New testing protocols starting Sept 13....

DanielB

We ordered the monitored home test kit set from eMed on Monday morning, and received it around 4 p.m. on Wednesday, a very hot time of day in south TX. Fortunately, the Fed Ex person rang the doorbell and hubby heard it (I thought it was a doorbell ringing on a tv commercial, lol.) Anyway, it's in our spare bedroom,  and it's usually pretty cool in there. 

51 minutes ago, Sushitex said:

We ordered the monitored home test kit set from eMed on Monday morning, and received it around 4 p.m. on Wednesday, a very hot time of day in south TX. Fortunately, the Fed Ex person rang the doorbell and hubby heard it (I thought it was a doorbell ringing on a tv commercial, lol.) Anyway, it's in our spare bedroom,  and it's usually pretty cool in there. 

When its in the mid to high-90s, who knows how hot it gets in the back of the delivery truck.   Hopefully  the tests aren't too sensitive to some high temp excursions.  

18 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Any folks from the toasty south have any issues with receiving this test in our seasonal above 90 weather?   Our mail always is pretty warm when we get it.  Would hate to have this thing damaged from heat soak per the warning below.

Important Note to Purchaser: The manufacturer of the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test Kit recommends test kits be stored at temperatures between 2 and 30°C (35.6 - 86°F). Any extended exposure of the test kit to temperatures beyond this range may effect quality of test results. If you have ordered home delivery of the test kit and expect temperatures in your area to be outside of this range at time of delivery, it is recommended that you arrange for someone to be home at or near time of delivery to receive the test kit or, alternatively, select a convenient pick-up location. Should you have any further questions, please contact eMed Customer Service at (866)-955-1173.

As long as the "heat damaged" test defaults to negative I'm happy ...

I ordered two tests from optum last week, cc was immediately charged but I got no confirmation of the purchase, finally got an email a few days later saying they shipped, got them in a day but they came in a bubble mailer and the boxes were all jacked up…hopefully they get better at their shipping process if Royal is using them

I ordered the six pack from eMed. Got the email confirming the order and when it was approved and shipped. Then got emails from FedEx tracking showing when it would be delivered. No issues. 
I think the warning regarding exposure to hot temperatures means over a sustained period of time…likely days. Hopefully nobody has to deal with a heat damaged test…I guess it just wouldn’t show any control result, which would negate the test. Haven’t read of anyone having a defected test yet.

Had an order of the home test from CVS -- but they cancelled it -- so I went ahead and bought a set from Optum.   Should be here on the 8th, I sail on the 13th.   Still have a test scheduled at CVS for next Saturday.    I'll Triple Vaxxed, will be double masked and have two tests ready to go.  

I might be a little anxious and excited, ya think? 

Is using a Test site such as a CVS or Walgreens still going to be accepted or is this new Binax method going to be the only one accepted?  My Insurance will not pay for a Binax test kit.  They say it is because the individual actually using the test Vs the one that the insurance pays for cannot be controlled.  This is not a very big deal but still a concern for a few of us.  Anyone with a bit more knowledge would you please chime in? 

So, how does this affect being able to cancel under the Cruise With Confidence thingy? If I have up to 48 hours before sailing to cancel, but I have to get my test within 2 days, how would canceling work if I were to test positive (i.e. would I be covered under the RC trip insurance)? I just realized how close this is cutting it -- not that I plan to have to cancel my cruise, but theoretically a test could come up positive.

27 minutes ago, skittermagoo said:

how would canceling work if I were to test positive 

Refund:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

9 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Refund:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Ah, thank you for this! Not that I'm *planning* to test positive, of course, but this gives me peace of mind.  🙂

I'm still not clear on why unvaccinated guests get an extra day ahead of boarding to receive a negative test.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of when we will be able to squeeze in testing for our January cruise.

Thursday - Working (Currently, taking this day off is not an option)
Thursday Evening - Drive 1.5 hours to hotel near Detroit Metro (We always stay by the airport the night before in case of sketchy winter driving conditions.)
Friday morning-afternoon - Fly to Ft. Lauderdale.
Saturday - Board Odyssey.

Maybe take the proctored tests on Thursday or Friday at one of the hotels?

12 minutes ago, SPS said:

I'm still not clear on why unvaccinated guests get an extra day ahead of boarding to receive a negative test.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of when we will be able to squeeze in testing for our January cruise.

Thursday - Working (Currently, taking this day off is not an option)
Thursday Evening - Drive 1.5 hours to hotel near Detroit Metro (We always stay by the airport the night before in case of sketchy winter driving conditions.)
Friday morning-afternoon - Fly to Ft. Lauderdale.
Saturday - Board Odyssey.

Maybe take the proctored tests on Thursday or Friday at one of the hotels?

That's what we're going to do, or we might just take it in the morning while waiting for our Uber to show up to drive us to the airport Friday morning. Another option would be doing a rapid test at the airport (I didn't check Miami, but Orlando International does them in the terminal and they seem to have tons of appointment times).  I didn't see what the fee was for it (it was probably there but I'm lazy and didn't look into it further).

