Recent Change to Preboarding Testing Requirements ?

18 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

I'm sailing on Odyssey 9/19.  Should I schedule a test for 9/16 or 9/17?  I plan to get the rapid test at CVS.

If you are doing rapid testing then 9/17 is safer.  

We have no idea if Royal will follow suit but now that Carnival has opened the door it stands to reason the rest of the industry will follow.  

Also consider the proctored at home test that Royal will accept.  I just bought a 6 pack as a backup plan.  

I hope if the time frame changes from 3 days before the sail date to 2…then testing will also be available at the port on embarkation day. Even if it stays at 3 days, I would hope there will be testing available for those who didn’t get their results in time…or just couldn’t find a test site. Then there’s the issue of who pays for it. Even a small fee, along with the delay boarding due to waiting for a result, would probably see most people getting it done if they can, and bringing their negative result to the port. I sure would like to know ahead of time that I’m negative.

10 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I hope if the time frame changes from 3 days before the sail date to 2…then testing will also be available at the port on embarkation day. Even if it stays at 3 days, I would hope there will be testing available for those who didn’t get their results in time…or just couldn’t find a test site. Then there’s the issue of who pays for it. Even a small fee, along with the delay boarding due to waiting for a result, would probably see most people getting it done if they can, and bringing their negative result to the port. I sure would like to know ahead of time that I’m negative.

Carnival's updated policy does state they'll try and have available at port testing. As they're putting it "Mobile Testing".

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

Also consider the proctored at home test that Royal will accept.  I just bought a 6 pack as a backup plan.  

I think this is becoming the way to go, for any form of travel that accepts them.  Cut out the middle man.  

I've got an upcoming sailing that departs on a Monday, so if I have to get tested on Sat or Sun as my only choices, its that much more difficult.  😠

15 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Do you think this would work while on a cruise to test for the second one that leaves a day after? I will have voom! 

Royal has indicated they will include testing for B2B and S2S (side to side) i.e. - changing ships.

I have some cruises on other lines and I haven't asked if they'll provide testing so I can board another line.  They did move a cruise for me without any fees since I wasn't going to be in a position to test coming off another line and boarding Royal.  

I've thought about trying to do a Binax over Voom but there is a lot of risk involved if it doesn't work or if heavy rain blocks the internet when I need it.  Murphy's law - Voom won't work when you need it most for a critical activity.  

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal has indicated they will include testing for B2B and S2S (side to side) i.e. - changing ships.

I've thought about trying to do a Binax over Voom but there is a lot of risk involved if it doesn't work or if heavy rain blocks the internet when I need it.  Murphy's law - Voom won't work when you need it most for a critical activity.  

My cruises, an S2S to me, don't qualify for a Royal test as the second one leaves a day after the first returns, so I have a night in Miami booked. I am thinking of bringing the Binax/Voom as my plan A and having an Antigen test either booked or taken at MIA on that day in between as plan B. 

... wait, Binax could still be my plan B once I have LTE in Miami! Wow. And the 6 pack is a great find. Thanks! 

25 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Does anyone know if they are offering PCR tests on board for those who need that test to fly home?  I realise we will have to pay.

They offer it to back to back and people doing a side to side (different ship, but consecutive cruises). 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/27/royal-caribbean-did-not-change-their-back-back-cruise-policy

4 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

I was a bit nervous because I was at a party last Tuesday, no masking.  Someone at the party has recovered from COVID a couple of weeks ago.

We've decided to go back down into lockdown mode for 2 weeks prior to our sailing, lol.  Not that we've actually been to a party in well over 3 years anyway, but we'll avoid going into restaurants.  I suppose we HAVE to go to work (dangit), but that's pretty low risk for me.  Have a fantastic time on your cruise!

20 hours ago, DJsMrs said:

Does anyone know if they are offering PCR tests on board for those who need that test to fly home?  I realise we will have to pay.

I contacted the suite concierge on Allure to ask this very question, and the answer is yes, Royal will offer PCR or antigen testing on board if you require it to get home.  The concierge also told me that at this time, it is complimentary.  I am not sure if that is for suite guests only or for all non-US cititzens.

It was discussed on this thread as well: 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

Looks like the demand for testing has gone down now.  Weeks ago, at this time of day, there would be very few appointments available.

image.png.8f5e5af79d5a0f09aaa0f6302ded1234.png

Our cases locally are way down, just like they were forecasted to do. Duval was such a hot spot. All of Florida is down over 50% in new cases. Virus is moving on from Florida even though we were made out to be some horrendous hot spot. Some other state/region will be hit next but we’ll still be the Covid whipping boy. 

