New To 3 Night Dining Package: Help Please!

CJS2766

So, I decided to purchase my first ever dining package. My question is? It says that your first reservation will be made for you based on your time selection. My question is? How does RC pick the restaurant for you or do they? I just want to make sure that we pick the 3 that WE want. Sorry if this is a dumb question. We just want to make sure we dine where and when we want ?

Good question and good decision; you won't be disappointed.  I assume they choose the first night based on bookings, expectations, or their crystal ball.

From my experience, once I've boarded, I go directly to the Specialty Restaurant I'd like eat on the first night to verify and make all of the dining reservations for the entire cruise right then and there.  They have always accommodated.  You may not get the exact time you want every night, but they will work to satisfy your wishes.

If you have been assigned (or will be) a concierge or Genie, they can take care of getting you the reservations you want.  Check with them as soon as possible.

Good eats!!

Get on board and head to a specialty restaurant and you can make all of the reservations you want there. They sometimes will have a kiosk in the Promenade set up as well, but I've found it less crowded at the restaurants themselves. You can also make reservations on the app. If you forget and don't make a reservation, they will at least have a courtesy one made for you. I would think it shows up in your app, but I'm not sure as I've always made the reservations. You can switch them up even after the reservations have been made as long as they have space for you.

The few times i purchased the 3 night dining package you are asked to choose either the first or second night and your time and they always assigned me to Chops.  Best thing to do is go to one of the specialty restaurants or one of the crew selling dining packages when you get on board and make your reservations for all 3 nights.

I usually purchase the 3 night package on a seven day cruise. The only issue I have is I can’t  make reservations before boarding day. Then, after boarding, I go directly to any restaurant host desk and make all my reservations for the week. The one reservation made for you is just a place holder. Just change after you board.

With these new protocols, I decided not to purchase the package. I’d rather spend a little more and just make my individual specialty reservations in the cruise planner prior to sailing day. This way I’m guaranteed the times I want. Less pre-boarding stress.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to inquire about the 3 day dining package which I purchased. 

I understand you need to do a courtesy booking for either day 1 or Day 2?

Once I board the ship can I make the reservations all on the app? But if for some reason it doesn't work, I can make all the bookings at the specialty restaurant? 

Also can I make the reservations for dining but not on Day 1 and day 2 of the cruise? But rather for example book them day 3,4 and 5?

Thanks again for all your help in advance. 

We met a couple on a cruise that had only been on a few, this was their first time on Royal, and were celebrating their 40th anniversary. I checked with the desk in Chops and they agreed to use two nights of our DP to accommodate our guests and we invited them to join us for dinner.  They even did an anniversary celebration for our guests.

Not sure it would work on every ship but when on a cruise...ask...because they do try and want to see you back on board in the future. 

9 hours ago, Jayhoaps said:

Just wanted to inquire about the 3 day dining package which I purchased. 

I understand you need to do a courtesy booking for either day 1 or Day 2?

Once I board the ship can I make the reservations all on the app? But if for some reason it doesn't work, I can make all the bookings at the specialty restaurant? 

Also can I make the reservations for dining but not on Day 1 and day 2 of the cruise? But rather for example book them day 3,4 and 5?

Thanks again for all your help in advance. 

Hi, I used the 3 day dining package back in June.  Yes, you have to pick either Day 1 or Day 2. But once you are on board, either go to the nearest specialty restaurant or dining kiosk.  There you can switch your courtesy booking to any day plus reserve your other 2 meals.  Since I had an 11 am boarding time, I was able to get everything I wanted. But go prepared - knowing which restaurants and what days/times you want along with a plan B, plan C, and a plan Z.

2 hours ago, FireFishII said:

Hi, I used the 3 day dining package back in June.  Yes, you have to pick either Day 1 or Day 2. But once you are on board, either go to the nearest specialty restaurant or dining kiosk.  There you can switch your courtesy booking to any day plus reserve your other 2 meals.  Since I had an 11 am boarding time, I was able to get everything I wanted. But go prepared - knowing which restaurants and what days/times you want along with a plan B, plan C, and a plan Z.

Thanks so much for your reply.. Where can I find the nearest dining kiosk? Is that in the main dining area? 

