eMed/ BinaxNOW Tests

DanielB

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Because eMed is stating the expiration date of the test they are selling has been extended 12 months.  

They have not been.  The expiration dates for current tests being sold by eMed currently have been extended by 3 months according to Abbott.

The tests being sold now by eMed originally had an 8 month expiration from date of manufacturer.  For these tests, the FDA has authorized a 3 month extension taking the expiration to 11 months from the date of manufacture.

Abbott had received an FDA authorization to extend the expiration of select test kits that originally had a 6 month expiration date.  The FDA approved these "select" tests with a 6 month expiration to be extended to 12 months.  This 6 month extension is being improperly offered by eMed as a 12 month extension but it does not apply to all Abbott Binax tests.  It only applied to the ones that originally had a 6 month expiration date and eMed is not selling those right now.

eMed is to blame for the misleading marketing and incorrectly stating there is a 12 month extension.  For tests being currently sold by eMed there is a 3 month extension.

It's not clear what Optum is doing or what expiration dates their tests are shipping with currently.

Another nightmare scenario…doing what appears to be everything right. Getting the test kit, going through the testing procedure with a proctor, getting the result, having it on my phone and printing it out so it’s in my hand. 
Then being turned away at the port because the test had expired the previous month. 
I know it’s unlikely. The test should show expired when the QR code is scanned during testing…or there is no expiration date on the results email. But, still…..another bit of expectation anxiety to add to the pile.

Seems like no one was buying these tests before the summer so they stopped making them and shuttered the facilities where they were made.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-rapid-test-manufacturer-trashed-millions-of-products-report-2021-8

There will be no new ones made.  The ones being shipped now are the most current we will ever get.  

Based on the URLs to the revised expiration dates we are getting close to the end of the products that were made.  I wonder how many more are in the warehouse?

Once they are gone, they are gone.  They aren't making these anymore.  

Royal may find themselves promoting a solution that evaporates before our eyes right when we need it most.  

Glad I bought mine when I did.

4 hours ago, mathbees said:

I'm assuming everyone is using https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en to verify the new expiration date based on their lot number?

Initially I didn't see the lot number because you have to slide the "Do Not Open" over to find the sticker (I was looking for it to be stamped into the box). Fortunately, mine expire in January and we're cruise in October. I guess I'll have buy more for our March cruise, if the protocols are still in place.

Thanks for the link! At least now I know my six pack won’t expire next month!

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Based on the URLs to the revised expiration dates we are getting close to the end of the products that were made.  I wonder how many more are in the warehouse?

Royal may find themselves promoting a solution that evaporates before our eyes right when we need it most.  

I am not seeing anywhere where they will not be making more.  I had read on another forum from a user stating her family members were being recalled to a factory in Maine to ramp up production of the tests.

5 hours ago, mathbees said:

I'm assuming everyone is using https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en to verify the new expiration date based on their lot number?

Initially I didn't see the lot number because you have to slide the "Do Not Open" over to find the sticker (I was looking for it to be stamped into the box). Fortunately, mine expire in January and we're cruise in October. I guess I'll have buy more for our March cruise, if the protocols are still in place.

This document lists extended expiration dates for test with reference number 195-200, but everyone I know that have received their tests have reference number 195-100

6 hours ago, twangster said:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/diagnostics/COVID-19-antigen-assay-set/98/i34

Looks like they are preparing to produce 50 million tests per month

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/diagnostics/COVID-19-antigen-assay-set/98/i34

Looks like they are preparing to produce 50 million tests per month

It's always interesting to look back and see what they said versus what actually occurred.  That's from 2020.  🙂

It's almost like their timing is unfortunate.  If they do reopen the factory by the time they are spitting out tests delta could be over.  

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's always interesting to look back and see what they said versus what actually occurred.  That's from 2020.  🙂

It's almost like their timing is unfortunate.  If they do reopen the factory by the time they are spitting out tests delta could be over.  

holy crap!! How did I miss that date??  This is embarrassing

On 8/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, DanielB said:

Didn't know that either, I am surprised that Ohio is giving these expensive tests away at all.  The QR code for testing takes you to an eMed website for Ohio residents.  I even inputted that I was using the test for travel.

Here is the Ohio website if anyone is looking for these.  Not sure all the rapid tests are the proctored type needed so please do your homework first.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/other-resources/testing-ch-centers

Fellow Ohioan here and INCREDIBLY grateful!!!!! 

Edit: Evidently no rapid home tests available near me - but going to keep an eye on this link. Thank you! 

Edit 2: Found one - calling the library shortly to pick up a couple! 

Edit 3: I have two Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 Home Tests in my posession! IDC what @Matt says, @DanielB is the board winner today! 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, TXcruzer said:

This document lists extended expiration dates for test with reference number 195-200, but everyone I know that have received their tests have reference number 195-100

Can anyone confirm if the document is for 195-100s as well as 195-200s? Are they different? Or is the 195-100 the card inside? Can anyone confirm since I cannot open my tests yet?