Our cases got so high because we were experiencing “Florida Winter.” It was so hot, people stayed indoors, in close quarters. Cases went berserk. 

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

So unvaccinated can't use the at-home test for the pre-cruise test.

Is there anything on the resulting document you get that says it was an at home test? Meaning how would RC know if you took the test at home vs. at a provider location?

So where do you think you are getting this first part from "So unvaccinated can't use the at-home test for the pre-cruise test"

Seems to me the unVaxed can now do an Anitgen test for their pre-cruise prior to boarding day on site PCR test.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

So where do you think you are getting this first part from "So unvaccinated can't use the at-home test for the pre-cruise test"

Seems to me the unVaxed can now do an Anitgen test for their pre-cruise prior to boarding day on site PCR test.

Yes they can do an antigen test, but not via tele health. It has to be in person.

I'm just curious what on the test results says it was a telehealth proctoring since there's nothing special about the test itself that makes it "at home, " just the administration part of the test.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:03 PM, smokeybandit said:

Is there anything on the resulting document you get that says it was an at home test? Meaning how would RC know if you took the test at home vs. at a provider location?

There's only one approved at home test. So kids with a Navica branded test result would be the giveaway they used the at home test

4 hours ago, Matt said:

There's only one approved at home test. So kids with a Navica branded test result would be the giveaway they used the at home test

But that test isn't always used at home. Schools and workplaces with on-site testing also use them.

https://www.globalpointofcare.abbott/en/support/product-installation-training/navica-brand/navica-binaxnow-ag-training.html

It would suck to get tested away from home and have RC reject the test just because it's Navica.

Probably a slim chance that scenario pops up, but that's why I'm curious how they truly know the test was self-administered.

This may be entirely clear to those reading this thread but I'll reiterate it here. There is a difference between organizations or groups that use "home self tests" (e.g., BinaxNow) to screen for COVID positives and the cruise industry doing that who are seeking an as close to zero probability of having a COVID outbreak onboard ship as they can get.

Let's just stick with the cruise industries use of "home self tests." I'm only familiar with the Abbott product BinaxNow, there are others out there. BinaxNow comes in two versions: A self test that is not proctored or monitored by a person trained in administering it and evaluating the result and one that is. The self test without monitoring has two tests per box, the monitored version has one. 

The self test without monitoring has two tests to lower the probability that the test produces a false negative. You are instructed to do the 2nd test at least 36h after the first. There's a booklet in the kit containing instructions on how to do the test. If you're using the associated NAVICA Phone App, instructions on how to do the test and a process to record the result are on the App. After you do that there is a permanent record of each test you take. These tests are all "uncertified."  My view is that these tests are great for family or small group gatherings where attendees want to insure everyone is COVID free. Not perfect for doing that but a step up from nothing.

The monitored self test follows the same process as the unmonitored. The difference is that with the monitored test a trained test administrator, via a telehealth visit, walks you through the testing process and will read the result card, then certify the results in your NAVICA App. At the result tab in the App there will be a "Certified" designation as well as all the required information about the test. That designation is not in the unmonitored self test. Ok, now that we have that cleared up, here's RCL's position on "self tests:"

For fully vaccinated guests only, we accept self-administered COVID-19 tests taken under live video supervision (or per recent change, RCL will administer the test for you at the terminal).

Telehealth self-tests taken at home must meet these requirements:

• Per U.S. CDC guidance, only vaccinated guests may present self-administered telehealth COVID-19 test results at the terminal to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement.
  • The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.

If you're  fully vaccinated, you'll get an antigen test from RCL in the terminal prior to boarding depending on the cruise port you're sailing from. If the cruise port your sailing from does that, there is no need to obtain "self tests." If you aren't vaxed, you can't use any kind of "self test." The AG test has to be administered and resulted in a clinic and by a health care professional. The result is good for 48h. Plan accordingly.

