Star Class Question: Royal Up

tonyfsu21

“If” we win an upgrade from Crown Loft to Star Class Aquatheatre 2BR for our next sailing I am imagining our introduction to the Genie will be last minute. Normally our CC gets charged about 2-3 days before which would mean it’s pretty much a quick shift from sky class to star class. Are there any issues getting the most out of the planning and pre work from this service? We are sailing with multiple parties and would like to set up a dinner party in the suite from giovannis (pizzas exc) for the kids and then something else for the adults. How do they work around the fact that technically only 4 of us would be star class? Would they actually charge extra to the people not in star class? What about beverages stocked in the suite? Can we get the place stocked with enough alcohol and soda for up to 12 people? Thanks in advance. 

My responses are, of course, based on before-COVID (BC) realities so answers may be subject to current conditions.

IMO, the most important information that the Genie gleans from the advance contact are things like what kind of drinks you prefer to be stocked in your suite and whether or not you have food allergies, etc.  All of that can be relayed to the Genie in plenty of time, even on short notice.  ...and if, for some reason you still do not relay that information to the Genie before boarding, it only takes 1 visit from the beverages guy (he comes at least once per day to replenish...or did, BC) to fix it all.  If you want something special (food, etc.) on boarding day, you might or might not get that information relayed in time. IMO asking for special food on embarkation day is a nuisance for everyone.  I would recommend that you wait until at least day 2 for any kind of suite event - especially involving food.

You should have no problem organizing any kind of event IN your suite.  You can invite anyone you wish to your suite and they can enjoy any food and beverages that you enjoy.  There would be no cost unless you want liquor or wine.  Where  you will sometimes run into issues is if you try and organize something OUTside of your suite.  Then it becomes much more complicated and the chances are higher that you might be asked to pay for non-SC pax.  Dining in specialty restaurants is a good example.  Obviously, anyone staying in the SC suite will have no charges but those who are at the table with you who are NOT SC will be expected to pay.  It is in everyone's best interest to make sure that the non-SC are aware of this fact and not taken by surprise that they will most likely receive a bill.  I say "most likely" b/c I have experienced certain isolated situations where the non-SC seated with SC did not receive a bill....but the "rule" is clear - non-SC must pay. When you are served in your suite, you will not be charged for anyone - or at least, my experience has been that there is no charge, regardless of how much food or drinks are consumed.  Again - based on BC experiences.  Tipping is appropriate (I know I don't have to tell you that....).

What beverages will be on hand for you ?  The Genie/beverage guy will stock any kind of water, juice, soft drink or beer that is regularly available on the ship.  If you ask for something NOT regularly available on the ship (diet Ginger Ale, caffeine-free soda, etc.) you probably will not get it - especially now.  I have heard of Genies going out into town on turnaround day and procuring special requests for pax but this is really rare and I would not expect it to happen these days.  It is possible to have individual drinks (wine, liquor) delivered to your suite although we have never asked for this on any of our SC cruises.  It just seemed decadent when I can walk my fat a$$ down to the bar and get it myself if I want it that bad...especially on Deck 17.  There is a drink cart that comes around in the afternoon with select drink options but we never ever seemed to time it right and have never even seen one !  You can have bottles of wine delivered but there is a charge.  Liquor is a very complicated issue and they strongly discourage it.  Can it happen ?  Yes, but it's neither reasonably priced nor easy to do...by design.  One of the only complaints I have ever had about my SC beverage service was that there was TOO much brought to the suite so I think you will have no problem at all getting as many drinks delivered as you could possibly want.  We actually had the beverage guy remove some of them the last time, they just kept coming and coming and coming.  It was a ridiculous amount of cans and bottles for just 2 people !!  I will make 1 recommendation...if you want a lot of beer to be available in your suite, you will probably have to ask for an ice chest to be brought it.  The only cooler that is in your suite is the same size as everyone elses...super small and not cool at all.  This is a request that I would (and always do, BTW) make with the Genie PRE boarding.  Let the Genie know that you expect an ice chest filled with XX beer all iced and cooled down for when you board.  If you don't make that specific request ahead of time, you will have plenty of warm beer with nowhere to cool it down or store it.  We always keep an ice chest full of ice in our suite.  Sometimes they will have to scout around to find an ice chest (most often it is actually supplied by one of the attendants !!) but I've never had them fail to produce one, eventually.

Just remember - inside the Suite - anything goes - all free for everyone.  Outside of the Suite - maybe yes, maybe no (extra $$).

I hope you get the RoyalUp upgrade.  It will be sooo nice for your whole group !!

