Final Disembarkation Procedure

BrianB

I am wondering how the ships are handling final disembarkation procedures. I know there are sometimes different procedures for different ships and ports. Is early walk-off still an option? In the past, we would go and stand on line with all of our luggage, along with a lot of others, and wait for the ship to be cleared. The line formed early, even before the ship tied up. 
When I had the Key on the Anthem, we would meet at the Shore Excursion desks across from the gangway and were the first off as soon as the ship was cleared. I know the Key is not yet a choice…but are passengers lining up early?

I see some posts and videos (from @Matt) where passengers said they wait in their cabins to be called. In the past, they wanted everyone out of the cabins early so they could clean and sanitize them quicker. We were told to wait in public areas. How does this work? Is it a PA announcement when your number is called? Doesn’t that cause groups to be at the elevators at the same time? How do they keep crowds from forming while getting to a zero count as quickly as possible? Especially as passenger numbers start to rise.

**I know…I’m getting antsy! First cruise in eighteen months is getting close and I can’t wait!🤪

Matt has covered this in his videos and live streams.  If you want to walk off you can, but you will need to wait in your stateroom for them to call for walk offs.  They don't have groups congregating in places like they used to.  Not really sure how they keep people from all being at the elevator at same time?  Maybe it isn't much of a problem since capacity is still so low? 30-50% depending on sailing for passengers.

4 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

What is "early walk off" We are sailing in November out of Port Canaveral and have a flight at 1130. Would this be something we should do?

I would - the drive back to Port Canaveral can be long (~ 1 hr) and security at MCO can be a mess, so this is definitely something I would consider. 

1 minute ago, CrznTxn said:

Early Walk off is where you carry your bags off the ship and not leave them out in the hallway the night before for deposit at the port. Generally you are off before everyone except high tier folks who want off early.

As long as you are comfortable navigating your bags around and off the ship, this is a VERY easy way to go and gets you on your way the fastest. This is what we've always done (even when travelling with multiple roller bags). 

3 hours ago, BrianB said:

I am wondering how the ships are handling final disembarkation procedures. I know there are sometimes different procedures for different ships and ports. Is early walk-off still an option? In the past, we would go and stand on line with all of our luggage, along with a lot of others, and wait for the ship to be cleared. The line formed early, even before the ship tied up. 
When I had the Key on the Anthem, we would meet at the Shore Excursion desks across from the gangway and were the first off as soon as the ship was cleared. I know the Key is not yet a choice…but are passengers lining up early?

I see some posts and videos (from @Matt) where passengers said they wait in their cabins to be called. In the past, they wanted everyone out of the cabins early so they could clean and sanitize them quicker. We were told to wait in public areas. How does this work? Is it a PA announcement when your number is called? Doesn’t that cause groups to be at the elevators at the same time? How do they keep crowds from forming while getting to a zero count as quickly as possible? Especially as passenger numbers start to rise.

**I know…I’m getting antsy! First cruise in eighteen months is getting close and I can’t wait!🤪

In Bahamas we were told to sit in our cabin and watch the TV. (it didn't work! LOL)
They had some stewards in the halls who asked you what # you were and told you to go back if it wasn't your turn. (they were very nice)

I had considered doing a walk off and when I asked Guest Services about it they said the pier was quite long  to be dragging the luggage ourselves  would be a long/hot process.  (they had everything at the end of the pier for us-so that was great!)----this was not a Port-it was a pier so a whole different ballgame.

The ship was not crowded, at no time did we have a long line for elevators or getting off the ship.....in fact it was surprising that there was no lines to speak of.

I can share our experience on Freedom.

We went down to the Windjammer about 8am for breakfast and discovered when we were done around 8.30am that they had called every group already and were basically waiting for us to go back to our rooms, grab our bags and leave so they could call the ship "cleared".

It went a little faster than normal 😉

20 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I can share our experience on Freedom.

We went down to the Windjammer about 8am for breakfast and discovered when we were done around 8.30am that they had called every group already and were basically waiting for us to go back to our rooms, grab our bags and leave so they could call the ship "cleared".

It went a little faster than normal 😉

Interesting!! So be ready to be up and moving back to the airport early. 

On celebrity millennium at st. Maarten, it was just like always. Early walk off was an option. 

On adventure in Bahamas, luggage had to be outside your door the night before due to space limitations on the busses. I think early walk off was allowed, but you met your bags at the end of the pier. I think this applies only to sailings out of the Bahamas.