Carnival Implements 2 Day Test Requirement as of Sept. 13, 2021

In a FB live video brand ambassador John Heald announced a few items of interest as it relates to protocols.

• Existing protocols will remain through the end of 2021.
  • As of September 13 all guest will require a negative test result taken no more than 2 days or 48 hours from embarkation.
  • Carnival is working to establish rapid testing capabilities at all ports.

Carnival is abiding by all CDC recommendations despite an injunction by a federal judge lifting the CDC's CSO for Florida based cruises.  Recently the CDC updated it's recommendations to include a 48 hour test window prior to embarkation and Carnival is implementing this change as of September 13.  

To ease the burden the 2 day testing window will place on cruisers Carnival is working with a testing vendor to add rapid testing capabilities at all ports it is sailing from.  It's not known when the new testing will become available.  John Heald indicated this isn't designed to be the primary testing mechanism and urged guest to continue seeking tests in advance of boarding day.  The onsite testing is intended to be a backup in case guests can not find a test within the 2 day testing window.  He did not address the cost for onsite testing but emphasized guests should seek tests before arriving on site.  

Since Carnival did not perform CDC simulation cruises it must maintain at least 95% vaccinated on board per CDC recommendations.  For anyone unvaccinated including children of all ages they must apply for an exemption to be considered for the 5% unvaccinated that can be accommodated on board any given sailing.  John Heald indicated these protocols will remain in effect for the rest for 2021.

While unfortunate, I have always believed that the protocols would stay the same or get a bit worse until the beginning of 2022. I just read that they are trying to  do away with free covid testing.  At least CCL will try to offer testing at the piers. It looks as though the CDC want the cruise industry to fail. 

Carnival's policy: https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Effective with sailings as of September 13, 2021, the CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Mobile Testing

We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

MSC Cruises has also implemented 2 day test requirement as of Nov. 1, 2021.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/caribbean-cruises

Nov. 1 Miami and Port Canaveral sailings:

NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED*: All guests 2 years and older — regardless of vaccination status — must provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test at the pier. The test must be taken no more than 2 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. Fully vaccinated guests must provide either a negative RT-PCR test, negative NAAT or negative antigen test. See below for more details about tests.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Man why can't one of these cruise lines just say "CDC, look at our data. We're doing just fine. There's no need to make things even more difficult for passengers with no improvement in safety"

If the CDC really cared, they'd offer to pay for all testing done day of the cruise

The CDC doesn't listen to cruise lines.  I think that's been well established.

The federal government does pay for testing.  The problem is availability.  

The CDC is doing the change to 2 day to make it less convenient to cruise.  They are not doing this based on science or data.  The last thing the CDC is going to do is pay for it or make it convenient.  

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Man why can't one of these cruise lines just say "CDC, look at our data. We're doing just fine. There's no need to make things even more difficult for passengers with no improvement in safety"

If the CDC really cared, they'd offer to pay for all testing done day of the cruise

You answered your own concern in the last line of your post.

So we are all fully vaccinated (except for my 11 year old)... fly out of Canada on the Dec 10 for a cruise on the 12th.

Have to have antigen tests done to enter the US... with the three day window we could have used that same test to board... now we have to find somewhere to get tested when we land in Florida.   So instead of basically staying in our hotel room and self-isolating and ordering in takeout we now have to go out in public to a testing site, thus increasing our exposure risk, to obtain another test in a state where masking doesn't seem to be a commonly accepted measure of caution.

It's a smidge bonkers.

The change was posted minutes after we made our final payment. Awesome.

7 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

This is where the self-administered, proctor-supervised, at-home tests will come in handy.  We'll be traveling 2 days prior to our next cruise, so having the self-administered tests that we can do in the hotel will be a relief.

But the availability of the proctor can be a problem.  There's also the internet signal at your location.  In some hotels, the wifi service cannot support streaming.

3 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

2 days!!   damn.        I priced out covid test for same day results,  looking at an additional cost of 1,750.00(Family of 4). I'm sure I can probably find something cheaper.  i still have to pay for flights..

hope things gets more relaxed as we get closer to Jan 2022

Do they offer antigen tests near you? We have results in 15 min for 75$. 300 for 4 people seems like a much better pill to swallow!

