Florida $5,000 fines to start September 16

Jill

How is this going to pan out for the cruise lines? The fines haven’t been imposed up to this point and now Royal is vaccinated only out of Florida along with other lines. I thought we possibly had gotten past this point. What a soap opera. 

https://www.news4jax.com/business/2021/09/01/ask-for-covid-vaccine-proof-face-a-5000-fine-in-florida/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wjxt4&fbclid=IwAR09AZ9bhAGOQ8V1CQnekaVR34GQiRZxSr1ojAC72uPNy9DCR697WJmo3bQ

7 minutes ago, Jill said:

How is this going to pan out for the cruise lines? The fines haven’t been imposed up to this point and now Royal is vaccinated only out of Florida along with other lines. I thought we possibly had gotten past this point. What a soap opera. 

https://www.news4jax.com/business/2021/09/01/ask-for-covid-vaccine-proof-face-a-5000-fine-in-florida/

Wouldn't believe this has any impact to the cruise lines, other than for maybe a handful of sailings that don't stop in the Bahamas or St. Thomas. Right now, what the cruise lines are doing would be no different than the airlines enforcing a proof of vaccination requirement for entry to a country or territory. Now an argument could be made for the cruise lines to not stop at those ports requiring proof. However, the same argument should be made for airlines not to fly to regions requiring proof.

I don't believe it will affect the cruise lines. However, this will affect a lot of other places like schools and other Florida based business that want vax to be the go to. Honestly this whole thing with the vax/unvax has been a massive flustercuck. In Chicago, well Illinois, all school workers must be vax. This lead to a bunch of school bus drivers quitting, leaving 1000s of students without transportation. Plus mask are back for everyone....at least I will be prepared for my Oct sailing. 

I believe requiring proof of vaccination to receive service from a business in FL is prohibited under the law. However, as far as travel to another country, where proof of vaccine is a requirement for entry…then travel providers such as cruises and flights can enforce vaccination proof at the point of boarding. Even if that happens to be in FL.

1 minute ago, BrianB said:

I believe requiring proof of vaccination to receive service from a business in FL is prohibited under the law. However, as far as travel to another country, where proof of vaccine is a requirement for entry…then travel providers such as cruises and flights can enforce vaccination proof at the point of boarding. Even if that happens to be in FL.

This isn't about the law or doing what's right.

This is about politics and pandering to a base to gain support on a national level for a run at the presidency.  He is out to get his name in the national headlines.  Fining Carnival millions accomplishes that goal.  Anything with "cruise' in a headline gets massive media attention.  It's a perfect storm for him.   He needs attention at any cost.  

Royal has never "required" proof of vaccination to sail.  Not up until the Bahamas required proof of vaccination.  Carnival did require proof of vaccination to sail.  They denied service to unvaccinated.  They have more potential exposure in this matter.

That doesn't mean he won't go after Royal too but he knows he'll lose in court so he might not.  Carnival on the other hand will make for a nice juicy headline in the media.    

I'm in two minds on this one.

On the one hand I don't like the idea of anything getting in the way of getting cruising going.

On the other hand I really don't like the idea of vaccine mandates, opens a very slippery slope in my mind (and yes I know it sort of exists in other areas for other things already) that I don't like being an option with the way the country is already polarizing more and more.

And no its not because I am refusing the vaccine, I have mine thank you and I wear a purple silicone wristband everyday to remind everyone that Royal says I can identify as vaccinated.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

This isn't about the law or doing what's right.

This is about politics and pandering to a base to gain support on a national level for a run at the presidency.  He is out to get his name in the national headlines.  Fining Carnival millions accomplishes that goal.  Anything with "cruise' in a headline gets massive media attention.  It's a perfect storm for him.   He needs attention at any cost.  

Royal has never "required" proof of vaccination to sail.  Not up until the Bahamas required proof of vaccination.  Carnival did require proof of vaccination to sail.  They denied service to unvaccinated.  They have more potential exposure in this matter.

That doesn't mean he won't go after Royal too but he knows he'll lose in court so he might not.  Carnival on the other hand will make for a nice juicy headline in the media.    

DeSantis is not going after any cruise line. If he was he would have already gone after carnival. That would be political suicide. And anyway all RC needs to do is stop in the Bahama's on any cruise out of FL. 

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

Sure it can. 

The Bahamas can say we wont let you in if you dont agree to any number of things, doesnt mean Florida has to allow it. Just means you have an impasse and both sides lose.

