Florida $5,000 fines to start September 16

Jill

3 hours ago, JeffB said:

I'm not confident that US airlines won't impose a requirement to show you've either been vaccinated or tested negative for COVID to board. The cruise industry has taken the lead here, doing just that. Others will follow if they are following the science and the facts on this. Other venues, some already doing it, will require proof of vaccination to enter.

Here's the problem for the US. As a nation, we are woefully unprepared to leverage technology to insure people moving about aren't spreading SARS2. This isn't rocket science. The EU has been doing it since July.  EU citizens can't get around and experience unrestricted mobility and/or behaviors without an EU COVID Certificate. It's digital, has a QR code and can't be forged.

A system like this should be in use in North America to better control the spread of the virus. I'm also an advocate for track and trace apps. The EU has implemented both measures and despite the usual suspects complaining about privacy and big brother, the system is almost universally used. Stupidly, the US can't get it's act together here and make this technology widely used. There is going to be resistance; there's the politics at play ..... again. The legality of this approach here isn't entirely clear (that's already been tested in Europe and it's legal). 

This has nothing to do with cruising.  If you want to give your freedoms up then by all means move to Europe.

@JeffB "I'm also an advocate for track and trace apps".

Whether it be cruising or cruise lines, air travel domestically or internationally, visiting family or places unknown...you have a right to want to be tracked and traced all over the place. And apparently the technology is available to do just that.

And I have a right to not want that, for travel or life in general. Enjoy your trip and your grandchildren.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, twangster said:

Fines are starting to make the news.  Waiting for the appeal in the courts to see if cruise lines get nailed.

Hmm must be getting close to bonus time for the lawfirms ... time to tee up another round of "I sue, you appeal, i appeal, someone reappeals. we agree to decide nothing and move on to the next year"

27 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Hmm must be getting close to bonus time for the lawfirms ... time to tee up another round of "I sue, you appeal, i appeal, someone reappeals. we agree to decide nothing and move on to the next year"

But the all the attorneys involved get richer.  Should be a new wave of sports cars and powerboats coming to Florida soon.  

I find it interesting that they choose a County Government as the only entity that they are currently trying to enforce this law on.  People voted that County administration in which really creates a question about whose "rights" are being protected.  It will also be interesting to see if such selective enforcement will become an issue, along with how this law applies to Governmental entities vs. private businesses.  No question, lots of billable hours for attorneys in Florida.