St. Maarten and Barbados

arsenio25

Hi,

Does anyone could inform me about who is better for a good trip in St Maarten and in Barbados?  i know that RC shore excursions are a little expensive, so, anyone could tell me private excursions taken in port?  It is a good alternative to rent a car? I dont know how difficult is drive in both island.

I have rented cars on both islands.  Both are easy to get around with a map.  Rentals are about $100 per day.  We felt a little uneasy about security in a couple of places in St. Maarten, but nothing happened.  I have also bought excursions from operators in both islands and never had any trouble or concern.

In Barbados a must see  is to visit Medford Craft World.  Reggie Medford  is an excellent wood sculptor.  He uses the native mahogany wood and makes some of the most unique and beautiful wood sculptures as well as traditional items.   He is a pleasure to speak with and is very personable.  He will sign his artwork and they ship the merchandise if you so desire which we have done. That is a plus so as not to have to carry the items or to have your luggage be overweight.  And if you should purchase multiple items he might work with you.  He did with us.  BUT be kind and personable and he might work out a package price for you.  He did not offer that to a couple ahead of us in line  as they were obnoxious and condescending towards him.  When it was our turn we had nothing but nice things to say to him and got a piece autographed and asked about a possible package deal and said if that was not possible we fully understood why. Well he was happy to oblige and also asked if we wanted a picture with him and we were thrilled.  In short visit his studio.  It is worth the trip and so is the rum factory.  We bought some cream rum for the Mrs.and she loves it.

What size group?

Many of us have used Leo Brown in St. Maarten, but Bernard's Tours is also very good and less expensive than on the ship.

We very much enjoyed Bernard's when we went in April.  Unfortunately, the weather and my back were not too friendly that day.  But the excursion and the driver (Junior) were great!

I have used Bernard's and like it. I was in St. Maarten in August and I felt so uncomfortable there. I walked, by myself, from the ship to the downtown and I really wasn't comfortable by myself. It was dark and dank and dirty and hardly anyone was walking about but locals and me. So I went back to the ship and decided if I go to St. Maarten again I won't get off of the ship.

Candie

• 1 month later...