Nonsense, are they going to start to fine air  lines? 

There is long standing precedent here that Florida will not be able to overcome. 

I'm realizing that the pandemic will continue to create a myriad of travel problems. This is the new travel reality and it's not going away for a while, maybe ever. It seems most of us here are obsessive about planning and being prepared to not be surprised last minute, including myself. Up until just recently, it created a lot of stress that made the thought of traveling during the pandemic unpleasant. Surprise ...... things work out.

This isn't to say throw up your hands and don't care. That's dumb. Do your research on the places you want to go and how you're going to get there. Know that there will be changes before you're traveling and probably while you're traveling. The most important thing is to get excited about the beautiful places you will visit and see getting there. Don't let the hoops you have to jump through to get there get you down or make you consider cancelling. Don't let changes that occur doing your travels upset you. Go with the flow ..... have a martini!

Having said that, since July, I've been to Greece and sailed Apex out of Pireaus in the Greek isles for 8d and sailed a B3B on Equinox out of PEV for 28 consecutive days in the Caribbean. On September 27th we leave for 3d in Lisbon, on to Lausanne Switzerland for 10d to visit my daughter who lives there. She's had a baby, Elysa (my 12th grand child), who is now over a year old whom I have not yet held (current trip moved up from 2020). From there we fly to Barcelona and sail back on Apex to Fort Lauderdale, our current residence. 

So far, all the hoops jumped through have been totally worth it. For the trip to Europe coming up there have been multiple changes in flights, cruise itineraries and dates, health protocols for country entry and cruise ship boarding requirements. One good thing is that every carrier has been on top of these and kept me informed of what I need to do to comply. Like I said above, things work out. Testing in Europe is available all over, easy to locate and in some cases it's free. Traveling between EU countries almost always requires proof of vaccination and a negative COVID test (Molecular or Antigen).

I'm ignoring the politics of COVID and most of the MSMS' reporting about it. Besides almost all of it having hidden agendas that bend their reporting on it to fit that agenda, It just causes me to get angry. Instead, I'm focusing on the joy of travel. It's there. It's just become more complicated to get to where you want to go ...... but rest assured, governments want their travel and leisure economies to grow and thrive while at the same time coming up with reasonable ways to keep COVID at bay. In some places, the travel and leisure sector IS that place's economy.  

The things I have to do to get to Europe and back this coming trip ARE complicated but easy to find what you need to know and do. Lots of testing and we are adding even more to protect my daughter's un-vaccinated little ones in case we were exposed during travel before we stay with them. We'll arrive from Lisbon, stay in a nearby hotel for 3d (a self imposed modified mini-quarantine; we'll visit outdoors or masked indoors but not stay overnight at their place), then test (easily available in Switzerland). If we're not infected, we'll stay with my daughter unmasked then test again at the airport to enter Spain/Boar Apex and on to Barcelona. 

This sort of thing is the new travel reality. Don't stress out over it. You can either let COVID keep you home or you can travel using the right approach to doing it safely. It's possible.

13 minutes ago, JeffB said:

On September 27th we leave for 3d in Lisbon, on to Lausanne Switzerland for 10d to visit my daughter who lives there. She's had a baby, Elysa (my 12th grand child), who is now over a year old whom I have not yet held (current trip moved up from 2020).

I bet this trip is the most anticipated.  Congrats on getting to meet and love on your newest granddaughter.  ❤️

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It's the new cruising reality at least.

Correct ....... I'm realizing, actually more accepting, it is also the new travel reality.

Look, it's been nearly 2 frigging years since SARS2 first appeared on the planet. Democratic governments and scientists advising them don't agree on most things pertaining to SARS2, it's spread, how to prevent it without crushing economies or restricting social mobility and basic freedoms. They can't get their shit together to either get their messaging right or provide guidance. Uniformity in managing the pandemic? Non-existent between states in the US and countries globally. Selfish nationalism is pervasive and prevents arriving at common solutions. Everyone is confused then political polarization rising globally sets people against each other and that prevents rational discourse and problem solving.

My solution? I know how to keep myself healthy and protect others from COVID. My personal opinion is that SARS2 isn't going away and the primary reason for that is that more than half of the planet either can't get vaccinated or refuse to. That's reality. I can't change that. OTH, in addition to accepting inconvenience and change in the pandemic environment, if you take basic health steps, and avoid unnecessary infectious disease risk taking, avail yourself of available therapeutic protective measures including testing, you can travel safely ANYWHERE.