On 11/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, Jayhoaps said:

Thanks so much for your reply.. Where can I find the nearest dining kiosk? Is that in the main dining area? 

Someone correct me if I am wrong.  When I was on Allure of the Seas, I entered on Deck 5.  This is the Royal Promenade deck. Along the Promenade, there will be dining kiosks set up.  There are there only for embarkation day.  I don't know if there were any in the MDR.  I stopped looking for the kiosks after I had set up my dining reservations.  There are also lots of staff around in that area that can answer any questions you have.  

2 hours ago, FireFishII said:

Someone correct me if I am wrong.  When I was on Allure of the Seas, I entered on Deck 5.  This is the Royal Promenade deck. Along the Promenade, there will be dining kiosks set up.  There are there only for embarkation day.  I don't know if there were any in the MDR.  I stopped looking for the kiosks after I had set up my dining reservations.  There are also lots of staff around in that area that can answer any questions you have.  

You are correct in regard to deck 5. The MDR will not make specialty restaurant reservations. They only deal with MDR reservations. There may also be tables set up close to the WJ and of course you can go to any specialty restaurant that is open and they will do them.

On 11/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, FireFishII said:

The kiosks on deck 5 (embarkation) have the ability to make your reservations for all of the specialty restaurants?  I thought we had to go to a specialty restaurant to do this.  

5 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

The kiosks on deck 5 (embarkation) have the ability to make your reservations for all of the specialty restaurants?  I thought we had to go to a specialty restaurant to do this.  

Yes, they have laptops at the kiosk and can access all of the restaurants with the exception of Izumi. That one may or may not be accessible from the kiosks. I've experienced it where they were able to book me at a kiosk and other times where I had to visit Izumi to make the Izumi reservation.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:16 PM, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, they have laptops at the kiosk and can access all of the restaurants with the exception of Izumi. That one may or may not be accessible from the kiosks. I've experienced it where they were able to book me at a kiosk and other times where I had to visit Izumi to make the Izumi reservation.

Thank you!  That is helpful.  We plan on doing on niight at Izumi Hibachi so maybe we will go directly to Izumi to book our 2 other reservations too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we just booked a cruise for September 2023 on the Wonder of thr Seas and we also purchased a 3 night specialty dining package. Just wanted to confirm that you cannot make reservations to these restaurants until you are on board? I worry that we will get on board and we will be told there are no reservations available for the places we want to eat. Has anyone every had issues with not getting the restaurants they want?

2 hours ago, eriveles75 said:

Hi, we just booked a cruise for September 2023 on the Wonder of thr Seas and we also purchased a 3 night specialty dining package. Just wanted to confirm that you cannot make reservations to these restaurants until you are on board? I worry that we will get on board and we will be told there are no reservations available for the places we want to eat. Has anyone every had issues with not getting the restaurants they want?

I've never had issues getting reservations on embarkation day.  You may not get the exact time you want, but I've never had trouble getting something within a half hour of when I wanted.

4 hours ago, eriveles75 said:

(1) True... you cannot make reservations pre-cruise if you purchased a dining package (eg. Chops+1, 3-Night Dining, Unlimited Dining). Generally speaking, only a la carte restaurant reservations can be made through the Cruise Planner prior to the sailing.

(2) We've had the same experience as @SpeedNoodles in the past. We've always been able to book the restaurants of our choice without issue once onboard (at least within 15/30 minutes of the time). It's one of the first things you will want to do once your board the ship. You can stop by ANY specialty dining restaurant and make all of your reservations at one time since the specialty restaurants share the same reservation system.

One of the reasons we love to grab that earlier boarding window is so we can explore, relax, and make our specialty dining reservations and get them out of the way. Everyone that has purchased a dining package will be doing the same thing at some point after they board, so the later in the day on embarkation day you wait, you will find the availability will start to dry up a bit.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, JohnK6404 said:

(1) True... you cannot make reservations pre-cruise if you purchased a dining package (eg. Chops+1, 3-Night Dining, Unlimited Dining). Generally speaking, only a la carte restaurant reservations can be made through the Cruise Planner prior to the sailing.

