Double C&A Points ...

I have a friend who is trying to get himself to Diamond and with the current reduced single supplement sale i had mentioned to him that it was double, double points on sailing solo.

He checked with Royal and was told its triple for a solo sail currently not quadruple.

Pretty sure i had read the opposite here (Twangster statement from memory but could be very wrong on that).

Does anyone have any experience yet with a solo sail under the double points promo that can provide an "actual results" statement rather than "royal says ..."

Thanks

For my future solo sailings I get 6 points each night. 1 for sailing, 1 more for being solo, and 1 more for being in a suite. Double that is 6 points per night. When this first came out, I emailed Royal just to make sure. Also, previous cruisers have already posted on the forums.

So for him sailing solo in a non-suite…1 for the sailing, 1 extra for being solo. Double that is 4 points per night.

2 hours ago, BrianB said:

For my future solo sailings I get 6 points each night. 1 for sailing, 1 more for being solo, and 1 more for being in a suite. Double that is 6 points per night. When this first came out, I emailed Royal just to make sure. Also, previous cruisers have already posted on the forums.

So for him sailing solo in a non-suite…1 for the sailing, 1 extra for being solo. Double that is 4 points per night.

Thank you, that was my understanding too but he got it direct from a Royal rep (we all know what that's worth) so i thought i would check with the experts ?

This thread made me realize I totally misread the FAQ about this, and I'm going to end up with fewer points than I thought this year. That either means waiting for Diamond status or booking another cruise this year.

I think most RCLB readers know which way I'm leaning after I looked at the prices to turn both of my cruises this year into B2Bs...

7 hours ago, Chadster said:

This thread made me realize I totally misread the FAQ about this, and I'm going to end up with fewer points than I thought this year. That either means waiting for Diamond status or booking another cruise this year.

I think most RCLB readers know which way I'm leaning after I looked at the prices to turn both of my cruises this year into B2Bs...

I vote to book another cruise this year….ya gotta do what ya gotta do!?

20 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I have a friend who is trying to get himself to Diamond and with the current reduced single supplement sale i had mentioned to him that it was double, double points on sailing solo.

He checked with Royal and was told its triple for a solo sail currently not quadruple.

Pretty sure i had read the opposite here (Twangster statement from memory but could be very wrong on that).

Does anyone have any experience yet with a solo sail under the double points promo that can provide an "actual results" statement rather than "royal says ..."

Thanks

This is from the RC FAQ

Screenshot 2021-08-29 103707.png

20 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

You know what they say…If you don’t believe or like the answer from Royal’s Rep…Just call back to another rep because it’ll be a different response. 

56 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

You know what they say…If you don’t believe or like the answer from Royal’s Rep…Just call back to another rep because it’ll be a different response. 

Used that technique many times ... Royal customer service ... keep asking until someone gives you what you want ?

It's supposed to be pretty simple.  Double means double what you would have received without the double promo.  

If you would have expected one point per night now you get two.  Normally two becomes four.  Normally three becomes six.  

It is literally double points.  

I've yet to hear anyone complain they haven't received what the double promo states.

56 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's supposed to be pretty simple.  Double means double what you would have received without the double promo.  

If you would have expected one point per night now you get two.  Normally two becomes four.  Normally three becomes six.  

It is literally double points.  

I've yet to hear anyone complain they haven't received what the double promo states.

Have you had personal experience with this double promo since they launched it?  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I'm not expecting any issues.  It's not even something I'm thinking about.  In the past as a solo cruiser my points often posted incorrectly but C&A always fixed them with a simple phone call.  I expect that to continue.  

I thought you had already sailed on a revenue cruise since the restart.  I think I'm confusing your cruise activities with @Matt's

21 minutes ago, HtownHolly said:

We just got double points on our 8/15 cruise on Indy. Just in a balcony and not single occupancy, but for a 7 night cruise we got 14 points each.

I'm glad you got your double points.  My worry is how they'll deal with solo cruisers in regular rooms.  I'm hoping it will truly be a double-double deal.

I didn't get what I expected, three e-mails later and no response, i guess I will have to call. We went on AOS August 7th, booked a JS, did Royalup to a GS and got only 14 points. I was expecting 4x points since we did a suite, I believe JS qualified so the RU to GS shouldn't have mattered. I was expecting 28 points, since suites get double and it's double that through 2022. We have suites in January and July so I was expecting to make diamond after three suites during the promotion. What did I miss?

