Canadians - Are you cruising this year or waiting?

WannaCruise

On 9/8/2021 at 8:08 AM, Marlena said:

Our medical insurance is void on a cruise due to the level 4 warning. Does anyone have a medical travel insurance that is covering us?

I use Allianz.  They always send an email emphasizing it does cover covid. I get it through my travel agent, so I don't know if she has to specifically request covid coverage.

7 hours ago, Marlena said:

Anyone know if there are issues with our vaccine proof being different then the US CDC cards?

No. Many Canadians have gone cruising without issues. And different provinces have different forms of proof. I haven’t heard of a single issue. They may look at it a little longer but accept it for what it is.

20 hours ago, Marlena said:

Anyone know if there are issues with our vaccine proof being different then the US CDC cards?

I wondered the same but have also heard of no issues.  Just make sure that you bring both pdfs (first dose and second dose) as I heard they do look at both of them.  

I have a cruise scheduled for October 10th out of NJ. I want to go so badly and absolutely nothing will stop me unless the land border doesn't open. I think it's very likely to remain closed, and I've come to terms with that for the most part. If it opens it will be a lovely surprise and I will be super excited to be on Oasis for the first time. If it remains closed, then I will be moving my cruise to Oct 2022 instead.

59 minutes ago, Danielle OG said:

I have a cruise scheduled for October 10th out of NJ. I want to go so badly and absolutely nothing will stop me unless the land border doesn't open. I think it's very likely to remain closed, and I've come to terms with that for the most part. If it opens it will be a lovely surprise and I will be super excited to be on Oasis for the first time. If it remains closed, then I will be moving my cruise to Oct 2022 instead.

Curious as I see you are from Toronto as well.  Does that mean that your hope is to drive to NJ?  We have Anthem out of NJ in Dec and are debating between driving (if border opens) or flying.  We do have refundable flights booked.

6 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Curious as I see you are from Toronto as well.  Does that mean that your hope is to drive to NJ?  We have Anthem out of NJ in Dec and are debating between driving (if border opens) or flying.  We do have refundable flights booked.

Yes, the plan was always to drive. We did it in 2019 and it's a nice drive, and only 8 hours. I do have a fear of flying so that's why I chose to drive and cruise in the first place lol. Also there is quite a big difference in cost. Driving to NJ from here is gas money, and parking near the cruise terminal. Flying means $800 for two people round trip, plus hotel, plus uber to the port. 

27 minutes ago, Danielle OG said:

Yes, the plan was always to drive. We did it in 2019 and it's a nice drive, and only 8 hours. I do have a fear of flying so that's why I chose to drive and cruise in the first place lol. Also there is quite a big difference in cost. Driving to NJ from here is gas money, and parking near the cruise terminal. Flying means $800 for two people round trip, plus hotel, plus uber to the port. 

I hear you...much cheaper.  We're a family of 4 so it's even more (but NJ airfare is less than flying to Florida).  It's also safer covid-wise being in your own car vs airport.  We are also thinking of driving in the worst case scenario where one of us test positive (i.e. if can drive ourselves home). 

Our downside is our cruise is Dec so weather is a big risk (Oct you would be fine).  Plus, I have back issues and can't sit that long so would need many stops.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:13 PM, Eggbert said:

My wife and I are booked on the Allure for Dec. We will get our test at Shopper's on Wednesday, fly Thursday, and board the ship on Friday. Not sure yet how to arrange the return test - that has to be a PCR for our return to Canada, whereas we only need the antigen screen to fly and board outbound. Any suggestions or experiences would be welcome.

Were you able to find out for sure whether Royal accepts the rapid antigen test at Shopper's?  I understand it is the Abbott PanBIO one.

I am not waiting.  I am in New Brunswick and just got off of a B2B2B cruise on Odyssey on Saturday.  It was a great trip and we had no problems at all with any of the testing.  Everything on the ship was open and there was no lines to go in the pool etc.  We have another B2B2B booked on Allure in November, with a 4 day on the Oasis before it.