(2) We've had the same experience as @SpeedNoodles in the past. We've always been able to book the restaurants of our choice without issue once onboard (at least within 15/30 minutes of the time). It's one of the first things you will want to do once your board the ship. You can stop by ANY specialty dining restaurant and make all of your reservations at one time since the specialty restaurants share the same reservation system.

One of the reasons we love to grab that earlier boarding window is so we can explore, relax, and make our specialty dining reservations and get them out of the way. Everyone that has purchased a dining package will be doing the same thing at some point after they board, so the later in the day on embarkation day you wait, you will find the availability will start to dry up a bit.

Did you make a reservation for Izumi from a different specialty restaurant? I read in another thread you have to go directly there to make a reservation for their restaurant.  For any other restaurant, you can go to any kiosk upon boarding or any specialty restaurant for any other reservation.  

I'm asking because we want to make a reservation at Izumi for their hibachi meal.  So I figure I should just head straight there to make all my reservations.

25 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Did you make a reservation for Izumi from a different specialty restaurant? I read in another thread you have to go directly there to make a reservation for their restaurant.  For any other restaurant, you can go to any kiosk upon boarding or any specialty restaurant for any other reservation.  

I'm asking because we want to make a reservation at Izumi for their hibachi meal.  So I figure I should just head straight there to make all my reservations.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure about Izumi... to date we haven't booked Izumi as part of the 3-night package when we first board. We recently have booked it separately/a la carte for lunch once onboard. Just a side note... Sometimes, especially very early in the sailing, they come around asking if you would like to make a la carte specialty dining purchases/reservations at a discount.

Hopefully, someone can provide better insight regarding Izumi. You may also want to consider sending Royal a message through their FB page... this way you won't have to wait on the phone. They are generally very responsive, but it may take a couple of hours in the current climate (Black Friday sale system issues, etc.).

image.thumb.png.0d4d5c1103cc739570803b29b96c2b08.png

14 hours ago, Pooch said:

On a similar topic, if half our group wants Hibachi and half want sushi, can we reserve & sit together? Or are the 2 areas separate?

The areas are separate. On Oasis class as an example, Izumi is split in half... one side has the hibachi/teppanyaki tables and the other side is a traditional table seating restaurant with a sushi bar. I'm not sure (we have never tried) if you can order off the "regular" menu on the hibachi side.

On Quantum class ships, they completely separated the two... "Izumi" is the sushi/traditional table service restaurant and "Teppanyaki" is the hibachi/grill table restaurant and is located on another part of the ship.

Here are the two restaurants on Odyssey...

E39AC4DA-97BE-4338-842B-41F8AD21789B.thumb.jpeg.ca210f1cc0585e77f68111e755368924.jpeg

3159E218-B3F6-47E8-8087-7284D57F8687.thumb.jpeg.2e46842ace6d8fb71b908e00d45db1b4.jpeg

069ADEFF-B99B-4E3B-8692-5E318C11DA01.thumb.jpeg.dbef5405fc1be13bc2fcf3a5207c4e71.jpeg

7BACDC37-5F0B-4C54-9C38-C241D8633329.thumb.jpeg.398eedada805853325e0ee08c11746fc.jpeg

E8578529-CB84-4320-B815-85D0155020C3.thumb.jpeg.f4e55bf7b55b0939350693893ab9be21.jpeg

37F3D15E-C410-49F2-8846-D3E2AF84DF1E.thumb.jpeg.36b70cf753c37d6d9faa0ca3df76410a.jpeg

A few years ago we went to the teppanyaki restaurant (can't recall which ship - sorry) and decided that we wanted some sushi.  They brought it to us at the grill - no problem.  We were Star Class so we did not have to pay anything additional for the sushi but they did say that if you ordered anything from the sushi side and were not SC, that you would be charged.  I have no idea if that's still the way things are working...but that was my experience BC.

• 1 month later...

In the 3 night package description on the website says "

• Unlimited visits to specialty dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.  How does unlimited visits applies here? I thought it was only 3 visits on 3 nights  

4 hours ago, Viv said:

In the 3 night package description on the website says "

• Unlimited visits to specialty dining restaurants every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.  How does unlimited visits applies here? I thought it was only 3 visits on 3 nights  

Definitely ignore that! It's a typo! That's part of the description for the Unlimited Dining Package. At this point, I'm not surprised with Royal and these types of typos! 

