Recent Change to Preboarding Testing Requirements ?

25 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I need help and guidance!

Today (8/30), I YOLO-booked a sailing on Allure for this Sunday (9/5).   Now I'm having a hard time booking an appointment for a COVID test.  Any suggestions?

Has anyone done a proctored BinaxNOW self-test?   How does that work?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/20/i-tried-the-home-covid-19-test-royal-caribbean-accepts

Walgreens at midnight seemed to open up the next booking window. 

At midnight tonight (technically tomorrow) Thursday slots should open for you.

What I did last night at 11:30 PM was go through all the steps and got to the appointment pick part. Nothing for Wednesday, yet. I continued watching TV and shortly after midnight hit refresh and BAM Wednesday slots opened at a Walgreens offering rapid 20 minutes away... I had lots of choices with times too.

16 minutes ago, Jill said:

Not sure where in Jax you are, but I’ve had good luck with the Walgreens in Green Cove. More rural. 

I'm on the Westside.

I got an appointment at a CVS for Friday (2 days before sailing).  I'm also going to the Lane Wiley Senior Center a few blocks from me this Thursday (3 days before sailing)

I just called Royal and they told me testing is 3 days before sailing for vaccinated guests.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have the results on or before the day of sailing.

21 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

The antigen test results come out within 15-30 minutes of testing

I just took an antigen test in Jamaica for my return to the US and it only took ~2 minutes to get the result! Crazy. But that test would cost ya. 

I got a PCR test at the CVS for my arrival there and did get it within 2 days. I hope you get yours in time! 

I created an account (first post!!) to recommend Walgreens, which I see a few folks have suggested as well.  We started using them earlier this year on a trip to Hawaii as they are an approved Hawaii State Safe Travels provider.  Since then we've used them for pre and post trip testing to Japan as well.  All that said, both (1) which local Walgreens have the rapid PCR testing varies along with the (2) available times here by me.  We usually receive our results for the rapid PCR in just under an hour, and at least our local Walgreens (we've used 2 locations) don't really care what time you come in so long as it is the same day.  

We're leaving on Ovation of the Seas on Sept 17th! 

2 hours ago, RandK said:

I created an account (first post!!) to recommend Walgreens, which I see a few folks have suggested as well.  We started using them earlier this year on a trip to Hawaii as they are an approved Hawaii State Safe Travels provider.  Since then we've used them for pre and post trip testing to Japan as well.  All that said, both (1) which local Walgreens have the rapid PCR testing varies along with the (2) available times here by me.  We usually receive our results for the rapid PCR in just under an hour, and at least our local Walgreens (we've used 2 locations) don't really care what time you come in so long as it is the same day.  

Welcome to the Blog, @RandK

3 hours ago, RandK said:

Hello RandK, welcome aboard!

Question for you, what kind of certification/written proof do they give you showing you are covid negative? ?

Just to be on the safe side I've scheduled two Antigen tests at CVS for Friday and Saturday in case something happens and they change the rules.  I sail Monday.  If protocol testing requirements don't change, I'll cancel my Saturday test.  I'm also thinking if Royal does change it to two days out, they would give some sort of window (like two weeks) before implementing the change, or I would hope!

27 minutes ago, Big Dawg Ron said:

I'm also thinking if Royal does change it to two days out, they would give some sort of window (like two weeks) before implementing the change, or I would hope!

This is what I asked the Royal agent over the phone.  Will there be a grace period if the time frame for testing before sailing is shortened?  Of course she told me what I wanted to hear.  But I know she's not the one to make those decisions at the port.  A work-from-home* agent wouldn't have that much power 

*there were kids playing in the background.

Just another experience with CVS PCR test.

My wife and I booked our tests online a couple of weeks in advance as soon as the scheduling opened up. Sort of a dry run for our cruise in OCT as we have another trip this week that requires a NEG test result as well.

We did the test at the CVS drive-thru just before noon yesterday (SUN, 8/29) morning and just got our results e-mailed to us this evening (MON, 8/30) around 7:00 PM... so, just under 2 days. Results came via e-mail from both CVS and from Quest Diagnostics (they actually ran the test for CVS).

Hopefully, we'll get the same quick turnaround for the cruise! Will definitely be monitoring the policy and timeframes in SEPT. Good luck everyone!

3 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Thanks to my "Cruise Godfather" for the tip, I got a rapid test appointment from Walgreens.  It goes along the lines of "the early bird catches the worm."

Woohoo! I got my appointment when they opened up the schedule at Walgreens this morning too. I am going to grab a backup for Friday too just in case, but that date doesn't open until tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Woohoo! I got my appointment when they opened up the schedule at Walgreens this morning too. I am going to grab a backup for Friday too just in case, but that date doesn't open until tomorrow.

Wouldn't the insurance company take us to the "naughty room" for this?

So Far so good no change in RCL policy!

triangle-warning-royal.svg

Be ready to board
Review our health and safety protocols.
vaccination.png
Vaccination
All guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated prior to sailing and must provide documentation of full vaccination (for example, a COVID-19 vaccination record card) prior to boarding. Guests must have received the final vaccine dose at least 14 days before sailing.
testing.png
Pre-cruise testing
All guests 2 and older must bring the negative result of a COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of sailing.
testing.png
Sail Day Testing
Kids ages 2 to 11 are required to take a complimentary PCR test for COVID-19 when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be emailed in advance.
checklist.png
Denial of boarding
Failure to meet or comply with any of our health and safety protocols may result in denial of boarding.