I recently tried the at home proctor test and decided to use for the rest of my cruises. They do proctoring 24/7 and I waited 11 min to connect to someone. 15min after I did the test I had email of results. We will order 2 sets of test, so $350 for piece of mind is a small price to pay. Yes it will be free to get a test at CVS or Walgreens, but if you can get an appointment. They have been cancelling peoples appointments and running out of appointments. We will be at the theme parks before the cruise, in Orlando, so I doubt we will find convenient locations or times. Factor in people needing to get test 2 days before sailing and I don't want the stress.

5 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I recently tried the at home proctor test and decided to use for the rest of my cruises. They do proctoring 24/7 and I waited 11 min to connect to someone. 15min after I did the test I had email of results. We will order 2 sets of test, so $350 for piece of mind is a small price to pay. Yes it will be free to get a test at CVS or Walgreens, but if you can get an appointment. They have been cancelling peoples appointments and running out of appointments. We will be at the theme parks before the cruise, in Orlando, so I doubt we will find convenient locations or times. Factor in people needing to get test 2 days before sailing and I don't want the stress.

Interesting $350 - I think you can find some cruises with a pp price point of about $350. 😉

@cruisellama The 6pc box of test are about $164 with shipping and 5 people will be going on the Oct 31st sailing. They recommend 2 test per person. That's only like $60pp. I won't be able to sail on a $350pp cruise without a negative test. If I can't get a free test then I am looking at $65+ pp in hopes that I can get it in time. I would rather forego the stress of hoping to find a testing center and just get 2 packs of test.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

@cruisellama The 6pc box of test are about $164 with shipping and 5 people will be going on the Oct 31st sailing. They recommend 2 test per person. That's only like $60pp. I won't be able to sail on a $350pp cruise without a negative test. If I can't get a free test then I am looking at $65+ pp in hopes that I can get it in time. I would rather forego the stress of hoping to find a testing center and just get 2 packs of test.

Not at all arguing -  no issue  saving the stress.    Excuse the attempt at some humor 😉

8 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Falling in line, like good little soldiers. 

I expect RCI to line up shortly.

Princess has joined the group too, beginning Sept 19:

UPDATED: Will I need to have a pre-travel viral COVID-19 test performed prior to boarding the ship?

Yes, on voyages sailing through September 12, 2021, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 3 days of their embarkation.

On voyages sailing September 19, 2021 and after, in accordance with CDC directives, ALL guests will be required to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) result taken within 2 days of their embarkation. If sailing on Sunday, the test may be taken on Friday and Saturday, and as late as Sunday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.

Guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test along with proof of full vaccination upon arrival in the terminal and can then proceed on board.

Guests who travel internationally should always ensure they understand all entry and airline requirements to travel from their home country and the destinations they plan to visit, including where health authorities may require pre-travel COVID-19 testing. In addition to mandatory pre-travel COVID tests for vaccinated guests, guests who have traveled internationally in the 14 days prior to embarkation, will require an antigen test at embarkation. For US sailings, this excludes travel to Canada.

We expect these requirements will be temporary and we appreciate your cooperation and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

@cruisellama haha I was like wait do they not understand I was talking about testing. I saw the wink and thought you were being extra obtuse. I always forget that this blog is full of nice people.

Oan........ I think testing will be a thing until maybe spring. I believe they will announce 2 day testing soon. I also don't think RCG can really afford to take on anything else. Between the customer service reps, interns and well just plain employees, they haven't really been able to ensure smooth sailing. There has been the B2B botched protocols, crazy unvax lady, the confusion over C&A perks, vax/covid testing confusion, and the general wording of their protocols. I mean both Royal IT and Royal math has been crazy😛.

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@cruisellama haha I was like wait do they not understand I was talking about testing. I saw the wink and thought you were being extra obtuse. I always forget that this blog is full of nice people.

Oan........ I think testing will be a thing until maybe spring. I believe they will announce 2 day testing soon. I also don't think RCG can really afford to take on anything else. Between the customer service reps, interns and well just plain employees, they haven't really been able to ensure smooth sailing. There has been the B2B botched protocols, crazy unvax lady, the confusion over C&A perks, vax/covid testing confusion, and the general wording of their protocols. I mean both Royal IT and Royal math has been crazy😛.

