Royal Caribbean Optum Store - Testing Kits Available

KLA

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's funny to me since it's the same test and same price that Optum has been selling for months.

I mean, that's a good thing right? Not marking up just for the 'peace of mind' that it's very certainly going to be accepted by the cruise line and you can be on your way to vacation?

My thoughts are that the kit offered by RC show in new packaging which would suggest to me that there is a new expiration date as well?  Just a guess as I do not have mine as yet and just ordered them today. With this guess I chose to pay the $99 cost for a 3pack from Royal as opposed to the $150 price abbott offers for a Six Pack in the old packaging.

7 minutes ago, KLA said:

I mean, that's a good thing right? Not marking up just for the 'peace of mind' that it's very certainly going to be accepted by the cruise line and you can be on your way to vacation?

I had decided on going the home-test route earlier this week as I was finalizing my itinerary for travelling to and from the port and decided to wait to see the pricing on the ones being sold through the "Royal Caribbean storefront" was marked up because...well, I wouldn't have been surprised. If that'd been the case, I would've just gone through the regular Optum store.

Since they weren't marked up, I went ahead and bought a 3-pack this morning. I'm now covered for cruises for the rest of 2020. Delivery has a window between "Sept. 9-10".

3 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

My thoughts are that the kit offered by RC show in new packaging which would suggest to me that there is a new expiration date as well?  Just a guess as I do not have mine as yet and just ordered them today. With this guess I chose to pay the $99 cost for a 3pack from Royal as opposed to the $150 price abbott offers for a Six Pack in the old packaging.

I would doubt the supply of tests is any different than what is already offered. Just a different cost center the sale gets lumped under

19 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I had decided on going the home-test route earlier this week as I was finalizing my itinerary for travelling to and from the port and decided to wait to see the pricing on the ones being sold through the "Royal Caribbean storefront" was marked up because...well, I wouldn't have been surprised. If that'd been the case, I would've just gone through the regular Optum store.

Since they weren't marked up, I went ahead and bought a 3-pack this morning. I'm now covered for cruises for the rest of 2020. Delivery has a window between "Sept. 9-10".

I just clicked on it and it takes you to the Optum website store so it may just be a link only for RCI to help since they shortened the testing time.

10 minutes ago, ZuggsandMimi said:

Are these the online test kits where they are supervised via Zoom.  Can these be done over the weekend?  We have a Monday sailing and flying out early Sunday so for the 2 day window, leaves only Saturday for testing.

Testing proctors are available 24/7

1 hour ago, BigKarl said:

My hope also, I don't want to order too far out if these tests are on the cusp of an expiration date.   Maybe wait and see what folks are getting from these first orders.   Price is fair.

15 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

My hope also, I don't want to order too far out if these tests are on the cusp of an expiration date.   Maybe wait and see what folks are getting from these first orders.   Price is fair.

I’m waiting as well.  For expiration dates and a bit of cooler weather.  

Sorry, just to clarify. There are three of us sailing, if we purchase a 3 pack can we all use the same kit? When we call up the zoom proctor can all three be accomplished or do we have to call up 3 different times?  As soon as @Chadsteryou receive them would you be so kind as to let us know the expiration date? My sailing isn't until 21 November, my fear is I purchase to early and they expire, I am a planner so I was thinking about purchasing this weekend, but am really interested in the shelf life first, Thanks so much!

2 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I’m waiting as well.  For expiration dates and a bit of cooler weather.  

Yes this also! I received a blouse that arrived via UPS here in Florida the other day. The package was delivered so hot the fabric color was compromised. I never order makeup, prescriptions etc via mail this time of year here. Thanks @barbeygI never even thought of the temperature aspect.

2 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Yes this also! I received a blouse that arrived via UPS here in Florida the other day. The package was delivered so hot the fabric color was compromised. I never order makeup, prescriptions etc via mail this time of year here. Thanks @barbeygI never even thought of the temperature aspect.

Yikes on the blouse, And me too, @Neesa. I get all my makeup, etc by May, then wait for late Sept (or later) to order again.