Something to be aware of that happened to me today 

I had a pcr test at CVS yesterday and an appointment for an antigen test at the same store tomorrow. 

My appointment for tomorrow was canceled.  When I called and asked why, I was told that until my first test result come back negative, I can’t have another appointment in case I’m positive. 

The person I spoke to understood I was testing for traveling and had no problems with that.  I could wait until my pcr comes back negative and then reschedule but there isn’t enough time. 

Interestingly enough, my wife’s appointment tomorrow wasn’t canceled and she had her pcr test done immediately before mine yesterday.  

I was able to get an appointment at Walgreens for Thursday, and my wife scheduled one too just to be safe  

31 minutes ago, teddy said:

Something to be aware of that happened to me today 

I had a pcr test at CVS yesterday and an appointment for an antigen test at the same store tomorrow. 

My appointment for tomorrow was canceled.  When I called and asked why, I was told that until my first test result come back negative, I can’t have another appointment in case I’m positive. 

So the lesson here is schedule the first one at CVS and the 2nd at Walgreens, I guess.

19 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

So the lesson here is schedule the first one at CVS and the 2nd at Walgreens, I guess.

That's what I did.  I have 3 appointments - one at CVS, one at Walgreens, and one at a Health Department Center at a county next to mine.  Then I'm doing a "walk-in" at a testing center a few blocks from my house.

20 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I haven't started looking yet since my cruise is still 3 weeks out but this is rapidly starting to sound like a lot of work and stress.

It is a lot of work and stress!  It's not something I enjoy doing a few days before a cruise.  

Pre-COVID, my only concern before a cruise was making sure I had enough clothes to wear for the entire sailing... 

40 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

That's what I did.  I have 3 appointments - one at CVS, one at Walgreens, and one at a Health Department Center at a county next to mine.  Then I'm doing a "walk-in" at a testing center a few blocks from my house.

Wow - backup for the backup and another backup...?

Scrambling to line testing up has definitely been the biggest headache. The issue for the planners is a lot of places around here don't schedule the rapid tests in advance, so you don't know until the current day schedule opens if you can get an appointment.

Even if they do, you hear the stories that they're canceling because they are running out of rapid tests and there's delays in processing the more readily available PCR, so you need a plan A through Q with plan Z being paying out the nose for a walk-in clinic.

This sure is causing allot of angst for folks. We're not cruising until Oct 17, but already started checking out options. My Rite Aid says their PCR test takes 2-7 days, no antigen. Checked Walgreens site no, antigen tests in NH, would have to drive to either MA or ME, strange?  Again their PCR stated 2-5 days. CVS, has antigen tests available in my area, I do not want to be worried waiting for the PCR so antigen 3 days before seems safest. My son gets tested for his work, his PCR usually comes back between 2-3 days, but again don't want to sit around worrying, so he'll get the antigen with us. Starting to really consider stocking up on the at home kits, have three cruises through Jan. However still need to wait to see if they change protocols. Lets hope this delta starts to flatten out.

3 hours ago, KevinJ said:

This sure is causing allot of angst for folks. We're not cruising until Oct 17, but already started checking out options. My Rite Aid says their PCR test takes 2-7 days, no antigen. Checked Walgreens site no, antigen tests in NH, would have to drive to either MA or ME, strange?  Again their PCR stated 2-5 days. CVS, has antigen tests available in my area, I do not want to be worried waiting for the PCR so antigen 3 days before seems safest. My son gets tested for his work, his PCR usually comes back between 2-3 days, but again don't want to sit around worrying, so he'll get the antigen with us. Starting to really consider stocking up on the at home kits, have three cruises through Jan. However still need to wait to see if they change protocols. Lets hope this delta starts to flatten out.

Walgreens in NH has rapid antigen in Milford and Nashua. I think there’s also a couple on seacoast.  They’re scheduling only 2 days in advance (Schedule Tuesday for a Thursday).

People say things are changing rapidly but they really aren't. They just seem to be muddling up the information in an effort to make it more clear. Look what happened to the B2B info, the protocols were actually the same but in an effort to try to provide clear instructions, they provided wrong ones. I sail on Oct, I am 95% sure the same protocols for Sept will apply. I have told my travel party we need negative covid test and already have a plan A, B, and C. I don't expect much to actually change....at least in the direction of what cruising was before.

6 hours ago, Jkaczano said:

Walgreens in NH has rapid antigen in Milford and Nashua. I think there’s also a couple on seacoast.  They’re scheduling only 2 days in advance (Schedule Tuesday for a Thursday).

What I see is that the testing in Milford and Nashua is called Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). I'm not sure that is an accepted test?

4 hours ago, KevinJ said:

What I see is that the testing in Milford and Nashua is called Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). I'm not sure that is an accepted test?

The ID NOW test is accepted per: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Direct quote: Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).

4 hours ago, KevinJ said:

There’s also rapid tests available at all 4 Southern immediate cares, Convenient MDs, and Clear choice MDs (CMC hospital affiliate).  All else fails there’s cash only testing in the Mall of NH parking lot (now $70 for rapid antigen) with late hours.  We’re on the Oasis 9/26 so I’ll let you know our experience.

I will say that we are very lucky to have so many options here in NH

Time to start stressing more. Carnival has posted their new policy.

From: https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

Effective with sailings as of September 13, 2021, the CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in.