Johnny Rockets

You can order as much food as you want from Johnny Rockets.  So if you want 10 burgers, there's no additional charge beyond the initial surcharge.

That being said, milk shakes do cost extra and you will be charged for each one of those you order.  But all the other food is included in the surcharge.

Hi Racer734,

Why?, what happened.

The last time we went the food wasn't very good. Most of the food tasted like it came out of a microwave.  I think Matt posted a review on the site not too long ago that echoed my experience. Basically, it didn't taste fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can get take out from JRs to take back to the room.

While I don't know if there is a "take out" option, I'm sure you can take the tray with food on it back to your room. People kart food all over the ship from the Windjammer, so I don't see how there would be any difference. You would just have to let your waiter know your intentions. There might be some restrictions since it is a for fee restaurant. 

Does anyone know if you can get take out from JRs to take back to the room.

Like Tyler said, I'd definitely ask.   You probably cannot order it by phone but there's nothing stopping you from going to Johnny Rockets and asking for your food to go.

• 2 months later...

I don't know, we have a Johnny Rockets in the town that I'm currently living in, and frankly it's just a plain old burger and fries.  Nothing for me to get worked up over.  My wife and I did it once on board one of the cruises we were on, I can't recall which one, it was that unmpressive.

The Independence was our first experience of Johnny Rockets and it was good fun but the food was a little disappointing mainly because you could tell that they were using cheaper ingredients especialy in the Sundaes it really was a very low quality ice cream. the burgers were good but not out of this world and i had to send mine back as it was not cooked.

We did go back once more and it was slightly better. 

Would we go again ?? yes we would as it's fun but COME ON JOHNNY ROCKETS SPEND A LITTLE MORE ON GREAT INGREDIENTS 

The Independence was our first experience of Johnny Rockets and it was good fun but the food was a little disappointing mainly because you could tell that they were using cheaper ingredients especialy in the Sundaes it really was a very low quality ice cream. the burgers were good but not out of this world and i had to send mine back as it was not cooked.

We did go back once more and it was slightly better. 

Would we go again ?? yes we would as it's fun but COME ON JOHNNY ROCKETS SPEND A LITTLE MORE ON GREAT INGREDIENTS 

The Johnny Rockets brand in the US is not known for out of this world gourmet burgers. I've eaten at several JR's onboard Royal Caribbean ships and I've always been happy with my meal, but you are right, not excellent quality. For me, the onion rings and fries are better than the burger. I'm not a huge meat eater, so I could skip the (messy greasy) burger all together.

I don't know why Royal Caribbean partnered with Johnny Rocket's in the first place. A 1950's diner and cruise line don't seem to have a lot in common. I know it is fun and different, but none of their other restaurants seem to be chain based. 

DARKCABBIE, you demonstrate a good point from your JR first impression. For the most part, dining onboard a Royal Caribbean ship is an upscale inviting experience with quality ingredients and attention to detail. This, however, isn't the case when dining at Johnny Rockets, simply because the food is, well, diner food and the experience would be dragged down if it were any more upscale than a 1950's diner could be. Right?

So for people who are eating at JR's for the very first time and who do not know the JR brand or what it stands for might be let down by subpar service and mediocre food. After all, the servers at JR don't exactly "fall all over you" like they do at a specialty restaurant or in the main dining room. :)

In a previous post i suggested that RC should maybe have there own version on their ships maybe called RCs Burger Shack or similar and having now tried Johnny Rockets and read your comments i really think this would be cool.

RC could still charge the $5.00 or even more and produce a venue with the same old style theme but with high quality handmade steak burgers, hand cut fries and very high quality sundaes and shakes etc and if on top of that they gave you the same service and dinning experience as the other specialty restaurants it would be a sure winner  :) .

In a previous post i suggested that RC should maybe have there own version on their ships maybe called RCs Burger Shack or similar and having now tried Johnny Rockets and read your comments i really think this would be cool.

RC could still charge the $5.00 or even more and produce a venue with the same old style theme but with high quality handmade steak burgers, hand cut fries and very high quality sundaes and shakes etc and if on top of that they gave you the same service and dinning experience as the other specialty restaurants it would be a sure winner  :) .

They should probably partner with a celebrity chef like Carnival did with Guy's Burger Joint. The whole 1950's diner theme is just odd on a cruise ship. And I think Guy's is free. I've heard those burger's are really good.

That would be a great idea Tyler as P&O do that in their restaurants with 3 celeb chefs.

You are so right when you said --(For the most part, dining onboard a Royal Caribbean ship is an upscale inviting experience with quality ingredients and attention to detail.)-- so RC should ensure that this level is kept up in any restaurants they have on onboard as food is a BIG reason why we all Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hummm. Now am not sure that I will even try JR when we go on the Explorer.... That only leaves the Italian restaurant to try out.

I think We will stick with MDR as the Explorer doesn't have ALL those other restaurants that the web keep showing!!...

Johnny Rockets isn't necessarily an "experience" that cruisers must try unlike Portofino or other specialty restaurants on some ships. JR offers burgers, fries, milk shakes etc. in a classic diner atmosphere. If you've been to a JR on land in the US then the experience will be similar. If that type of food isn't your cup of tea, avoid going there.

The MDR offers a great mix of options and Portofino has the most excellent Italian cuisine. Don't miss the tiramisu dessert at Portofino served with a Bailey's Irish Cream & Kahlua shot in an edible chocolate cup. It's amazing!

6960cdaf61ab5028ca174d8ebdaa4629.jpg

That will perk up the taste buds! On our voyage next month we were going to do Chops as 1st Speciality -- you just moved Portofino to top of list. Since our next voyage is within 30 days, I won't call you on our pact to not mention Portofino & Timamusa in same sentence! Great post.

That will perk up the taste buds! On our voyage next month we were going to do Chops as 1st Speciality -- you just moved Portofino to top of list. Since our next voyage is within 30 days, I won't call you on our pact to not mention Portofino & Timamusa in same sentence! Great post.

Don, I hope you still dine at Chops too. It is great food, and the side dishes and desserts are amazing as well. Here are desserts form the last time I ate at Chops. First, the passion fruit mousse. It is light, flavorful and complements a meal of red meat with hearty sides perfectly! 

60540_10100355094145304_6111082_n.jpg

Below is my wife Robin. She didn't order two desserts, they just brought her the wrong one and then insisted she take them both. One is New York Cheesecake and the other is Chocolate Mud Pie. We had a good laugh over this! 

61197_10100355094075444_2519130_n.jpg

On Oasis, you can get JR to go. We used that option one day. Btw sad to say the desserts in Chops on Allure were not ornate like the pictures any more. Almost just a slice of cake on a plate. The one cool dessert a lot of people got was the flaming creme brûlée.

You guys are are really doing me in! Good thing we sail in 21 days! Planning speciality venues probably 4 or 6 nights? We are early diners so not sure what we will do on late 12 hour tour returns from Florence, Rome, & Naples - although we have MDR resevations, maybe quick bite in Windjammer. Yes, those ports are correct! It's not so much about what dessert you will choose, but where you will have it! TAKE THAT-- NOW WE'RE EVEN!