I'm acting on that belief and pretty much ignoring what our own governments, federal, state and local, are telling us.    

45 minutes ago, Jennifer Burke said:

So I am confused. I thought RC is requiring all people over 12 to be vaxed, regardless of whether they are stopping at Bahamas. I am going to Western Caribbean with no stops at the Bahamas on the Allure in Dec. Will the requirement still be all vaxed on the ship?

Just make use u check the below link, RC has details of what u need for each ship.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

3 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

So not all ships out of Florida require to be vaxed? 

If the ship doesn't visit the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas) then they will allow unvaccinated provided they pay for the extra testing and travel insurance. Cococay is in the Bahamas so falls in the vaccination required rules and it's hard to find a ship that doesn't stop there.

12 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

If the ship doesn't visit the Bahamas or the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas) then they will allow unvaccinated provided they pay for the extra testing and travel insurance. Cococay is in the Bahamas so falls in the vaccination required rules and it's hard to find a ship that doesn't stop there.

When you read the protocols though for sailing out of Florida, it states everyone 12 and older have to be vaccinated. It doesn’t state exceptions. 

24 minutes ago, Jill said:

When you read the protocols though for sailing out of Florida, it states everyone 12 and older have to be vaccinated. It doesn’t state exceptions. 

I think they went to straight everyone vaccinated over 12 to cut down on the complication of having to think about what cruise goes where.

14 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Royal changed to 12 and over vaccinated regardless of destination out of Florida, just like the rest of the embarkation states. 

22 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Mine doesn't. The only one it seems. The Allure. I would just feel more comfortable having all vaxed. 

I remember originally unvaxx were allowed based on vague descriptors but since the island now require everyone over 12 to be vaxxed, it has become a moot point. That is the whole point of the wrist bands and designated areas. Since then some ports have changed, I believe the wording on the protocols were updated to reflect vax only 12+

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, smokeybandit said:

It's not a travel reality though, at least domestically. I'm flying across the country tomorrow and the most I have to do is say "I feel good today"

I'm not confident that US airlines won't impose a requirement to show you've either been vaccinated or tested negative for COVID to board. The cruise industry has taken the lead here, doing just that. Others will follow if they are following the science and the facts on this. Other venues, some already doing it, will require proof of vaccination to enter.

Here's the problem for the US. As a nation, we are woefully unprepared to leverage technology to insure people moving about aren't spreading SARS2. This isn't rocket science. The EU has been doing it since July.  EU citizens can't get around and experience unrestricted mobility and/or behaviors without an EU COVID Certificate. It's digital, has a QR code and can't be forged.

A system like this should be in use in North America to better control the spread of the virus. I'm also an advocate for track and trace apps. The EU has implemented both measures and despite the usual suspects complaining about privacy and big brother, the system is almost universally used. Stupidly, the US can't get it's act together here and make this technology widely used. There is going to be resistance; there's the politics at play ..... again. The legality of this approach here isn't entirely clear (that's already been tested in Europe and it's legal). 

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

I'm not confident that US airlines won't impose a requirement to show you've either been vaccinated or tested negative for COVID to board. The cruise industry has taken the lead here, doing just that. Others will follow if they are following the science and the facts on this. Other venues, some already doing it, will require proof of vaccination to enter.

Here's the problem for the US. As a nation, we are woefully unprepared to leverage technology to insure people moving about aren't spreading SARS2. This isn't rocket science. The EU has been doing it since July.  EU citizens can't get around and experience unrestricted mobility and/or behaviors without an EU COVID Certificate. It's digital, has a QR code and can't be forged.

A system like this should be in use in North America to better control the spread of the virus. I'm also an advocate for track and trace apps. The EU has implemented both measures and despite the usual suspects complaining about privacy and big brother, the system is almost universally used. Stupidly, the US can't get it's act together here and make this technology widely used. There is going to be resistance; there's the politics at play ..... again. The legality of this approach here isn't entirely clear (that's already been tested in Europe and it's legal). 

Surely you would agree however, that the cruise lines taking the lead on vaccination proof and testing, did not occur without outside pressure. I don’t see that pressure being applied to domestic airlines, it was proposed last month and summarily shot down at the federal level. 
I am in agreement with everything you have posted, and as a healthcare professional am completely in favor of a system like the EU system (AKA Schengen Visa), and I concur that the USA has woefully failed in doing what’s best for the country in this regard.