There are granola bars my husband is (im)patiently waiting for me to order for him. They have dark chocolate in them, and that would be a total mess in our metal mailbox. I told him to ration himself across the summer, but did he? No. 😂 

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

As soon as @Chadsteryou receive them would you be so kind as to let us know the expiration date?

Certainly! I'm hopeful the tests will be good at least through the end of December, because that would indeed keep me squared away until my cruises for 2020 are done. Will report back when the package arrives.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:15 AM, Neesa said:

Sorry, just to clarify. There are three of us sailing, if we purchase a 3 pack can we all use the same kit? When we call up the zoom proctor can all three be accomplished or do we have to call up 3 different times?  As soon as @Chadsteryou receive them would you be so kind as to let us know the expiration date? My sailing isn't until 21 November, my fear is I purchase to early and they expire, I am a planner so I was thinking about purchasing this weekend, but am really interested in the shelf life first, Thanks so much!

Yes 3 people can use the kits in your 3 pack

You will have to make 3 different calls, from each persons own Navica account.

You can order now and will be good for November, (kits shipping now have January expiration)

SIDE BAR : just my personal opinion, but I would be nervous testing for 3 people with a 3 pack; simply because if you have a faulty test (which has been noted), or have an oops moment with one, you have no backup and your perfect testing plans could be compromised.

5 hours ago, KLA said:

Hey, rjac!!! 😄 

Happy to be here with an actual cruise on the horizon in < 1 month! Hope all is well with you as well!

The particulars please and would appreciate your post cruise comments. Especially the covid protocols. Doing well here, just chomping at the bit for our B2B on the Odyssey next year! 😎

32 minutes ago, rjac said:

The particulars please and would appreciate your post cruise comments. Especially the covid protocols. Doing well here, just chomping at the bit for our B2B on the Odyssey next year! 😎

Actually - Odyssey 6 night Western at the beginning of October! I’ll be sure to jot down some notes to share - especially with that B2B you have! 

7 hours ago, Linda R said:

Wondering, on my B2B will RC test me for the 2nd cruise?  I am thinking they do.

Hi Linda!

Here is the current policy as per Matt's post on 8/27/21. On B2B trips, Royal will test you onboard prior to the second cruise at no cost to you...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/27/royal-caribbean-did-not-change-their-back-back-cruise-policy

image.png.fd59d3bc13f08023e307328aed0205f3.png

I’m also a believer in redundancy. I have more tests on hand then I’m going to need. Just in case there’s a mistake, malfunction or loss of video connection. I purchased a six pack (drank it, it was delicious)…then got a six pack of tests from eMed directly. Six tests cost $150 but they have the earlier expiration date…which was extended. These tests are my backups to getting tested at CVS, and I may never need to use them, so they are really an investment in peace of mind.

6 hours ago, BrianB said:

I’m also a believer in redundancy. I have more tests on hand then I’m going to need. Just in case there’s a mistake, malfunction or loss of video connection. I purchased a six pack (drank it, it was delicious)…then got a six pack of tests from eMed directly. Six tests cost $150 but they have the earlier expiration date…which was extended. These tests are my backups to getting tested at CVS, and I may never need to use them, so they are really an investment in peace of mind.

I did The exact same thing. Including both six packs 😁

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

FWIW, Biden just announced that all at-home test kits must be sold at cost, which he claims could reduce the price by 30%

The POC tests he mentioned being sold at cost (for only a limited amount of time) are not the proctored version.

Good thing however is the mandates he is proposing, along with Defense Act production, will increase the number of tests on hand, and run through these soon to expire tests rather quickly.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Where'd you see that?  He said "at home tests" which would include the proctored test since they can be taken at home with our without proctoring.

I don't put a lot of stock in the verbiage used here, "at home" test is pretty broad label. Both Binax tests are basically the same, the cost difference in the two comes from the cost of the ASCP proctoring and validation of results.  It is one thing to CAP a price on a commodity, it's another to CAP the price on professional services, which the proctoring is. 

Also, the "at cost" remarks mentioned specific retailers that are not permitted to sell the proctored version, only the "at home" test.