Allure of the Seas - September 5-12, 2021 - Blogging My (Attempt to Keep the) Keto Diet on a Cruise

PG Cruiser

DAY 1

Some people want to take on the challenge of staying on the Keto diet even while on a cruise.  I'm one of them.  So this "blog" will be mostly be about my attempt to face this challenge. I don't think I can do a purist (clean) Keto diet, I wouldn't even call it Low Carb.  At best I can just minimize the carb intake.

Let me start with my first meal onboard:
Salad with Roast Beef from Park Cafe

(I asked only for the meat intended for a Roast Beef Sandwich)

1707894549_SaladwithRoastBeef.thumb.jpg.e2ba73f41adbc8ec84a6850e026df4a1.jpg

Can you see that I'm flaunting my RoyalComeback wrist band?

DAY 1
Temptation at Sorrento's

Before going on the Keto diet, I was a Ninja Turtle... I LOVED PIZZA!  I can finish two large pizzas in one sitting.  On cruises, the first place friends look for me is at Sorrento's.  Whenever I'm out of sight, they'd assume I'm there.  So this is going to be one of the toughest battles in this challenge for me.

Pepperoni Pizza at Sorrento's  (I only took a picture, I swear)

Pizza.thumb.jpg.295f900ff8dd25ebdeb10dba0892fc8f.jpg

What scares me is that I have visited Sorrento's more than any other place on the Allure since I got onboard yesterday.  I think I have to practice what I preach about "fleeing from temptation" ha ha

Prosciutto at Sorrento's  (At least there's something I can get from there)

Prosciutto.thumb.jpg.94fa4547acfacfbb46cc1d5e425b9431.jpg

12 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

DAY 2
Moment of weakness in the stateroom

There's one "Welcome" cookie missing from this plate due to a lapse in temperance.  Why did I keep these welcome gifts in my room? 

Cookies.thumb.jpg.29e2229accfed578db9338a96dacdfbe.jpg

I would say that rather than a moment of weakness it was evidence of supreme will power. There is no way I would have stopped at just one when there were more on the plate! Keep it up. You're doing really well. 💪

DAY 4
Breakfast at Solarium Bistro

Scrambled Egg with Assorted Cold Cuts, Cheeses, and Grilled Tomatoes
(Issues:  Nitrates and nitrites in the cold cuts, but I don't think they serve uncured meats on the ship)

IMG_4934.thumb.jpg.5e1ec1c60033d392aa21f2b9ec6ad502.jpg

I was heading to the Windjammer but I wandered off into the Solarium.  I'll never figure out where Forward and Aft are on a ship no matter how many times I've gone cruising.  Good thing I remembered @Matt's post about trying foods at the Solarium Bistro.  Thanks for the tip, Matt!

DAY 5
Dinner at Izumi Sushi

Edamame
(small portions allowed on Keto)

240594F2-11E6-405C-AA6F-B4BCC5DDE599.thumb.jpeg.c8757b46772fc97a03d033d70157e188.jpeg

Tofu Ginger Salad
(maybe some added sugar in the dressing)

28D11A50-DFC8-40BB-AB05-2E6C3B36385D.thumb.jpeg.ed5cf7c5ceb16aacf162a82d372d8543.jpeg

Tempura Shrimp and Vegetables
(Keto issue:  Breading, breading, and more breading)

0B2582B5-6696-4E3D-833A-1164E190CCD1.thumb.jpeg.e0948cb9229b456bfbbc882793f23fc2.jpeg

Assorted Sashimi

A9CA5A63-91E0-4038-8651-A0E182A04EA6.jpeg

Tonkotsu Ramen without Noodles
(You should have seen my waiter's face when I asked him to skip the noodles)

739BE018-D709-4F7F-A308-1688977D3AEE.thumb.jpeg.a656c91fdef18d12f1fb8d9db1961c5a.jpeg

I applaud the effort! My wife and I are both keto and our upcoming sailing on Freedom on 9/20 is the first cruise I told myself "I'll try to stick to it as best I can once onboard" knowing full well I'm (probably) lying to myself. 🙂 Have you been noticing the selection of seltzers or other alcoholic drinks at all? I'm wondering if it goes beyond the usual one selection of Truly? Not that they would branch out into a huge variety, I get that, but was hoping for maybe the Bud Light versions at least? And I totally will be giving into Sorrento's too, I feel it already! 

5 hours ago, nhilding10 said:

My wife and I are both keto and our upcoming sailing on Freedom on 9/20 is the first cruise I told myself "I'll try to stick to it as best I can once onboard" 

I have proven to myself (and hopefully to others) that Keto is doable on a cruise as far as food options are concerned.  Of course, staying with just Keto-friendly foods is an entirely different story.

5 hours ago, nhilding10 said:

And I totally will be giving into Sorrento's too, I feel it already! 

I was at my ideal weight when I embarked on this cruise.  That's the reason why I could have "cheats" here and there.  I may have gained some weight but I'm confident I could lose the "cruise lbs" after going back to the strict Keto diet I've been on since July 2020.  I hope you are at that point of your Keto journey too.

DAY 7
Lunch at Coco Beach Club

An angel (*cough* @AshleyDillo*cough*) from this message board invited me to join them at their cabana at the Coco Beach Club.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to have checked out the place and enjoy the food.

Shrimp Cocktail and Ceviche
IMG_5100.thumb.jpg.ae82454268b417a6003a14d3f6ed4832.jpg

Herb Marinated Filet Mignon
IMG_5104.thumb.jpg.8785eabda8b2cbf8542aa4f38e5830a8.jpg

Grilled Bahamian Lobster
(After 9 Lobster Tails at the MDR last night, I said I was not going to have any more lobsters today.  But the waiter said their lobsters were different, so how could I resist that? In fairness, he was right.)
IMG_5102.thumb.jpg.b4dc084703245970a197372fd4b26d9d.jpg

Bahamian Rum Soaked Cake
(Keto Issue:  Everything about it... but this is a last hurrah of sorts)
IMG_5105.thumb.jpg.474898628a1c840edcb3b00afe6a4858.jpg

POST-CRUISE UPDATE:

I started this blog to keep track of how I stay on the Keto diet while on a cruise.  Here's where I'm at, three days after the end of the cruise.

After gaining 4.6 lbs on the cruise, I've lost most of them after going back to strict keto

image.thumb.png.c54e5ba059e7f3e20e845c3dbac784dd.png

I was kicked out of ketosis but now I'm back

IMG_5136.thumb.jpg.8b89e83654010c55a4cde9767c3e26d2.jpg

So to all those who would like to go on a cruise while maintaining their diet, it is doable!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I commend you for trying to stay Keto on the cruise. I will be going off my "diet" while cruising. I want to enjoy all the offerings.  However, I did ask them if they had sugar-free options for desserts and drinks so not sure how accommodating my ships will be or on CocoCay to get a daiquiri with sugar-free syrup in it.  I'll ask. If they don't have it, i'll wait til I get home and get back into ketosis. 

17 hours ago, D Alt said:

I commend you for trying to stay Keto on the cruise. I will be going off my "diet" while cruising. I want to enjoy all the offerings.  However, I did ask them if they had sugar-free options for desserts and drinks so not sure how accommodating my ships will be or on CocoCay to get a daiquiri with sugar-free syrup in it.  I'll ask. If they don't have it, i'll wait til I get home and get back into ketosis. 

I did not see a lot of sugar-free options on Allure.