To me, this testing issue is a greater inconvenience than getting the jabs.  I think everyone  shares the frustration of the constantly moving goal lines, after you comply with something there's a - "wait a minute - now do this....".    Like running a marathon and getting to the end, then they tack on another 3 miles....   If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could hypothesize that by compressing embarkation test opportunities, you make it much harder for those who must fly into a port from greater distances; hence you begin limiting convenient cruise opportunities to passengers' local ports/regions.  (almost looks  likes like evolving isolation of the guests by continent:  N America, Europe, Asia etc ) That keeps guests, who have to use air travel experience on their way to a ship to inner continental flights.   You have to be an adaptable enthusiast to jump through all the new hoops.  I have a number of bookings lined up, but I will not make anymore new ones until I get through these late '21 early  '22 events.   Overthinking it as usual.

2 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

To me, this testing issue is a greater inconvenience than getting the jabs.  I think everyone  shares the frustration of the constantly moving goal lines, after you comply with something there's a - "wait a minute - now do this....".    Like running a marathon and getting to the end, then they tack on another 3 miles....   If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could hypothesize that by compressing embarkation test opportunities, you make it much harder for those who must fly into a port from greater distances; hence you begin limiting convenient cruise opportunities to passengers' local ports/regions.  (almost looks  likes like evolving isolation of the guests by continent:  N America, Europe, Asia etc ) That keeps guests, who have to use air travel experience on their way to a ship to inner continental flights.   You have to be an adaptable enthusiast to jump through all the new hoops.  I have a number of bookings lined up, but I will not make anymore new ones until I get through these late '21 early  '22 events.   Overthinking it as usual.

I got vaccinated solely so that I could cruise without dealing with this garbage.

If I have to deal with the garbage anyway I will probably go find something else to do pretty soon.

19 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I got vaccinated solely so that I could cruise without dealing with this garbage.

If I have to deal with the garbage anyway I will probably go find something else to do pretty soon.

And that is exactly the conclusion the CDC wants you to reach.

I'm NOT going to cancel because %$#^ the CDC.  I am not going to let them win.  

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  I would hate to get to the port and find out I can't board.  But I think the lines should bring in a test contractor, in the terminal area,   so the embarkation test can be the most current (which is what they should want to show).  Heck - add it to the price of the cruise.  There needs to be a better job at making these added requirements seamless when you're paying $$ for a vacation.  I think if they adopted that model, those coming from greater distances would have a desire to mitigate risk on their end before getting turned away at the port.

8 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  

While true, PCR tests don't tell you if you're infectious or not, just if you've been exposed to the virus at some point in the last several months.

It's quite disappointing we're still using test strategies that are a year or more old and that with all the brainpower we have, there hasn't been a more accurate test created.

3 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  I would hate to get to the port and find out I can't board.  But I think the lines should bring in a test contractor, in the terminal area,   so the embarkation test can be the most current (which is what they should want to show).  Heck - add it to the price of the cruise.  There needs to be a better job at making these added requirements seamless when you're paying $$ for a vacation.  I think if they adopted that model, those coming from greater distances would have a desire to mitigate risk on their end before getting turned away at the port.

I took an MSC cruise when they were including antigen testing in the terminal.  It worked out pretty well.  I was just under one hour from walking in the door to walking on the ship.  

The problem with this approach is with unknown positive cases showing up at the terminal and waiting in the same waiting areas as everyone else for their test result. The person two seats away in the waiting area gets called out with a positive test result.  I was six feet away for 45 minutes.  Am I a close contact now?  Do they flag everyone in my waiting area?  

The benefit to advance testing is keeping unknown positive cases away from the port entirely.  

It's also interesting to see the different expectations placed on cruise lines.  Should airlines test everyone boarding a flight?  Should a resort in a beach destination test everyone arriving?  Should Vegas test everyone going to gamble?  Should Amtrak test everyone boarding a train?  Why should cruise lines be required to do what no other vacation is required to do?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

And that is exactly the conclusion the CDC wants you to reach.

I'm NOT going to cancel because %$#^ the CDC.  I am not going to let them win.  

I agree with the sentiment but with about $20,000 sitting on various cruises at the moment, I am about ready to back off and go do something that isnt going to have me wound up and irritated.

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

When we did the Freedom in July we had an unvax party member with us, the testing in the terminal was no big deal.

If it was just that for the whole group I wouldnt have a problem, but its having to chase down tests for all the party and have backup plans and backup backup plans, etc

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's also interesting to see the different expectations placed on cruise lines.  Should airlines test everyone boarding a flight?  Should a resort in a beach destination test everyone arriving?  Should Vegas test everyone going to gamble?  Should Amtrak test everyone boarding a train?  Why should cruise lines be required to do what no other vacation is required to do?

Because the f'ng CDC says so.