38 minutes ago, bryresangel said:

Can anyone confirm if the document is for 195-100s as well as 195-200s? Are they different? Or is the 195-100 the card inside? Can anyone confirm since I cannot open my tests yet?

I sent them (E Med) a message from their support page, and this was the response I received:

I Asked specifically about 195-100 VS 195-200 and as you can see they did not address that question at all.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 1.32.10 PM.png

36 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I sent them (E Med) a message from their support page, and this was the response I received:

I Asked specifically about 195-100 VS 195-200 and as you can see they did not address that question at all.

Well that is not very helpful. I "think" that the 195-100 may be the card itself, and the kit with everything is 200, but I am not sure. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, DanielB said:

Didn't know that either, I am surprised that Ohio is giving these expensive tests away at all.  The QR code for testing takes you to an eMed website for Ohio residents.  I even inputted that I was using the test for travel.

Here is the Ohio website if anyone is looking for these.  Not sure all the rapid tests are the proctored type needed so please do your homework first.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/other-resources/testing-ch-centers

Thanks or the info from another Buckeye (Westerville). Our public library has test kits also. I may go that route for our December cruise. For our Ovation cruise two weeks ago, we had a Covid test scheduled at CVS. They canceled our appointment the night before so we had to scramble to find another place.

I just ordered a 3-pack of the Binax now tests by following Royal Caribbean's link (they're sold by Optum), and the process was quick and easy. I live near a CVS, so a free rapid test would've been an option, but the days I'm supposed to take it, I'm going to be either on my way out of town heading for Cape Liberty, or be at a hotel pre-cruise. So I went ahead and grabbed the 3-pack, figuring I have backups in case of errors...or ones to cover my other cruises, too.

So glad libraries in Ohio are making this an option, though. I talked to my best friend in Cleveland, and she said that Cleveland Public Library has them, but only at the main branch, not the community branches.

On 9/7/2021 at 1:57 PM, bryresangel said:

Same question with have. I can find information on one 95–000 land 195-200 lots but zip on the 100 lot. Still searching!

1 hour ago, Bladeguy1308 said:

I have a question about the success rate of the tests. How many tests come up as inconclusive? If i buy a 3 pack for my wife and I, what are the odds that 2 of the tests come up inconclusive? Should i just buy 2 2 packs or save a couple of dollars and buy the 3 pack. 

I'd offer you may be overthinking this although I get your point. Look at it this way: The risk of an inclusive result is low but the implications of getting that result given the new windows is high.

Do an evaluation of your own risk tolerance, If it is low, go get a PCR test 72h before you sail. I don't know what availability is in the area you live in so that could be a show stopper. Alternatively, schedule an antigen test 24h before you sail and run your home test at the 48h mark. If you get an inconclusive, take the antigen test you scheduled, If you get a solid negative on the home test, cancel the scheduled test. 

Backing up the testing requirement to board with alternatives tends to reduce the risk of the thing you're worried about - not being able to board - a lot.  

2 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Backing up the testing requirement to board with alternatives tends to reduce the risk of the thing you're worried about - not being able to board - a lot.  

This more or less summarizes my same philosophy about obsessive planning ahead of vacations. 

Plan it and have a backup so you're not disappointed when something goes wrong. 

27 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I'd offer you may be overthinking this although I get your point. Look at it this way: The risk of an inclusive result is low but the implications of getting that result given the new windows is high.

Do an evaluation of your own risk tolerance, If it is low, go get a PCR test 72h before you sail. I don't know what availability is in the area you live in so that could be a show stopper. Alternatively, schedule an antigen test 24h before you sail and run your home test at the 48h mark. If you get an inconclusive, take the antigen test you scheduled, If you get a solid negative on the home test, cancel the scheduled test. 

26 minutes ago, KLA said:

This more or less summarizes my same philosophy about obsessive planning ahead of vacations. 

Plan it and have a backup so you're not disappointed when something goes wrong. 

I gotcha. Maybe i will schedule a pcr for friday. There isnt any availability for antigen at drugstores near me and the urgent cares are rather pricey. 

Speaking of planning ........We leave for Lisbon Portugal on the 28th then travel to Switzerland then via Zurich to Barcelona to Board Apex on October 10th. That's a 14d translant back to PEV. 

We travel to/through/from 4 countries including the US all of them with dissimilar entry requirements. Moreover, I've built in a self quarantine to our trip that will allow me to self test (BinaxNow) 72-96h post travel and after our arrival in Switzerland. I'm carrying 6 tests (box of 2 each X3). We'll be staying in a hotel close to my daughter's residence in Laussane. The purpose is to make sure I've not contracted a break-through SARS2D infection while traveling from the US and 3d in Lisbon. That is to protect my daughter's unvaxed children under 12. If we test negative, we'll stay with my daughter.