Yes, 3 specialty restaurant dinners over any 3 evenings. Our Cruise Planner has the same typo for the 3-night dining package. Even your "courtesy" reservation may be changed once onboard.

• 2 months later...

How does the pricing work for Chops and Giovanni's with this package?  Is everything already included?  The website talks about a credit and a surcharge and it's very confusing.  

From the website:

What's Included

• Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

1 hour ago, Liz Quick said:

How does the pricing work for Chops and Giovanni's with this package?  Is everything already included?  The website talks about a credit and a surcharge and it's very confusing.  

From the website:

What's Included

• Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

The text is generic to apply to all ships.  Some restaurants are only on certain ships.  Even without knowing what ship you are on, we can say the following:

Bullet 1 - You get dinner at 3 specialty restaurants - Chops and Giovanni's are specialty restaurants so you can choose them.

Bullet 2 - Neither Chops or Giovanni's are a la carte pricing restaurants so this doesn't apply

Bullet 3 - This is about Izumi Sushi so this doesn't apply to Chops or Giovanni's

Bullet 4 - This is about Izumi Hibachi and Chef's Table so this doesn't apply to Chops or Giovanni's

In general, all food is included unless specifically noted on the restaurant's menu.  For example, there used to be a Seafood Tower appetizer at Chops that cost extra.  That one isn't there anymore but there might be something new.

• 1 month later...

What time did y'all board for those of you that 

On 12/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, JohnK6404 said:

What time was your check-in? I know that check-in can begin as early as 10/10:30, but our check-in time is 12:30. I'm assuming that might impact reservation availability? It's my first cruise, so I'm unsure what to expect.

1 hour ago, BChabera said:

'm assuming that might impact reservation availability?

Welcome to the forum! With a 12:30 check-in you'll likely still get most of the restaurants you want, just probably not at your preferred date/time.

14 hours ago, BChabera said:

What time did y'all board for those of you that 

What time was your check-in? I know that check-in can begin as early as 10/10:30, but our check-in time is 12:30. I'm assuming that might impact reservation availability? It's my first cruise, so I'm unsure what to expect.

We always do our check-in ASAP (as soon as it opens after midnight Eastern time) and select the earliest available time which is usually 10:30 am or 11:00 am at the latest especially when we're coordinating multiple reservations so we can arrive and board together.

As @ZBrady mentioned above, as long as you take care of the reservations as soon as you board you should be OK, but may need to make some compromises with day/time.

5 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

We always do our check-in ASAP (as soon as it opens after midnight Eastern time) and select the earliest available time which is usually 10:30 am or 11:00 am at the latest especially when we're coordinating multiple reservations so we can arrive and board together.

As @ZBrady mentioned above, as long as you take care of the reservations as soon as you board you should be OK, but may need to make some compromises with day/time.

Thank y'all both for the info!  I'm also in a junior suite, so based on what I've seen I should be able to check in early and get to the restaurants sooner, right? Or have I misunderstood?

27 minutes ago, BChabera said:

Thank y'all both for the info!  I'm also in a junior suite, so based on what I've seen I should be able to check in early and get to the restaurants sooner, right? Or have I misunderstood?

Check in time for suites is an hour each way, so for a noon you can come at 11 or 1.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:01 PM, Pooch said:

On a similar topic, if half our group wants Hibachi and half want sushi, can we reserve & sit together? Or are the 2 areas separate?

The two areas are separate but visible from each other. When we did Hibachi, my son wanted a sushi role and Izumi sent it to him to the Hibachi side. 
Hibachi sells out quick. You sit around the the Hibachi grill and it’s a show. Many were walking in when we were there but could not be accommodated. I did Izumi in a separate reservation and went on my own another day since they are both different experiences and food that I love. 
For us, it will be our 3rd Hibachi experience in August and will always do if available. We book quickly. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, knigtmare said:

Does the $20 a day a la carte count as one of the 3 specialty dining? I have the 3 night dining package and it says you can go to a la carte and spend up to $20 a day so I'm wondering if that is separate or does that count as one of my 3 choices. 

It would count as one of your 3 choices. You are better off paying out of pocket for the a la carte place and using your 3 meals at the cover charge restaurants instead.

• 8 months later...