Snorkel at Trunk Bay Excursion canceled at Saint Johns Island

Rob83

We are are headed on our first cruise  in 7 years and first trip with Royal  Caribbean (Allure Of The Seas September 19th-26th). We are so excited! In the past we have gone on Carnival so Royal Caribbean will be a new experience. We definitely newbies to cruising but love it!

We booked a snorkel excursion to Trunk Bay on Saint John island  at our stop in Saint Thomas (through Royal Caribbean). The excursion was canceled due to “operational reasons” per their email today. We are really disappointed as we had been there before and it was our favorite memory  in the Caribbean!

Could we go to Trunk Bay on our own and would it be recommended? We quickly booked an excursion to swim with sea lions at Coral World Ocean Park and after swimming/snorkel at Coki Beach. It was a new excursion after the cancellation and we thought it looked fun and It may go fast. Has anyone had a good experience on this excursion or at Coki beach? Does anyone have recommendations on good beaches to snorkel or things to do in and around Saint Thomas?  

We are sad about not going to Trunk Bay if doing it on our own isn’t an good option. But it may be good to try something new. Any advice would be appreciated! 

In previous years the advice would have been that St John on your own is doable when the ship has a longer stop in St Thomas. 

Here in 2021/2022 I'm not sure there is a lot of experience with tourists using the local ferries to make a recommendation.

Coki Beach is a smaller beach but still a very nice beach.  Historically there has been an abundance of Sergeant Majors and Yellow Jacks hanging around at one end who have been willing to approach very close to swimmers.  Snorkelling out a bit and you'll see Parrot fish and other reef fish.

It's been a few years since I've lived on St. Thomas and I'm sure things have changed but Coki Beach is where I used to take my kids to swim with fishes and it is very close to Coral World.

Twangster, thanks for the response! Covid does make trying to go the Trunk Bay a little more concerning with possible delays. Out of curiosity, as it sounds like  you may have been to Saint Thomas many time, what is your favorite beach and or snorkeling beaches in you opinion?  

4 hours ago, Rob83 said:

what is your favorite beach and or snorkeling beaches in you opinion?  

St. John ? 

But on St. Thomas Coki is good for kids because there will be sea life.  Lindquist Beach is larger and often less crowded.  Some snorkeling there.  The crowds flock to Magens Bay Beach where the beach is great but snorkeling isn't really a thing. 

A boat excursion that picks up at the ship area can get to some slightly offshore areas for better snorkeling and it's always nice to get a on boat and see the island from the water.