Recent Change to Preboarding Testing Requirements ?

Not sure when (or even if) this change was made, but I just read on CC that fully vaccinated guests are now required to test 2 days prior to boarding as opposed to 3 days.  It looks like vaxxed now have a choice between 2 day prior pre-test or being tested at the pier.  Can anyone find a link to verify this ?  It also contains requirements for unvaccinated (presumably children under the age of 12) for B2B sailings...which I guess is good news for those who are hoping to take children on B2B.

image.png.6edf9af872ab5aa25b5f49a952be8b21.png

14 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So if you're vaccinated, your window is 2 days, but if not vaccinated, it's 3 days?  

Um that math doesn't quite add up to me

Yeah...that's what I think, too.  ....but I guess the good news is that it seems as though there is now an option to test pre-arrival OR at arrival where there was only the option to test pre-arrival before.

I think it would be good to have a contractor at the pier performing viral testing for those who arrive without a test result…even for a reasonable fee. That would help those who don’t get their private test results back in time, and just show up thinking they can board anyway.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yeah...that's what I think, too.  ....but I guess the good news is that it seems as though there is now an option to test pre-arrival OR at arrival where there was only the option to test pre-arrival before.

That would cause a bit of consternation if the unvaccinated can walk right on while the vaccinated have to wait for test results

It looks like vaccinated have a choice to use the home proctored test but unvaxxed do not.  Since unvaxxed can only mean children under 12 (since no other unvaxxed are allowed) then kids will not be able to use the home test...which totally sucks.

At least, that is the way I am reading it.

Actually, looks like the CDC wants all unvaxxed tested at check-in too (which of course those under 12 already get tested on RC)

CDC is just off their rocker at this point. With so few positives found pre-cruise or on board combined with the fact we're deep into delta right now, not at the start (and onboard issues haven't changed), trying to make testing more strict is just trying to pile on.

Per Matt's write up, the CDC has some new recommendations on Masks.

CDC wants cruise lines to reconsider mask policies on cruise ships | Royal Caribbean Blog

I sincerely hope that RCI ignores these recommendations.  I am not willing to wear a mask at all times while on the ship (which is what it sounds like the CDC wants) - this would cause me to reconsider future cruises.

57 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Do we have confirmation from RCCL that passengers can get tested at the pier?  And is this on their dime or our own?

No, testing is NOT available for vaccinated at the pier.

They're only offering tests at pier for unvaccinated because they have to pay out of pocket extra for it.

1 hour ago, wordell1 said:

Per Matt's write up, the CDC has some new recommendations on Masks.

CDC wants cruise lines to reconsider mask policies on cruise ships | Royal Caribbean Blog

I sincerely hope that RCI ignores these recommendations.  I am not willing to wear a mask at all times while on the ship (which is what it sounds like the CDC wants) - this would cause me to reconsider future cruises.

Yet another CDC attempt to discourage cruising. Hope the cruise lines give them the middle finger ? on this one. 

There has not been a problematic “outbreak” on any ship to resort to this new “recommendation.” CDC trying sooooooo hard to remain relevant. 

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

I think it would be good to have a contractor at the pier performing viral testing for those who arrive without a test result…even for a reasonable fee. That would help those who don’t get their private test results back in time, and just show up thinking they can board anyway.

All this added time compression stress could increase the number of drink packages.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, it's not an option, it's a CDC recommendation to either request vaccinated have a test in the 2-day window prior to sailing or they can get one on embarkation.  

Basically they still want the unvaccinated tested at the pier and they want them to be tested prior to coming to the pier, but they're giving them 3 days since they're going to be tested again.  I guess they feel they're giving the cruise lines a win to not have to test as many people at boarding this way. 

It's on the cruise lines to give the OPTION for the vaccinated to just get tested at the pier if they are going to abide by these new screening requirements.  We will see how Royal decides to do handle this for the September and October cruises. Previously they have been taking the stance to go by the CDC recommendations as they've made it clear they're honoring the CSO guidelines to sail, even though the CDC added the language that the CSO is non-binding in Florida.  

I think the CDC exists in a vacuum where they don't realize that this type of screening testing isn't as widely available all over the country as they might think, especially with the surge in cases.  PCR is a type of NAAT, but you don't find many places that offer quick results on that one, but that's the most widely available type of test, at least from my experience.  But again, the lack of testing really isn't their problem.

This change means even the 100% vaccinated cruise lines will require testing before sailing, although I think most of them already did. The ones like that I know of actually provide the tests at boarding at their cost already.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is exactly what I said. It IS an option for the vaxxed.  Test 2 days prior OR at the pier.

