already factored in as well)

Have a great cruise

1. We've been on 2 RCI ships and didn't notice if there was a way to get some laundry done, either by us or staff on board. We're trying to pack light due to the plane ride to Boston.

You can send out your laundry for dry cleaning or do a "wash and fold" bag of laundry. For wash and fold, they give you a plastic bag and you fill it up with whatever you can fit in there. Ask your stateroom attendant for info on either

2. We have some time to kill between disembarkation and our flight home and were wondering if RCI can send our bags to the airport so we don't have to drag them around Boston while we wait.

Your best bet is rent a car and stick your luggage there.

3. I read a post on here about tipping room attendants and bartenders on the first day and was wondering how much $ is proper etiquette for said tipping. We'll have a balcony room if that means anything for the amount. I just don't want to give them too little, or something over the top.

I recommend the pre-paid gratuities. Simpler and less awkward.  Here is more info on gratuities: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/05/19/first-time-cruisers-what-you-need-know-about-gratuities-royal-caribbean

Many times on cruises they offer excursions after you disembark, they will take you and your luggage around town then drop you off at the airport. This may be a good option for you.

In my case it was a very good price for the tour, especially considering the fact it's a ride to the airport with bags.

The laundry special  is the way to go as the smaller ships don"t have coin operated laundry machines. We leave for Spain next week and are packing light so as to use the laundry special  on Brilliance of the seas.  Flying with extra suitcases anywhere gets real costly.  As for the tipping we use the prepaid gratuities and tip the room steward extra on the first day.  We also give the bartenders cash tips besides the already added tip.  If we know we will be at certain bars we will tip the bartender extra the first day and they enjoy the cash and a nice tip up front.  It makes for a real nice gesture on our part and breaks the ice shall we say in getting to know those people.  Within a day or two you will be on a first name basis  and likely have a drink in progress as you approach the bar.   As they say money talks.   And besides the hours these people work and the low pay they receive they greatly appreciate the generosity that a guest may bestow upon them.   As far as the amount  use your own discretion.   All of the previous posts are excellent ideas.  Enjoy your cruise.

On Anthem earlier this year there was the option to send laundry for cleaning but it was a pay per item and worked out quite expensive, we never had the option of a bag for a set price.

As for tipping we prepaid but also tipped the bar tenders extra daily and also 2 of them were outstanding so tipped them extra again using WOW envelope on the last night. The suite attendant was also very good and we also gave her a WOW envelope.