Testing strategy - holiday weekend

APM

I have cruised since the reopening and i didn’t find the testing requirements all that cumbersome, even had them done at the county health office for free.

Looking for advice. I have a Jan 2 Harmony cruise coming up. With the new 48 hour requirement and a Sunday departure, that leaves Saturday New Year’s Day and Friday, the observed federal holiday to complete testing. I foresee my options being quite limited. Have the need/online test capacity been able to keep up with the demand?

thanks

Royal is starting an option available tomorrow that allows you to purchase a home testing kit that comes with a QR code that will start a session and allow you to complete the test on video with a professional. 

I plan on ordering two of these kits tomorrow for our upcoming cruise so we aren't rushing around Ft. Lauderdale to find the right kind of test, plus peace of mind that it's an option offered directly through the cruise line so you know they'll accept it. 

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

These are the same Binax tests you can get on eMed or Optum now.

Ah, cool! I've been COMPLETELY out of the cruising loop until just yesterday when I found myself with one booked for the very near future, so I'm very behind on the currently accepted options 😅

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

The only thing that remains to be seen with the RC-promoted tests is if they're subsidizing the cost.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow!! Do you happen to have a link for the other two tests you mentioned? I'm also curious if Royal is going to do a "peace of mind" price increase on those now. 

3 minutes ago, KLA said:

I guess we'll find out tomorrow!! Do you happen to have a link for the other two tests you mentioned? I'm also curious if Royal is going to do a "peace of mind" price increase on those now. 

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

So, my other logistical concern is capacity. Does emed have enough zoom slots available (weekend/ holidays) to handle the growing demand?

i had always thought the at hkme test would be my backup but because if the h i queens did a Jan 2 Sunday sailing, it’s quickly becoming my primary option.

2 minutes ago, APM said:

So, my other logistical concern is capacity. Does emed have enough zoom slots available (weekend/ holidays) to handle the growing demand?

i had always thought the at hkme test would be my backup but because if the h i queens did a Jan 2 Sunday sailing, it’s quickly becoming my primary option.

Around the internet, I’ve seen reports of anywhere from a couple of minutes to 30 minute waits. For a period of time, they were slower than that, but they seem to have improved after being slammed.  I think a lot depends on the time of day you call in. 🙂