The reason for these protocols is that it's easy to forge your test result using the unmoniotred self test, less so with the monitored one but most agencies aren't accepting either of these self tests as proof of being COVID free if you are unvaxed. The EU membership does not accept any self tests for vaxed or unvaxed passengers and the cruise ships operating from EU ports will follow that rule. In this case only clinic administered AG tests are accepted. For vaxed passengers that can use a clinic based AG test, this can get tricky planning when to get these. I'd recommend only the Rapid PCR (molecular) tests available in 24h or less with a 72h life if you are cruising from a a European port. See my post (link below) on traveling within or embarking or debarking from a European port.

Also note that in the case of cruises from Athens (Piraeus) and Barcelona, if you have proof of vaccination (the CDC Card will work for now) you do not need to get a pre-boarding antigen test. The line will test you at their cost (takes about 20-30m in my experience) at the terminal. This protocol may differ from the port's country protocols. Make sure you are in compliance with those when arriving by air and before boarding at the terminal.

NB: RCL has recently announced that in the case of a required antigen test to board, they will test you only if vaxed ..... for $99..... at (outside) the terminal. Results in "an hour." Getting an antigen test on your own is usually less expensive and if your insurance covers them for travel purposes, they are free. See the home page for more details with pros and cons from Matt.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/25542-traveling-to-and-within-europe-to-begin-or-disembark-from-a-cruise-in-the-covid-era/

Matt, please correct or validate any of this at your leisure.   

As a member of the cruising community, I am saddened by the lingering confusion on testing requirements for cruising.   I've been reading questions and comments on various Facebook groups and some people have the wrong ideas and information about this.  I hope they figure things out before their sailings.

42 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

As a member of the cruising community, I am saddened by the lingering confusion on testing requirements for cruising.   I've been reading questions and comments on various Facebook groups and some people have the wrong ideas and information about this.  I hope they figure things out before their sailings.

Most of the questions asked by people are easily answered on RC's testing page, too.

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Most of the questions asked by people are easily answered on RC's testing page, too.

Totally agreed. Prior to our sailing on Freedom recently, Royal were very pro-active in advising us of vaccination and testing requirements. We were left in no doubt at all, and there was no confusion whatsoever.

We were emailed, informed online and informed via the App

3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Yup. We even had more complicated information to get than most people, as our daughter turned 2 the day of sailing, so we had to figure out if she needed to be tested or not, though we were assuming she would. The agent we spoke to on the phone made sure to follow up and get us a definitive answer well in advance of our sailing date.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, this definitely applies. The problem that I have with FAQs is that the question asked (formulated by RCL) either is too narrow and doesn't cover all the intricacies that you might find in an appropriate algorithm or doesn't answer the question thoroughly ....... those two points account for most of the questions asked in this thread.

A perfect example of that is that it appeared that some posters were unaware that a monitored AG test via telemed will provide either an email or, if you're using the NAVICA app, an entry into your profile certifying the result matching your name. That's rather important to understand when one walks into a retail pharmacy to buy a "self test" or wonders which "self test" is going to be accepted by the cruise line to board. 

Another thing that might be unclear is how the country within which the port you are sailing from may have different entry protocols although I'll grant this is usually made pretty clear in emails from every one of the last 4 sailings I've made from both foreign and US ports with Celebrity.

4 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Here's some good news about that: The G7 met a week ago to discuss a full recovery of the global travel and leisure. The recognized that the mess that are variable entry requirements between countries and no uniform way to verify vaccination status to travel and pledged to work to obtain these core principals:

These seven core principles are:

— Future-proofing the transportation sector against future health threats

— Ensuring the fair treatment and safety of essential transport personnel

—Respecting privacy and data protection in implementing vaccination certification solutions

—Reaffirming the pre-eminence of scientific evidence in planning international travel policy

—Ensuring fairness and equity in respective national responses

—Maintaining regular international and multilateral engagement

—Delivering a safe, sustainable and resilient recovery

It's political theater at its best but that's what comes out of these meetings. The real work is behind the scenes with lower level officials representing the interests of their particular countries and hammering out details. I don't think there is any doubt that PH officials around the world believe, and the science supports that belief, that vaccination against SARS2 is the way to prevent it from being transmitted in conveyances and venues that typically are a part of the travel and leisure economies. The cruise lines certainly know that, other conveyances will undoubtedly follow suit despite the revenue deficits actions that require vaccination to board an airplane, train, ferry, etc. might produce.

What follows then is, like a passport, a mechanism to create a forgery proof vehicle to certify a travelers vaccination status.  There are plenty of these already out there. All that's needed is interoperability and in these times, that is not hard to achieve.