Costa Maya excursions

Cruiser58

7 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

I'm interested in suggestions for things to do in Costa Maya. We don't want anything too strenuous. It looks like there is just the standard tourist shops at the pier. We're not interested n diving or atv type excursions - I'm not that adventurous!

There is a cruise created walled in shopping area at the port that is very typical of what you would see in other ports - there is some shopping in town and at the beach area.  The beach area is very nice with plenty of shade if you don't want sun.  There are some very good Mayan ruins nearby that are not strenuous to enjoy. 

Unfortunately, there is not a lot else as this is basically a remote fishing village that was turned into a port by the cruise lines.

I'm so curious about Maya Chan, too! We have reservations for our Oct 1 cruise from Galveston, but the most recent review I see on Google says that the water is unswimmable and the smell is so bad, it's tough to stay on the beach even. I'm bummed because I know it's not the owners' fault, but I think we'll have to cancel.  Has anyone been in August who can give a review?  

11 hours ago, SarahBrown said:

I'm so curious about Maya Chan, too! We have reservations for our Oct 1 cruise from Galveston, but the most recent review I see on Google says that the water is unswimmable and the smell is so bad, it's tough to stay on the beach even. I'm bummed because I know it's not the owners' fault, but I think we'll have to cancel.  Has anyone been in August who can give a review?  

We're planning on being there next week, so hopefully, it'll be a good experience!

4 hours ago, Cruiser58 said:

We're planning on being there next week, so hopefully, it'll be a good experience!

I can't wait to hear about it!  Be sure to come back for an update. Via email, Mike just reassured me that it should be great and if not, he'll let us know and give us a refund before we get off the ship. They have such a stellar history of great service, so I'm keeping the reservation and crossing all my fingers and toes!

14 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Are there cheap places in Mahahual to just grab a beach chair and enjoy the beach? I am hoping for something where I can just walk up and get a lounger, without having to make reservations. I don't care about all inclusive drinks and food, just a place to park my carcass.

A popular one thrown around (and one I've been to) is Krazy Lobster. $1 little beers and food with beach access and plenty of chairs. Had a great day there on my last cruise in 2019! 

The easiest way to get there is to walk outside the port area and catch a taxi. Tell them you want to go to Krazy Lobster and they'll take you directly there. Last I remember, Taxis were like $2 a person (but that could have changed). 

http://www.thekrazylobstercostamaya.com/

On 8/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, Steve in Orlando said:

We reserved a day at Maya Chan -  Had good reviews from CruiseTipsTV and Matt from RCB

https://costamayabeachresort.com

More later, but Maya Chan Beach was great!

Only drawback is that you have to walk a long pier, make your way through the maze of port shops until you get outside the port to reach the rendezvous spot.

Taxi ride (included in the Maya Chan price) was a about 45 minutes, and very rough! But once you get there, it's well worth it. The people are very nice, and quite attentive. The food (various tacos) was fresh and very tasty. The cocktails were good,  also.

You can do as little, or as much as you want. Snorkeling gear, kayaks, floating chairs, water socks are all included.

Nice breeze, cabanas, chairs everything was great. Service couldn't have been better. 

We hated to leave. 

On 9/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, SarahBrown said:

I can't wait to hear about it!  Be sure to come back for an update. Via email, Mike just reassured me that it should be great and if not, he'll let us know and give us a refund before we get off the ship. They have such a stellar history of great service, so I'm keeping the reservation and crossing all my fingers and toes!

It is well worth it. The only downside was the bumpy ride back and forth. Great service, drinks and food. Breeze was blowing most of the time. The is a lot of sea grass on the beach next door, so occasionally, there would be a slight smell. But I would go again in a heartbeat. 

On 8/31/2021 at 5:32 PM, stevendom57 said:

Please report back to us when you return about Maya Chan. I am considering visiting there in November.

Matt was there the day before us, and he posted a blog about it. It lived up to its reputation. Great service, food, and drinks. The ride there was a bit bumpy, but I would go again in a heartbeat. 

Matt just posted an post-shutdown review of Maya Chan on the blog's home page

Can you share a link? I can't find it. Looking forward to being there in less than 3 weeks now!
@cruiser58, were you able to snorkel?  We are hoping to kayak out and get some visibility in the water. We are prepared for the bumpy ride there! 🙂

Can you share a link? I can't find it. Looking forward to being there in less than 3 weeks now!
@cruiser58, were you able to snorkel?  We are hoping to kayak out and get some visibility in the water. We are prepared for the bumpy ride there! 🙂

Found it! https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/09/09/odyssey-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-4-costa-maya

We had Maya Chan booked for 2 of our cancelled trips so no experience there but we have been to Jaime's and Tropicante and would go back to either one.  Same general area you'll need to get a taxi from the port.  Norma nailed it with the service at Jaime's.  Not sure of their status post Covid?

On 9/9/2021 at 1:30 PM, stevendom57 said:

Are there cheap places in Mahahual to just grab a beach chair and enjoy the beach? I am hoping for something where I can just walk up and get a lounger, without having to make reservations. I don't care about all inclusive drinks and food, just a place to park my carcass.

Nohoch Kay Beach Club.  Best Fresh fish and shrimp!

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up LOVING Maya Chan! We were there October 3 and had a great time. Our drive was only 22 minutes.  We timed it.  It may be 45 minutes including the walk, but the drive wasn't bad at all for us. I wrote a lengthy review!  Here's the long review with photos.

In a Nutshell:  Do yourself a favor and go.  Just go.  My bet is that you will not regret it.  It’s the relaxing day you may not have realized you needed.  The location is dreamy.  The staff are kind and attentive.  The owners have set it up to make it very comfortable and stress-free for the guests. Just go.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:58 PM, SarahBrown said:

We ended up LOVING Maya Chan! We were there October 3 and had a great time. Our drive was only 22 minutes.  We timed it.  It may be 45 minutes including the walk, but the drive wasn't bad at all for us. I wrote a lengthy review!  Here's the long review with photos.

In a Nutshell:  Do yourself a favor and go.  Just go.  My bet is that you will not regret it.  It’s the relaxing day you may not have realized you needed.  The location is dreamy.  The staff are kind and attentive.  The owners have set it up to make it very comfortable and stress-free for the guests. Just go.

OMG...we were there with you guys!