Here is a little about our testing experience on this last set of cruises in case you are interested:

Our first sailing was Sunday 8/22/21 when it was still the three day testing requirement.

I went online late on Tuesday 8/17 to request our testing appt through the province. I got the call the next morning to schedule the appt. I explained our travel plan - (flying on Saturday 8/21 at 6 AM and then cruising on Sunday 8/22 and both need a test no more than 3 days prior) so I asked for a test on Thursday 8/19.  They explained that it COULD be up to 48 hours for results, so to have us covered for both, they had us go 8/18 & 8/19 for PCR tests.  That way we were sure to get the results in time for both the flight and the first cruise.   

On the morning of the 20th we had still not gotten the 1st results back yet so hubby made an appt with a place in Fredericton NB that offered rapid tests.  As soon as he hung up the phone he checked online again and the results of the 1st tests were there.  It was negative.  Later that same afternoon the other results came in too.  So we really only needed the test results from the 18th, but it was better to be safe than sorry. We cancelled the rapid test.

I had confirmed with multiple sources within RCL in writing (Bayley's FB, RCL FB, email) that we would be able to get the antigen tests between cruises for our B2Bs as well the PCR test to get home.  They were all consistent and said yes and there would be no fees.  

Regarding the antigen tests for the B2Bs, they had all of the B2Bers come down first thing in the morning the day before the cruise ended and we got swabbed.  We got the results back within an hour for the 1st cruise and I think it was a few hours on the 2nd one.

For the tests to get home we got a call from the Diamond concierge on day 2 or 3 of the last sailing and she set up the PCR test appt for us.  Disembarkation and our flights were scheduled for Saturday 9/11/21 but we requested to have the test on Thursday 9/9/21 in case we had any flight issues so we would not have to get retested at the airport or somewhere in Florida if we had to fly on Sunday. They set up up for an appt at 4PM on Thursday 9/9 and told us to go down to medical for the appt.  When we arrived, the nurse told us the results should be back in 35 minutes but asked us to come pick them up at 6PM in case there was a delay or she could send them to the room.  We told her we would come back at 6 to pick up the results and she was just about to stick the tester up my nose when an ALPHA ALHPHA ALPHA for deck 3 alarm came overheard and she had to take off, apologizing profusely.  She told us she would call us in our room when we could come back to get tested.  We totally understood - whatever the emergency was is the 1st priority. About 25 minutes later we got the call to come back down.  We were in and out in less than 5 minutes. We went back at 6PM and got he results, both of which were negative.  They gave us a print out of the results which we then uploaded into the ArriveCAN app with our vaccinations records.  Easy breezy!!

I know November will be more complicated to get tested before the cruise because of the new 2 day requirement so we will likely need to go with the rapid test in Fredericton before we catch our flight or try to find somewhere in Florida.

5 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

I am in New Brunswick and just got off of a B2B2B cruise on Odyssey on Saturday.  It was a great trip and we had no problems at all with any of the testing.  Everything on the ship was open and there was no lines to go in the pool etc.  We have another B2B2B booked on Allure in November, with a 4 day on the Oasis before it.

Here is a little about our testing experience on this last set of cruises in case you are interested:

Our first sailing was Sunday 8/22/21 when it was still the three day testing requirement.

I went online late on Tuesday 8/17 to request our testing appt through the province. I got the call the next morning to schedule the appt. I explained our travel plan - (flying on Saturday 8/21 at 6 AM and then cruising on Sunday 8/22 and both need a test no more than 3 days prior) so I asked for a test on Thursday 8/19.  They explained that it COULD be up to 48 hours for results, so to have us covered for both, they had us go 8/18 & 8/19 for PCR tests.  That way we were sure to get the results in time for both the flight and the first cruise.   

On the morning of the 20th we had still not gotten the 1st results back yet so hubby made an appt with a place in Fredericton NB that offered rapid tests.  As soon as he hung up the phone he checked online again and the results of the 1st tests were there.  It was negative.  Later that same afternoon the other results came in too.  So we really only needed the test results from the 18th, but it was better to be safe than sorry. We cancelled the rapid test.

