Ultra Spacious Balcony vs Standard Balcony Room: Worth it??

CJS2766

Hello all! We are sailing on the Symphony on Oct. 16. This will be our first time ever in a ocean facing balcony room. We've always done interior and decided to spend a little extra this time for a balcony room. We received a email for a Royal Up. The prices seem a little high per person on the rooms for this cruise. I am looking at bumping up one level from balcony (which we have) to the Ultra Spacious balcony room. The minimum per person is $100. 

My question is? Is this worth it our not?? Just how much bigger is the "ultra spacious" room vs the standard balcony? Since this room is below a Jr Suite, I'm really trying to decide if it's worth the price to get a bigger room. The JS is just to much per person than we want to pay right now. Anyway, thoughts???

I've seen a Oceanview with Large Balcony listed and an Ultraspacious Oceanview (which is an Oceanview with no balcony) listed, but I've never seen an Ultraspacious Balcony on Symphony.  I found that the regular balconies on Symphony  are perfectly comfortable and the balcony is big enough for me to stretch out.

I have read many horror stories of people who were already in a balcony room and bid on another balcony category (RoyalUp) only to be disappointed in either the size or the location of the upgrade.  Personally, I would never bid on a different balcony category if I was already in a balcony, ESPECIALLY if I was happy with my location.  I probably WOULD recommend bidding on an upgrade to an entirely new category (JS or higher) if the price is competitive to upgrading on your own.

The thing I think you need to be careful of is the size of the balcony.  There are a number of balcony categories that call themselves "spacious" but then it turns out that the room itself might be a few feet larger but the balcony is actually smaller.  

Yeah, that looks like what's called some places the "Family Balcony".  Nice!  There's a little extra room with bunks.  There's about 71 more square feet than the regular balcony - I'd personally probably try it for $100 pp, especially if I had more than 2 people in the room, just for the extra sleeping space.

image.thumb.png.7aa1fa0291cb0d60a6d81afa07f57623.png

2 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

Well, I put in the minimum bid. I just searched and found a video on YouTube for this room type and it does appear to be a nice size. If I get it for the minimum, I’ll be happy. If not, I still have a balcony room and I’m fine with that as well.

Good luck, and fantastic attitude!

6 hours ago, miles4us2go said:

What concerns me about bidding on "Royal Up" is that it's not just the bid. If you are offered and accept, don't your gratuities and taxes also increase? So you're paying your bid, plus increased taxes and gratuities.

If you bid into a suite that has higher service fees, then that daily fee will appear on your account. Otherwise, it’s just the amount bid that goes on your credit card.

• 1 year later...