It isn't an option until Royal makes it an option though, and they haven't yet is what I meant ?  

We shall see what transpires over the next week If announce any changes immediately, that's going to throw a lot of folks going on cruises next weekend for a loop with not a lot of time to scramble to get tests rescheduled for a day later, especially since I know a lot of people were relying on the 3 days giving them enough time to get their PCR results back as they don't have the access to rapid tests in their area.

39 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

No, it's not an option, it's a CDC recommendation to either request vaccinated have a test in the 2-day window prior to sailing or they can get one on embarkation.  

Basically they still want the unvaccinated tested at the pier and they want them to be tested prior to coming to the pier, but they're giving them 3 days since they're going to be tested again.  I guess they feel they're giving the cruise lines a win to not have to test as many people at boarding this way. 

It's on the cruise lines to give the OPTION for the vaccinated to just get tested at the pier if they are going to abide by these new screening requirements.  We will see how Royal decides to do handle this for the September and October cruises. Previously they have been taking the stance to go by the CDC recommendations as they've made it clear they're honoring the CSO guidelines to sail, even though the CDC added the language that the CSO is non-binding in Florida.  

I think the CDC exists in a vacuum where they don't realize that this type of screening testing isn't as widely available all over the country as they might think, especially with the surge in cases.  PCR is a type of NAAT, but you don't find many places that offer quick results on that one, but that's the most widely available type of test, at least from my experience.  But again, the lack of testing really isn't their problem.

This change means even the 100% vaccinated cruise lines will require testing before sailing, although I think most of them already did. The ones like that I know of actually provide the tests at boarding at their cost already.

This is exactly why the CDC has done this. Testing 2 days out will make it 75% harder to cruise. That’s their goal. Pretty soon all women will have to be a 32A to sail ?

Have we gotten clarification of this matter?   Does the process vary from port to port, ship to ship?   Who can give us the answers we need?  

Though understandable given the present situation, it is so exasperating that Royal hasn't gotten its act together.  The information from their emails, on the Royal app, and the website are not in sync.  We book cruises to relax, not to be stressed out.

It’ll be interesting to see what Royal does. Richard Fain said earlier this week that Delta has impacted bookings. You add a more strict indoor mask mandate and take away a Covid test day and I’d imagine there will be more cancellations. There was just a round of cancellations due to St Thomas/Bahamas vaccine requirement. 

Fares right now for September and October are absolute rock bottom.  

Some ships are practically ghost towns. I think Odyssey just sailed with only 900 passengers. 

I think the last thing the cruise lines want to do is to start implementing new ‘recommendations’ which will certainly cause more bookings to be cancelled. Many people are stressing out as they weigh the risks and benefits of getting back to cruising. I think there are many who would look at these confusing and conflicting changes as ‘the last straw’ and just bail out. Wait until things settle down sometime in the future. The Delta variant has been here for some time. Surely there must be statistical evidence either way regarding the level of infections on cruise ships to warrant making any change in policies.

On another note…I saw a video posted by a cruiser arriving at a port which showed a mobile Covid testing vehicle. It was like a small ice cream truck where the quick test is given to walk ups who then get their results quickly. Probably expensive…but perfect as a last resort.

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

So this is just CDC recommendations and we are all getting wound up for nothing.

Recommendation for Florida sailings. However, it would be a requirement for US sailings outside of Florida. Plus the cruise lines out of Florida have been choosing to follow CSO measures on a voluntary basis.

From the CSO: Added language reflecting that, as of July 23, 2021, the CSO and accompanying measures, such as technical instructions, are nonbinding recommendations for cruise ships arriving in, located within, or departing from a port in Florida. However, CDC will continue to operate the CSO as a voluntary program for such ships should they choose to follow the CSO measures on a voluntary basis. --- This section applies to cruise ships operating under the CSO, including those choosing to follow CSO measures on a voluntary basis.

Why are the cruise lines out if Florida choosing to follow the CSO measures? I'm sure this letter had nothing to do with it: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flmd.388773/gov.uscourts.flmd.388773.108.1.pdf

I purchased the Abbott BinaxNow 6 pack (sounds delicious, but...no) even though where I am in NJ there are plenty of available places for me to go and get a free rapid test. I keep checking availability and it seems there’s always something nearby. But…I’m not taking the chance that when the time comes for me to get that ‘three day before’ test, there happens to be something which causes a delay, or suddenly there’s limited availability resulting in me scrambling. I have quite a few cruises coming up during which time I’m pretty confident that pre-testing will still be a thing. Just like insurance, it seems to be a good investment. Hopefully I don’t need it.