I had confirmed with multiple sources within RCL in writing (Bayley's FB, RCL FB, email) that we would be able to get the antigen tests between cruises for our B2Bs as well the PCR test to get home.  They were all consistent and said yes and there would be no fees.  

Regarding the antigen tests for the B2Bs, they had all of the B2Bers come down first thing in the morning the day before the cruise ended and we got swabbed.  We got the results back within an hour for the 1st cruise and I think it was a few hours on the 2nd one.

For the tests to get home we got a call from the Diamond concierge on day 2 or 3 of the last sailing and she set up the PCR test appt for us.  Disembarkation and our flights were scheduled for Saturday 9/11/21 but we requested to have the test on Thursday 9/9/21 in case we had any flight issues so we would not have to get retested at the airport or somewhere in Florida if we had to fly on Sunday. They set up up for an appt at 4PM on Thursday 9/9 and told us to go down to medical for the appt.  When we arrived, the nurse told us the results should be back in 35 minutes but asked us to come pick them up at 6PM in case there was a delay or she could send them to the room.  We told her we would come back at 6 to pick up the results and she was just about to stick the tester up my nose when an ALPHA ALHPHA ALPHA for deck 3 alarm came overheard and she had to take off, apologizing profusely.  She told us she would call us in our room when we could come back to get tested.  We totally understood - whatever the emergency was is the 1st priority. About 25 minutes later we got the call to come back down.  We were in and out in less than 5 minutes. We went back at 6PM and got he results, both of which were negative.  They gave us a print out of the results which we then uploaded into the ArriveCAN app with our vaccinations records.  Easy breezy!!

I know November will be more complicated to get tested before the cruise because of the new 2 day requirement so we will likely need to go with the rapid test in Fredericton before we catch our flight or try to find somewhere in Florida.

Thanks for all this info!

So you were given a rapid PCR to return to Canada and no issues with it at the border? Would you call it one of the more "invasive" tests or just shallow?

On 9/10/2021 at 1:32 PM, Rob&Ana said:

If you are vaccinated they cover cruises, I just had another look at the conditions.

"What's excluded?

If you have not received the vaccine, this policy does not provide any coverage for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications on a cruise or at any destination included in your cruise itinerary."

But then on Exclusion #26 it reads 

"Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory."

My interpretation is medical emergencies are covered including COVID-19 (if fully vaccinated) while on cruises if the travel advisory is "Avoid all non-essential travel" or lower.  Currently, Government of Canada has "Avoid All Travel" advisory for cruises.  

Best to give Manulife a call to confirm before departing.  

We're fortunate to be vaccinated with the same band of vaccine both times.  We will get on 2 ships in November, cruises were booked a long, long time ago.  We've even decided to stay and do our first ever B2B in early December.  We're OK with the protocols.  A little worried about getting a PCR test for our return to Canada.  Unsure if Royal will still offer a test onboard by then.  If not, there's always the airport.

1 hour ago, Leahanne67 said:

We're fortunate to be vaccinated with the same band of vaccine both times.  We will get on 2 ships in November, cruises were booked a long, long time ago.  We've even decided to stay and do our first ever B2B in early December.  We're OK with the protocols.  A little worried about getting a PCR test for our return to Canada.  Unsure if Royal will still offer a test onboard by then.  If not, there's always the airport.

Considering they are offering covid coverage extended till the end of 2021 im sure they will still offer the testing to return home. At least that would make sense!

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting my thread now that we are in mid December.

We are struggling with what to do.  Our cruise is a week Friday and we would leave that Wednesday.  Everything is booked...antigen test, hotels, etc.  We are driving to avoid airports and crowds beforehand (and for our hotel, we will simply stick to our hotel so very low key).  We feel that cruising is pretty safe with their protocols....but then there is this new variant and the projections going way up.  And  a couple risks for our Anthem cruise...many activities indoors and our holiday cruise is supposed to be a "full" ship. But, we do feel it's safe with everything and would just be careful.  We are all double vaccinated, but we don't quality for a booster until literally 2 days after we return.  We doubt they would close the borders, but who knows what other protocols they add (we are ok to quarantine if need to if a test is needed again upon return - as long as it's at home).  As of now, we are going, but only have a few days to decide (and cases are popping up in schools so that may make our decision).  But I also feel like if we wait, then what are we waiting for?  As it seems like the same thing each time and we just need to learn to live with this.  Until now, we have really just been sticking to our house and like many, really need this vacation.