@SpeedNoodles if @Temeculaguy did an Anthem sailing in August I'm pretty sure that makes them British (or UK resident), due to Anthem being restricted sailings in UK.  We don't have a dedicated CAS number - we have to ring the customer service number 0344 493 4005 and then select the CAS option.

I'm a Newbie, so take it easy on me Smokey.  This may be best for BrianB; but everyone chime in.

Met a guy in the Diamond Lounge once (yes one of those stories) who said he only booked adjoining balconies for he and his wife.  They sail solo and have the 150% supplement (not sure if D+ or Pinnacle).  Said he liked the extra space - two baths, two balconies, etc. and that he got more points for doing it this way.  

Thoughts, pros, cons ?

On 9/2/2021 at 3:06 AM, Temeculaguy said:

I didn't get what I expected, three e-mails later and no response, i guess I will have to call. We went on AOS August 7th, booked a JS, did Royalup to a GS and got only 14 points. I was expecting 4x points since we did a suite, I believe JS qualified so the RU to GS shouldn't have mattered. I was expecting 28 points, since suites get double and it's double that through 2022. We have suites in January and July so I was expecting to make diamond after three suites during the promotion. What did I miss?

I was in a Junior Suite for AOS and we Royal Upped too.  I was given the 28 points.  Definitely contact C&A to inquire.

10 minutes ago, JustMeJoe said:

I'm a Newbie, so take it easy on me Smokey.  This may be best for BrianB; but everyone chime in.

Met a guy in the Diamond Lounge once (yes one of those stories) who said he only booked adjoining balconies for he and his wife.  They sail solo and have the 150% supplement (not sure if D+ or Pinnacle).  Said he liked the extra space - two baths, two balconies, etc. and that he got more points for doing it this way.  

Thoughts, pros, cons ?

If their goal is to get to a higher status quicker than good for them!  If they need to do this to stay married-good for them!
I looked at the double points and I'll be honest....seems like a good deal to book some of these cruises solo, I know I did for a cruise with my daughter (she is over 18) and a cruise with friends.  I will hopefully be getting the 4 points per night.  Had I taken a cruise any other time WITH people I would have to pay for 4 separate cruises to achieve that.  So it's a "bargain" if you have goals to attain.

45 minutes ago, JustMeJoe said:

Thoughts, pros, cons ?

If you're looking to climb the C&A ladder it works. Remember only one of a couple has to hit the point for both to go to the next level. Once you hit 340 points is when you go to 150% solo supplement. Sometimes it works out best to get a jr suite at the 150% solo supplement, book an cheap inside for the spouse and you walk away with 3 points a night. Isn't the same as having separate rooms, but sometimes can ultimately be cheaper this way to rack up points if you look at it as a cost per point value.

1 hour ago, JustMeJoe said:

Thoughts, pros, cons ?

I know a couple who will sometimes put the husband as a 3rd in a friends cabin and book the wife in a suite.  Once on board they get an extra key from guest services.  

In their case they designated the wife as the ladder climber.  It doesn't matter who you pick, but if one or the other has more points already, might as well designate them as the ladder climber.  

When they don't know a friend on board they get whatever is cheapest for him.  Interior, OV, balcony, what ever, it doesn't matter. 

The wife gets the extra points, they both climb higher, faster.   

13 hours ago, JustMeJoe said:

Thoughts, pros, cons ?

Interesting strategy with a couple of good results. Especially the ‘help the marriage’ angle! I have relatives who decided they must have separate bedrooms because of his snoring, so this would be great for them. Just close the connecting door. Sort of turns two balcony cabins into an affordable, small boutique-style 2 bedroom suite…with 2 full bathrooms. Plus the extra points.

I just realized that as of Monday, I have reached Diamond Level!  I had 73 points when I got onboard the Allure last Sunday.  If my reckoning of the Double Points promo is correct, together with the double points I’d gotten as a solo cruiser, I am now (unofficially) Diamond. Yay!

7 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I just realized that as of Monday, I have reached Diamond Level!  I had 73 points when I got onboard the Allure last Sunday.  If my reckoning of the Double Points promo is correct, together with the double points I’d gotten as a solo cruiser, I am now (unofficially) Diamond. Yay!

Congratulations!  

That's a huge accomplishment.  Cheers!

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I have not seen it advertised or mentioned anywhere but it just appears that if you quote single rates you get "half price" cabins on a lot of sailings.

Yes, and I was following to book, waited, and now it’s gone.  So if anyone finds that single, at a great price, perhaps you shouldn’t wait to book.