24 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Another option would be doing a rapid test at the airport (I didn't check Miami, but Orlando International does them in the terminal and they seem to have tons of appointment times).

Good suggestion. The airport website does have a link to testing and available appointment times listed for up to a month ahead of time at the airport. (Fort Lauderdale International)

2 hours ago, SPS said:

I certainly have no particular insight here but I am going to guess that the "extra" day for unvaxxed is b/c unvaxxed must do a PCR test which can take considerably longer to process than the antigen test.  Just a guess.

57 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I certainly have no particular insight here but I am going to guess that the "extra" day for unvaxxed is b/c unvaxxed must do a PCR test which can take considerably longer to process than the antigen test.  Just a guess.

My guess as well. Plus unvaccinated tested again on boarding day anyways.

58 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Likely true. But why can't vaccinated have an extra day to do an antigen test?

That third day is just one more day someone can be exposed to covid before a cruise.  

45 minutes ago, DanielB said:

You can schedule online and the appts open 2 weeks early, or did when I was looking at it.  Today on CVS you can make appts for Sept 22.

I think you can schedule PCR 2 weeks out (the 22nd just opened today so i can make the appt for my Mariner cruise on 9/24).

Rapid tests seem to only become available a little closer to the time, i havent quite figured it out yet but it seems like a couple of days ahead.

My current plan - PCR on 9/22, book a Rapid for 9/23 in case the 9/22 appt falls though and then if all else fails crack open the home test kit on 9/24 before heading to the port .... sounds like a fun start to the vacation 😉

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Thanks!  Do you happen to know how far in advance you can schedule a Rapid test, and if you do so online?

It's different everywhere. The Walgreens stores in my area only open scheduling 2-3 days prior. If you go and look online as if you are going to need to test soon you will be able to get an idea of the window where appointments open up. CVS near me will schedule the PCR 2 weeks out but the antigen looks like it's not available to schedule or already booked up 2 weeks out, but if you look at closer-in dates there are appointments for antigen.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

I think you can schedule PCR 2 weeks out (the 22nd just opened today so i can make the appt for my Mariner cruise on 9/24).

Rapid tests seem to only become available a little closer to the time, i havent quite figured it out yet but it seems like a couple of days ahead.

My current plan - PCR on 9/22, book a Rapid for 9/23 in case the 9/22 appt falls though and then if all else fails crack open the home test kit on 9/24 before heading to the port .... sounds like a fun start to the vacation 😉

Maybe different dates in different parts of country as the 22nd was open for Rapid in Ohio today.  So better check your area to find out what is offered in your area.  

4 hours ago, DanielB said:

Maybe different dates in different parts of country as the 22nd was open for Rapid in Ohio today.  So better check your area to find out what is offered in your area.  

My area of Florida seems to be releasing Rapid tests at about 2-3 days ahead but regular tests at about 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, BarbieBell said:

We are on the Harmony out of Barcelona Oct 24 and will be leaving Texas on Oct 20 for a few days in Barcelona before the cruise. How can I get our tests done under these circumstances?  

If you are vaccinated you only need to present vaccination proof to fly and enter Barcelona at appears at the moment.  

597105219_ScreenShot2021-09-13at6_25_20AM.thumb.png.062387ca275a28f194863441f06504f8.png

It then appears to get on the ship Royal is testing at the pier all guests, currently

564720778_ScreenShot2021-09-13at6_26_36AM.thumb.png.9fa30feee0cab6f29351d98cf5ef06a0.png

Right now it appears if you are vaccinated you just need to show proof and show up.  Testing protocols change often and I would keep checking your air providers website for requirements as well as Royal.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I know Royal Caribbean wants us to get a PCR covid test or a rapid antigen test.  I am seeing that it is hard to find locations with Rapid Antigen.  I saw today on the Q&A section on Royal Caribbean website, after scrolling down that they say we can also get an Abbott ID Now Rapid test.  

When you go CVS/Walgreens they offer all 3 of these tests, very limited locations offer the Antigen one though.

Has anyone gotten the Rapid ID Now test at either of these pharmacies for your cruise??  I just want to make sure that test will be accepted.  I’ve called Royal a few times and I am getting different answers.

43 minutes ago, pjr12pjr said:

I know Royal Caribbean wants us to get a PCR covid test or a rapid antigen test.  I am seeing that it is hard to find locations with Rapid Antigen.  I saw today on the Q&A section on Royal Caribbean website, after scrolling down that they say we can also get an Abbott ID Now Rapid test.  

When you go CVS/Walgreens they offer all 3 of these tests, very limited locations offer the Antigen one though.

Has anyone gotten the Rapid ID Now test at either of these pharmacies for your cruise??  I just want to make sure that test will be accepted.  I’ve called Royal a few times and I am getting different answers.

I've been using Walgreens ID NOW for a number of cruise and cruise lines including Odyssey earlier this month.  It qualifies since it is NAAT.