For fellow Canadians, are you still going ahead with your cruise?

Yes, we are still planning to sail early January.  Tests booked before we leave and we are flying out of Pearson.  Agree that being on a ship is as or more safe than many other places we could spend our time.  If testing and vaccination protocols were not in place, we would not cruise.  We do have Anthem booked for March and will be driving instead of flying for that one.  Of course there is always concern about rules changing and the borders being closed but after 2 years of this pandemic, we are so looking forward to getting back to cruising.  Anthem is a beautiful ship...we've sailed on her twice.  I hope you have a lovely holiday.

22 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

But I also feel like if we wait, then what are we waiting for?  As it seems like the same thing each time and we just need to learn to live with this. 

^^^^THIS!^^^

The situation is ridiculous.  One thing after another.  My head is spinning trying to keep up.  Canada has made it so that the situation is so fluid you, never know when the next ball/hammer/whatever will drop.  There's always going to be something else and we have not sailed since August 2019.  Done with it. 

We are of the mindset that we will do everything we can to get on Allure this Sunday.  We are both two weeks past our boosters, we will take whatever precautions are necessary, but at the same time, I don't want keep cancelling.  The quarantine upon returns seems to be very hit and miss at this point.  @Jax and I both called CBSA, they don't even seem to want to commit to anything.

At this point, two things (covid related) will stop us from boarding on Sunday, we unknowingly test positive on Friday when we do our rapid antigen test, or the border closes on us.  

41 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

But I also feel like if we wait, then what are we waiting for?  As it seems like the same thing each time and we just need to learn to live with this. 

If we don’t cease this opportunity now we may be faced with more travel restrictions and vaccine mandates. A booster will likely be required in the short term to be considered fully vaccinated. So we will face more tough decisions around booster shots. Like @Lovetocruise2002we are praying for negative test results later this week and a status quo on travel restrictions. God willing we will be in Florida Friday and boarding Oasis Sunday. 🙏 

Just had discussion with DH.  He's thinking we should cancel as we don't have boosters yet.  Not done until the fat lady sings, but leaning to that.  So upset....I know our kids will be devastated.    It's like March 2020 all over.  Next attempt is March, but as above, not sure how things will be better (aside from a booster).  We'll still see over the next few days.

47 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^^^^THIS!^^^

The situation is ridiculous.  One thing after another.  My head is spinning trying to keep up.  Canada has made it so that the situation is so fluid you, never know when the next ball/hammer/whatever will drop.  There's always going to be something else and we have not sailed since August 2019.  Done with it. 

We are of the mindset that we will do everything we can to get on Allure this Sunday.  We are both two weeks past our boosters, we will take whatever precautions are necessary, but at the same time, I don't want keep cancelling.  The quarantine upon returns seems to be very hit and miss at this point.  @Jax and I both called CBSA, they don't even seem to want to commit to anything.

At this point, two things (covid related) will stop us from boarding on Sunday, we unknowingly test positive on Friday when we do our rapid antigen test, or the border closes on us.  

I know...so crazy!

Fingers crossed for you and your family with negative results.  I can't see them closing the borders...esp right at xmas holidays when they know people are off (and would be stuck).  They already have their testing protocols and possible quarantine.

I've had to cancel a number of cruises due to Canada's quarantine policy for travelers who have ventured beyond the US.  

I have family in the hospital in Canada and might need to enter Canada with less than two weeks notice. If I cruise I can't take the chance that a CBSA agent could decide they don't like dark running shoes on Tuesdays and send me to quarantine jail for two weeks.

Since I am not a resident I don't have a home to quarantine in so it would off to the government quarantine jail for me.  

