Carnival Implements 2 Day Test Requirement as of Sept. 13, 2021

Just got back from a Walgreens rapid test 2 days before my Sunday cruise.  

My standard approach has been PCR test at 3 days (because CVS here only has PCR tests but offers them 2 weeks in advance) followed by a Walgreens rapid test (because Walgreens only offers tests within the next 48 hours but they are rapid).

Each is a backup to the other in case the facility closes or lab screws up.   

And just in case both CVS and Walgreens let me down I have the Binax proctored test 6 pack as my final back up which I can do the day before the cruise if it really comes down to it.

As someone who has been getting tested within 2 days for a number of cruises the switch to 2 day testing will have no impact on my ability to cruise.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just got back from a Walgreens rapid test 2 days before my Sunday cruise.  

My standard approach has been PCR test at 3 days (because CVS here only has PCR tests but offers them 2 weeks in advance) followed by a Walgreens rapid test (because Walgreens only offers tests within the next 48 hours but they are rapid).

Each is a backup to the other in case the facility closes or lab screws up.   

And just in case both CVS and Walgreens let me down I have the Binax proctored test 6 pack as my final back up which I can do the day before the cruise if it really comes down to it.

As someone who has been getting tested within 2 days for a number of cruises the switch to 2 day testing will have no impact on my ability to cruise.

Seems like the time is ripe for  a frequent tester loyalty program.  🤣    The "Swabee" program? 

I am sure, not really a conspiracy theorist, that the CDC keeps moving the goals because they don't want cruising happening. From a scientific standpoint I get that 2 days is better than 3, as 3 day was better than 5, but come on! Work with me people! The lines are doing way more than other business and yet the CDC keep trying to flux it up. As I travel from Chicago to the ports, I am only required to wear mask. I don't have to show vax proof or negative test to stay in hotels. Granted I want to cruise, its been 2 years since I went on an actual vacation. But like @twangster I refuse to book anything else until things become a bit more standard.

25 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

But like @twangster I refuse to book anything else until things become a bit more standard.

What?  I'm booking more every week.  It's a great time to cruise.  No lines, no elevator wait.  

My test results from this morning just came in...

1718022971_ScreenShot2021-09-03at11_48_48AM.thumb.jpg.c4aceaaf8513bb92046a013f48d15919.jpg

I'm cruising this weekend!

Bring.  It.  On.    

3 hours ago, twangster said:

It's also interesting to see the different expectations placed on cruise lines.  Should airlines test everyone boarding a flight?  Should a resort in a beach destination test everyone arriving?  Should Vegas test everyone going to gamble?  Should Amtrak test everyone boarding a train?  Why should cruise lines be required to do what no other vacation is required to do?

To answer your questions:

Yes

Yes

Yes

and Yes

Also, with college football starting, should those going into a stadium be tested? I

If the CDC is placing these requirements on the cruising industry, then those same requirements should be placed on everything else. But they won't do that because as has been proven, the CDC does not like the cruise lines. I wonder if the CDC Director had a really bad experience on a cruise ship once and now she's like, "Cruising bad, I will make it stop"  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

What?  I'm booking more every week.  It's a great time to cruise.  No lines, no elevator wait.  

My test results from this morning just came in...

1718022971_ScreenShot2021-09-03at11_48_48AM.thumb.jpg.c4aceaaf8513bb92046a013f48d15919.jpg

I'm cruising this weekend!

Bring.  It.  On.    

Awesome!!!

When we were on Allure last week, we did not have to wait for a single elevator. Our cabin was on deck 14 and we could go all the way to 4 and back up again without stopping.

We have 8 cruises booked with 5 in the next 5 months. Vaccinated early and boostered this week (is that even a word?). Purchased enough Binax tests to cover us and a year's insurance policy. Why, BECAUSE I AM GOING CRUISING AND NO CDC CRAP IS GOING TO STOP ME! Started last month with Adventure and going to enjoy ourselves from our year and a half stoppage of vacations. The ships and folks aboard are cleaner and nicer than what we visit weekly and a whole lot less crowded. Only 3 more weeks till the next one.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

While true, PCR tests don't tell you if you're infectious or not, just if you've been exposed to the virus at some point in the last several months.

It's quite disappointing we're still using test strategies that are a year or more old and that with all the brainpower we have, there hasn't been a more accurate test created.

Untrue - the PCR test (according the the Cleveland clinic) indicates if you have COVID-19.   An antibody test tells you if have been exposed to the virus (not if you are infectious).   It's a very distinct and important difference as a PCR will indicate if you are infectious and is also why an antibody test will not suffice for travel.

PCR is the gold standard and is more sensitive and accurate than antigen testing which is commonly accepted in the US for travel

(and unfortunately not in Canada as PCR are double the cost)

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/21462-covid-19-and-pcr-testing

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There hasn't been a more accurate test created b/c they still cannot even isolate the SARS COV-2 virus !

Also untrue - the covid virus has been isolated (last year).  See link for details.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html

7 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Untrue - the PCR test (according the the Cleveland clinic) indicates if you have COVID-19.   

The link you provided says the PCR merely detects the presence if the virus, even dead virus. 

it does not detect if you've actually been infected and have developed covid-19. The virus and disease are two separate things

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it

While true - the fact that it technically "can" detect small amounts of dead virus, and will detect small amounts of the virus at the tail end of an infection after an individual has fought off the virus, I think I was trying to stress that PCR is the gold standard at detecting the virus at the beginning of an infection.   For this reason it is recommended that if you've had covid you do not have another PCR test for 90 days post-recovery.

You commented:   While true, PCR tests don't tell you if you're infectious or not, just if you've been exposed to the virus at some point in the last several months.

I believe this explanation of the test to be hyperbolic -   PCR is the literal global gold standard and will tell absolutely you if you're infectious - not "just" if you've been exposed.   For this reason it is recommended that if you've had covid you do not have another PCR test for 90 days post-recovery.

I'm not wanting to debate the intricacies of the virus vs the disease (a la HIV and AIDS) as I understand the distinction and is a very different conversation than we were having.  I was trying to point out that the PCR test does not only detect if you've already had COVID.   It is used internationally and has been deemed to be the most effective test on earth by scientists and researchers that have far more knowledge and education than most of us (combined) and I will defer to their expertise.

I just wanna cruise. 😩

18 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

If COVID testing will be required for a considerable amount of time until this crisis is over, Royal should set up its own version of eMed.  Hopefully, it will not be the interns manning this ship.

Quoting myself here ha ha… Royal has indeed set up their own version of eMed.  I read on @Matt’s blog post that Royal will have at-home test kits available for order starting September 8th.

EDIT:  They’re working with eMed