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My responses are, of course, based on before-COVID (BC) realities so answers may be subject to current conditions.

IMO, the most important information that the Genie gleans from the advance contact are things like what kind of drinks you prefer to be stocked in your suite and whether or not you have food allergies, etc.  All of that can be relayed to the Genie in plenty of time, even on short notice.  ...and if, for some reason you still do not relay that information to the Genie before boarding, it only takes 1 visit from the beverages guy (he comes at least once per day to replenish...or did, BC) to fix it all.  If you want something special (food, etc.) on boarding day, you might or might not get that information relayed in time. IMO asking for special food on embarkation day is a nuisance for everyone.  I would recommend that you wait until at least day 2 for any kind of suite event - especially involving food.

You should have no problem organizing any kind of event IN your suite.  You can invite anyone you wish to your suite and they can enjoy any food and beverages that you enjoy.  There would be no cost unless you want liquor or wine.  Where  you will sometimes run into issues is if you try and organize something OUTside of your suite.  Then it becomes much more complicated and the chances are higher that you might be asked to pay for non-SC pax.  Dining in specialty restaurants is a good example.  Obviously, anyone staying in the SC suite will have no charges but those who are at the table with you who are NOT SC will be expected to pay.  It is in everyone's best interest to make sure that the non-SC are aware of this fact and not taken by surprise that they will most likely receive a bill.  I say "most likely" b/c I have experienced certain isolated situations where the non-SC seated with SC did not receive a bill....but the "rule" is clear - non-SC must pay. When you are served in your suite, you will not be charged for anyone - or at least, my experience has been that there is no charge, regardless of how much food or drinks are consumed.  Again - based on BC experiences.  Tipping is appropriate (I know I don't have to tell you that....).

What beverages will be on hand for you ?  The Genie/beverage guy will stock any kind of water, juice, soft drink or beer that is regularly available on the ship.  If you ask for something NOT regularly available on the ship (diet Ginger Ale, caffeine-free soda, etc.) you probably will not get it - especially now.  I have heard of Genies going out into town on turnaround day and procuring special requests for pax but this is really rare and I would not expect it to happen these days.  It is possible to have individual drinks (wine, liquor) delivered to your suite although we have never asked for this on any of our SC cruises.  It just seemed decadent when I can walk my fat a$$ down to the bar and get it myself if I want it that bad...especially on Deck 17.  There is a drink cart that comes around in the afternoon with select drink options but we never ever seemed to time it right and have never even seen one !  You can have bottles of wine delivered but there is a charge.  Liquor is a very complicated issue and they strongly discourage it.  Can it happen ?  Yes, but it's neither reasonably priced nor easy to do...by design.  One of the only complaints I have ever had about my SC beverage service was that there was TOO much brought to the suite so I think you will have no problem at all getting as many drinks delivered as you could possibly want.  We actually had the beverage guy remove some of them the last time, they just kept coming and coming and coming.  It was a ridiculous amount of cans and bottles for just 2 people !!  I will make 1 recommendation...if you want a lot of beer to be available in your suite, you will probably have to ask for an ice chest to be brought it.  The only cooler that is in your suite is the same size as everyone elses...super small and not cool at all.  This is a request that I would (and always do, BTW) make with the Genie PRE boarding.  Let the Genie know that you expect an ice chest filled with XX beer all iced and cooled down for when you board.  If you don't make that specific request ahead of time, you will have plenty of warm beer with nowhere to cool it down or store it.  We always keep an ice chest full of ice in our suite.  Sometimes they will have to scout around to find an ice chest (most often it is actually supplied by one of the attendants !!) but I've never had them fail to produce one, eventually.

Just remember - inside the Suite - anything goes - all free for everyone.  Outside of the Suite - maybe yes, maybe no (extra $$).

I hope you get the RoyalUp upgrade.  It will be sooo nice for your whole group !!

Thank you so much for this excellent information. I am 100% going to ask for an ice chest for lots & lots of beer!

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Let the Genie know that you expect an ice chest filled with XX beer all iced and cooled down for when you board.

Dos Equis is my favorite beer served by Royal. 
I brought and will continue to bring a Yeti cooler bag, it holds a twelver with lots of ice. (I use it as carry on during air travel). Put beer and ice in it. We take it to pool also. 

I am following as well. My family is sailing SC in April on Oasis. We just (like an hour ago)  surprised my husband’s mom and his brother and family. We are paying for them to come on the cruise. They will be staying in ocean view balcony rooms. We definitely want them to come hang in the suite and we’re wondering about this very question. Thank you for asking! PERFECT TIMING! ?

• 4 months later...