I can't imagine any non-US business traveler trying to go to Canada now.   Unless you live in Canada, essentially Canada has closed the border by making it really unattractive to go there.

They may not be calling it a border closure, but that is effectively what they have done for anyone who doesn't live in Canada.  

conan obrien conan25 GIF by Team Coco

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've had to cancel a number of cruises due to Canada's quarantine policy for travelers who have ventured beyond the US.  

I have family in the hospital in Canada and might need to enter Canada with less than two weeks notice. If I cruise I can't take the chance that a CBSA agent could decide they don't like dark running shoes on Tuesdays and send me to quarantine jail for two weeks.

Since I am not a resident I don't have a home to quarantine in so it would off to the government quarantine jail for me.  

I can't imagine any non-US business traveler trying to go to Canada now.   Unless you live in Canada, essentially Canada has closed the border by making it really unattractive to go there.

They may not be calling it a border closure, but that is effectively what they have done for non-Canadian residents.

conan obrien conan25 GIF by Team Coco

So true...they have basically not made it not easy to come from US to Canada due to quarantine if you don't live here.  Even for us, DH had booked a PCR test post cruise off the ship as he was worried of a grumpy border person not accepting the ship test if done when at sea.

Best wishes to your family.  Hope they are ok.

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

IMO, the goal posts will just keep moving as they have the past 21 months.  Go now while you can.  March will be another goal post to reach.  It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

I actually agree with you.  I think our government may add even more restrictions by then.  We seem to be going backwards and even harder to cross the border....or return.

24 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

IMO, the goal posts will just keep moving as they have the past 21 months.  Go now while you can.  March will be another goal post to reach.  It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

💯 this! There is no end in sight to this control; you could put off your upcoming cruise only to be faced with more restrictions.  Canada’s healthcare system has failed to build capacity to deal with Covid related hospitalizations throughout all 4 of the waves; giving government the justification for continued lockdowns and restrictions.  Sadly,  I don’t see anything changing going forward. 

Wild horses will not keep my wife and I off of the Allure on Dec. 30th. Omicron is NOTHING - 60,000 cases in Great Britain with 10 hospitalizations. Enough of petty autocrats controlling every aspect of our lives. They have stolen our freedoms and robbed us of even the simplest of pleasures that make life enjoyable for nearly two years. Time for "health officers," virologists, and epidemiologists to go back to their labs and offices and let people live their lives without their interference.

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^^^^THIS!^^^

One question if you don't mind me asking....are you cruising just you and DH or with your kids too?  At this point DH is more worried about us with not having boosters and just hitting our 6 months post vaccine (our kids are about 5 months post second vaccine).  Such decisions....

15 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

One question if you don't mind me asking....are you cruising just you and DH or with your kids too?  At this point DH is more worried about us with not having boosters and just hitting our 6 months post vaccine (our kids are about 5 months post second vaccine).  Such decisions....

Just Hubby and I on this one.  Kids are with us in March if we make it there.

6 hours ago, Jax said:

💯 this! There is no end in sight to this control; you could put off your upcoming cruise only to be faced with more restrictions.  Canada’s healthcare system has failed to build capacity to deal with Covid related hospitalizations throughout all 4 of the waves; giving government the justification for continued lockdowns and restrictions.  Sadly,  I don’t see anything changing going forward. 

Unrealistic to expect hospitals to raise capacity the past two years when provinces can't afford to hire more staff let alone build new hospitals or ICU's.  The capacity of Canada's public system can't be built up at all without significantly raising taxes!  This is not to say that there isn't wastage of health care spending because there certainly is. But not enough to build new hospitals. 

I think someone, not sure who, has to make a call and decide that we as a society should approach COVID like we deal with the flu every year. Unfortunately some people do get sick and pass away from the flu every year, but we don't shut down society due to the flu - we just aim to prevent its impact.  Aiming to completely limit spread of COVID is not realistic.  Hopefully getting boosters will limit the likelihood that even as we get it, we don't get sick , most importantly those at highest risk.