St John’s Antigua shore excursions: Kid Friendly

tonyfsu21

I've been to Antigua once - but we wound up walking off the ship and taking a taxi over to Valley Church Beach. GORGEOUS beach with a little restaurant on it - we had a ball with us to throw around and we just laid down our towels to sit on and it made for a really nice, quiet beach day. Our taxi driver even waited with us to take us back. I'd definitely recommend that route - but depends on if your kids would be happy just with the beach or if they'd want more to do. 

When we visited Antigua in 2019 we did the Stingray Swim & Snorkel and LOVED it! When else am I gonna get to hold a stingray? They were quite gentle and friendly. (The food that's given to them for coming there probably helps!). We don't travel with kids ourselves, but several kids were on the excursion.

The water at the sand bar where the rays were was only about waist deep so it's not necessary to be a strong swimmer. Except for a couple attempts at trying to look under the water, I don't think I even used the mask and snorkel provided.

Me and Stingray2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here been to Antigua since the restart? I'm thinking of canceling our ship excursion to the dock yard and DIY instead. Would love to leave the ship early, catch a cab to a beach for a bit and then hit the dock yard after for a self guided tour. 

I think I'd regret not going to a beach on this island but want to hit the dock yard too since I think DH will enjoy it. 

Are the taxis running in Antigua since restart or lately, do we know? Sailing Nov 21, 2021. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? 

I read Matt's review of his fav beach and how they navigated  a visit here but believe that was 'before' times. 

TIA