Correspondence with Royal Genie for Star Class

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I have been spending all day looking into all things cruising!  Like many of you, I cannot wait to get on board.  Had a question for Star Cruisers...When initially emailing your Royal Genie, besides the questionnaire, what other information have you given to your Genie?  If needed will the Genie correspond frequently with you before the cruise?  Is it crazy of me to have a document prepared with all of our preferences and general information about my husband and I sent upon initial contact?  We have some "wish requests" that may not be able to be granted but I want to try because it seems like the Genies do have magical powers lol.  I have seen a couple of examples of request/preference sheets but if anyone has more insight on this, I would appreciate it!  I do know from my readings that I need to request to be reserved at CK for filet night LOL.  Anything else that I should definitely request?  I do not want to be imposing from the start, but we do want to form a connection with our Genie and make sure we get the most out of our experience.

Thanks!

Andrew

It is not uncommon to have a list/document prepared when your Genie emails you.  Some Genies correspond more frequently than others because they are busy with guests onboard. It all depends, but once you get onboard, you can be sure they will do everything possible to make the experience special for you.

I think a document outlining your preferences is a very good idea.  I did not do this on our first star class cruise (rookie mistake as it was also our first Royal cruise ?) but will definitely be doing it going forward. I think it may make it easier for the genie as well; rather than having to look at multiple email threads they have it in a single document.  
Requests are really a personal thing, but ours were pretty basic. We had the genie schedule activities like I fly, Northstar, Escape Room, sea plex activities and entertainment. For instance we wanted to do Northstar at sunset and I Fly multiple times.  It’s best to have them book these time slots beforehand as space can fill up quickly.  If you change your mind, your genie can always cancel your time slot.  We also let our genie know we wanted a bridge tour (I think those may be temporarily suspended due to covid) We provided a list of restaurants we wanted to eat at and those we did not … if you are specific about eating at a specialty restaurant on a particular day , let your genie know. We wanted to eat at Chops Christmas Day and have breakfast on our deck Christmas morning so our genie arranged that …. A word of advice be very specific on any special requests/condiments on any room service orders. We were 0 for 3 and that was putting our order in through our genie. We generally avoid in room dining for this reason but thought we would give it a try. Probably would not do it again. Thank goodness we had a 14 year old son that didn’t mind running for the forgotten items.  Lol  In terms of the frequency of communication with your genie, it varies from genie to genie. Some are better at pre cruise communication while others may be better at delivering a fabulous onboard experience. You kind of have to go with the flow and trust the process. It will be fantastic in the end!!  

22 minutes ago, Jax said:

A word of advice be very specific on any special requests/condiments on any room service orders. We were 0 for 3 and that was putting our order in through our genie. 

This is such a good recommendation - not only for SC but for ANY room service.  Generally, they will bring you exactly what you ask for and nothing more.  If you want butter....be sure and include that.  If you want ketchup or sugar or jam ....you have to ask for it.  When it comes to food orders, I have learned it is best to give the Genie (or the Concierge) a written request that includes all of the extras.  It just makes things easier.

Maybe we're just lucky but we have had very good luck with in-suite dining as long as you ask for everything up front.  When you are staying on Deck 17 it's not that big a deal to go and get something that may have been forgotten but if you are in one of the ATS or the UPS that would NOT be convenient at all.

I know that most SC pax write down the things that they want the Genie to do.  We have never done that BUT again, it is always just the 2 of us.  I think when kids are involved it adds a whole new complication factor.

Yes, your Genie will comm with you about 30 days prior to boarding (that was BC.  Not sure what the timeline is these days).  As @Lovetocruise2002said, some Genies are better communicators than others but even the ones that aren't that great at keeping in contact will respond eventually. 

Remember...if you want a cabana on Labadee, the Genie can do that for you.  No hurry as Genies have priority and can get yours first.  If you want a cabana on PDCC, you must reserve that yourself as the Genies do not have priority access to those.  As I recall, the Genie intro letter will remind you about cabanas.

@Jaxwhat a great idea about North Star at sunset.  I never thought of that !  I'll bet it was gorgeous.  I'll have to keep that little secret in one of the files in my head.  LOL

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

what a great idea about North Star at sunset.  I never thought of that !  I'll bet it was gorgeous.  I'll have to keep that little secret in one of the files in my head.  LOL

This detail didn’t make my Blog. I am sure it would have been but our genie overlooked the days shortening so we missed it by about 30 minutes. It was a total dark view from up there. ? ?‍♀️

42 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

When you are staying on Deck 17 it's not that big a deal to go and get something that may have been forgotten but if you are in one of the ATS or the UPS that would NOT be convenient at all.

It wasn’t fun on Anthem in a GLS either but thankfully Reyd was up for the challenge. Lol 

Thank you everyone!  Some great ideas here!  Is Coastal Kitchen a great option besides filet night to book for multiple dinners?  Normally on Royal we have mostly done the specialty dining rooms only because we have not been huge fans of the MDR's offerings on Royal (the food has not always been consistent).  @WAAAYTOOO, I have been working with Private Journeys to book an excursion to celebrate our anniversary.  While doing so I asked Private Journey's about the Labadee Cabanas (I did mention Barefoot Beach) and she said they were all sold out.  I remember you have mentioned the Labadee cabanas for SC before and I figure they may have not release the Cabanas on Barefoot Beach yet.  

2 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

I asked Private Journey's about the Labadee Cabanas (I did mention Barefoot Beach) and she said they were all sold out.

I find this extremely unlikely. Barefoot Beach cabanas are not sold online and SC has first dibs.  Even the suites Concierge cannot book BB cabanas until the SC pax have been offered and declined.   I really don’t think that all of the other SC pax have gulped down all of the BB cabanas already.  I recommend you revisit this request once you hear from your Genie.  This says a lot to me about the Private Journey folks.