Freedom of the Seas Cruise Director

nhilding10

Thank you in advance for this one, but I've been scouring the cruise compasses and everything posted on YouTube since cruises restarted, but I can't seem to find who the current CD on Freedom is? I know @Matt and some others have sailed Freedom in the last month, can you confirm who the CD is and what we can expect? Normally I'd be 100% go with the flow and wouldn't necessarily mind, but my wife seems to think that the other "C" line has better sailaway parties and pooldeck games, and fun, and themes, and etc!, and is considering a switch that I very much want to avoid. Will the current CD and lineup on Freedom be enough to keep us Loyal? 😀 (I also know this is 100% opinion, and perspective, but asking to know the parameters in which I can steer her!)

Honestly no, not if that's what she is looking for. Carnival exceeds at that sort of thing and is largely where their "party" boat reputation comes from.  Royal tends to be a little more subdued when it comes to that, but overall is a more well-rounded and a little more something for everyone type of experience.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Honestly no, not if that's what she is looking for. Carnival exceeds at that sort of thing and is largely where their "party" boat reputation comes from.  Royal tends to be a little more subdued when it comes to that, but overall is a more well-rounded and a little more something for everyone type of experience.

Ashley thanks, that's what I was afraid of/thinking. We've been on Anthem in 2019 and Harmony in 2020 (with Bing Bong) and she still wants to lean that way, and I'm doing everything I can to keep her Loyal. I totally see your point and had hoped for the right situation on this one haha. Thanks for the info and we shall see. Perhaps I have to suck it up that one other sailing and we'll see you back on RC after that!

The price point is probably on the higher end of the Carnival offerings but you may want to look into Mardi Gras. @twangster did a fantastic review of the ship over on the CruiseHabit messageboards. That ship comes across a little closer to the newer Royal ships with the variety of things to do but still is a Carnival "Fun" ship.  If I was going to venture back over to Carnival that the one in their fleet that currently interests me the most.

A recent sail away party on Mardi Gras was very much Royal like in terms of energy and spirit.  My Mardi Gras sailing was 60% capacity. 

Someone who stayed on for the B2B reported the next sailing had a completely different vibe to the sail away party.  It was much more of a party crowd.  He also reported a number of fights and drunken guests "moments" which we didn't see on the first sailing (including vomit more than once).

Royal at the moment is operating with around 30%-40% capacity. 

Right now the lower capacity can impact the vibe and spirit of the ship for events like sail away parties.  Take away the drunken buffoonery that was always less common on Royal and that too can change the guest experience.  That's a change for the better for me and why I started sailing Royal more in the first place but for a younger crowd there may be an appeal for some of that....  that's personal like food and entertainment.  

For Mardi Gras it goes to show that the guests themselves create the vibe felt on the ship.  At my age I'm totally over the college frat party drink till you puke approach to cruising.   That's not "fun" to me or required to have "fun".

I sailed Mardi Gras when I did because of reduced capacity.  I can't imagine what that ship will be like at capacity.  It has nearly identical maximum capacity to Oasis class but is 2/3 the size.  I met several frequent cruisers who were sampling Mardi Gras while their primary cruise line was someone else.  Everyone of them had the same conclusion.  Beautiful ship, can't imagine what it will be like at full capacity.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

A recent sail away party on Mardi Gras was very much Royal like in terms of energy and spirit.  My Mardi Gras sailing was 60% capacity. 

Someone who stayed on for the B2B reported the next sailing had a completely different vibe to the sail away party.  It was much more of a party crowd.  He also reported a number of fights and drunken guests "moments" which we didn't see on the first sailing (including vomit more than once).

Royal at the moment is operating with around 30%-40% capacity. 

Right now the lower capacity can impact the vibe and spirit of the ship for events like sail away parties.  Take away the drunken buffoonery that was always less common on Royal and that too can change the guest experience.  That's a change for the better for me and why I started sailing Royal more in the first place but for a younger crowd there may be an appeal for some of that....  that's personal like food and entertainment.  

For Mardi Gras it goes to show that the guests themselves create the vibe felt on the ship.  At my age I'm totally over the college frat party drink till you puke approach to cruising.   That's not "fun" to me or required to have "fun".

I sailed Mardi Gras when I did because of reduced capacity.  I can't imagine what that ship will be like at capacity.  It has nearly identical maximum capacity to Oasis class but is 2/3 the size.  I met several frequent cruisers who were sampling Mardi Gras while their primary cruise line was someone else.  Everyone of them had the same conclusion.  Beautiful ship, can't imagine what it will be like at full capacity.  

Thanks for the insight. I should have clarified a little more, we're definitely not in the frat-style, buffoon-ery stage of partying and what we're looking for. I'll admit though, the sailaway parties we've had on Royal definitely seemed to have a lot less of the dancing and high-energy feeling of the crowd, and that aspect I believe is what she's more looking for. I'll enjoy the drinks package, don't get me wrong, but it's far from the main point. I think it's more of the vibes, and set of activities around the Lido deck and other areas that don't feel like the atmosphere of "what it used to" if that makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off Freedom this morning and the CD is Tom Hopkins and the Activities Director was Eric but I didn't catch his last name. They did a great job and the other activities staff who helped with the events were all very fun and very good. Tom mostly stuck to the big production events and the theater but keep an eye out for Marvin during the trivia. He was hilarious and made sure everyone was having a good time. 

• 1 year later...

Dear  royal caribbean,

it’s always a pleasure cruising in your ships, I have cruise  with several cruise companies but nothing like royal caribbean. My last  cruise  with you guys  was  septiembre 23 on the freedom of the seas. I would like recognize that royal well trained their staff. It was like walking in a 5 starts hotel, hospitality 100%.  Please  recognized  our server at the main dining mr Mario deck 4 main dining table 428 if I don’t mistake. He was very profesional 100% high level of customer service  plus  with a big heart. One of the nights my wife was not feeling good, he went above and beyond  trying to help her  to feel better. I usually don’t like to write to their companies but a well done job  of mr Mario make  me to write to corporate because the excellence job should alaways recognized it.  We hope we can cruise again with royal caribbean soon.

Kind regards

carlos & Stephanie  Quiroga

11 hours ago, Cquiroga said:

Dear  royal caribbean,

it’s always a pleasure cruising in your ships, I have cruise  with several cruise companies but nothing like royal caribbean. My last  cruise  with you guys  was  septiembre 23 on the freedom of the seas. I would like recognize that royal well trained their staff. It was like walking in a 5 starts hotel, hospitality 100%.  Please  recognized  our server at the main dining mr Mario deck 4 main dining table 428 if I don’t mistake. He was very profesional 100% high level of customer service  plus  with a big heart. One of the nights my wife was not feeling good, he went above and beyond  trying to help her  to feel better. I usually don’t like to write to their companies but a well done job  of mr Mario make  me to write to corporate because the excellence job should alaways recognized it.  We hope we can cruise again with royal caribbean soon.

Kind regards

carlos & Stephanie  Quiroga

Hi and welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you had a great experience and we're glad to hear it! BUT this site is NOT AN OFFICIAL ROYAL CARIBBEAN SITE and your lauding of your servers and staff will not make it to Royal HR from here. I do hope you completed your cruise survey after your cruise and gave shout outs to your staff as that is a surefire way to get them recognized and rewarded. If you haven't but still want to, I'm sure our local @twangster or @Matt can drop some emails you can send this to instead.