Do you have to have luggage tags if carrying on luggage yourself?

Overstim

Nope! If you're carrying them on yourselves, no tag needed - but might be nice to have in case something is misplaced. 

Keep in mind, you should plan on anything that you keep with you being carry on size or smaller since it'll all be going through security before you walk on board. 

If you are referring to large suitcases and not just what are usually considered carry on’s…I have seen passengers at cruise terminals who were told by the security screeners that their bag had to be checked. They wouldn’t put them through the X-ray. Even though they would have fit. Their argument that they had done it before fell on deaf ears. They had to leave the line, go back outside, get luggage tags applied by the porters who took the luggage, and then come back and get on the security line again with their carry on’s. It’s always best to be prepared for anything. I put the tags on all my bags…in tag holders…in several places in case one gets ripped off during handling. Especially since I have been using the Key. Dropping off my carry on was convenient, but I wanted to make sure I got it back!

11 hours ago, Flowrider said:

We’ve never used luggage tags.  Honestly we take carry ons everywhere.  Makes it easy to get on and off and where you want to go!

This is so funny - so, we just booked a cruise in place of a different cancelled vacation. We had planned to do all carry on for that vacation, especially since we had access to a washer/dryer. 

Now for a CRUISE - I'm just looking at the six pairs of shoes I want to bring because of all the "costume changes" through the day for various cruise activities (swim wear, dinner outfits, gym clothes, relax around the ship outfits...) 🤦‍♀️