Most EU countries won't allow entry to US passport holders that don't have proof of vaccination. Most don't require an antigen test to enter (Apex does to board but they do it for you in the terminal). Some require digitally accessed forms that have to be filed before entry. I've found these easy to locate and complete. All of this is subject to change. I'll go with the flow and feel good about the game plan.

I relate this here to help others think like this. If you want to cruise/travel, you have to and not let the grind of the process bog you down. Keep goals of travel - seeing the beauty of life and the world - at the forefront. BTW, I've insured this trip at a level I've rarely done. The most important thing and most likely to happen is testing + for COVID in a foreign country and having to quarantine at your expense (notable that some countries pay for that).

If that happens enroute to BCN/Apex, the cost of the flight from Zurich (booked with Celebrity Air for that purpose) and the cruise will be covered by Celebrity. Delays, alternative travel requirements as a result of COVID related quarantine expenses are explicitly listed as covered in the policy I bought. It wasn't cheap but the huge costs of a COVID + in a foreign country - an entirely likely possibility - make it worth it.   

6 minutes ago, Bladeguy1308 said:

I gotcha. Maybe i will schedule a pcr for friday. There isnt any availability for antigen at drugstores near me and the urgent cares are rather pricey. 

When scheduling you'll fill out the reason for the test, it should be for travel (preferably) or symptomatic (alternatively). Insurers are starting to get picky about paying for testing - a factor if you have health insurance. You might want to check if this applies. By law this is supposed to be covered. Not surprisingly, insurance companies are trying to get out of paying for it. 

2 hours ago, JeffB said:

When scheduling you'll fill out the reason for the test, it should be for travel (preferably) or symptomatic (alternatively). Insurers are starting to get picky about paying for testing - a factor if you have health insurance. You might want to check if this applies. By law this is supposed to be covered. Not surprisingly, insurance companies are trying to get out of paying for it. 

Just say you don't have insurance, and the test is automatically billed to the federal government for reimbursement, as long as you are at a participating provider in the fed program; all major drugstore chains are participation members.

24 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Just say you don't have insurance, and the test is automatically billed to the federal government for reimbursement, as long as you are at a participating provider in the fed program; all major drugstore chains are participation members.

Biggest problem is there arent any antigen tests near me at a drugstore and im concerned about getting pcr results for a sunday cruise if i test on friday. Urgentcare has the antigen but they want to charge $240 for the office visit and $80 for the test. My insurance wont pay for a test unless i have a referral from my dr. Thats why i want to go with the at home test. 

26 minutes ago, Bladeguy1308 said:

Biggest problem is there arent any antigen tests near me at a drugstore and im concerned about getting pcr results for a sunday cruise if i test on friday. Urgentcare has the antigen but they want to charge $240 for the office visit and $80 for the test. My insurance wont pay for a test unless i have a referral from my dr. Thats why i want to go with the at home test. 

I get it, I am a Big fan of the home test

UPDATE - I emailed Optum (UHC) directly regarding the expiration dates as I could not find verification for the kit lot we received (195-100). I did not want to assume in this case as the consequences for being wrong would be rather negative. This is the text of the letter that I received:

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store. Since the launch of the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card, Abbott has continued testing for product stability to extend the expiration date and have shared these results with the FDA. Testing has been completed to support a shelf-life (expiration date) of up to 12 months. On April 6, 2021, the FDA granted a 12-month shelf life to the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test. This means the expiry date you see printed on your test kits has been extended an additional three (3) months. For example, a test kit with an expiration date of 2021-09-27 (Sept. 27, 2021) will now expire 2021-12-27 (Dec. 27, 2021). This means the expiry date you see printed on your test kits has been extended an additional three (3) months.

Please keep in mind that this letter was issued back in May of this year and batches with new lot numbers will not be on the list as it does not get frequently updated, however this shelf life extension still applies to products whose lot numbers were not listed here. Your product is still valid and I can assure you with certainty that it will still be valid up to 3 months past the expiration date listed on the box. If you have any additional questions please let us know. 

23 hours ago, KevinJ said:

@JeffB Wow Europe right now seems incredibly complex. I'm thinking of a British Isles cruise in 23, really hoping things have settled down by then. My next three cruises are drive to port, allot simpler.  

It is complicated. I think if I had the option, Id' rethink all of this. I don't. This travel was scheduled in mid-2019 for October 2020. It's already been pushed forward a year. Airline reservations were refunded in part in the form of a voucher for future travel. ....... issued almost a year to the date later after I had made a second set of reservations at my expense (long story). So, I'm going!!!.

OTH, I have a particular viewpoint of the SARS2 pandemic .... that is the risk is out-sized esp. for the vaxed, that feeds a negative media narrative, that, in turn produces fear and low confidence levels for safe traveling among the folks.  

I'm bucking that trend. That doesn't mean I'm not taking precautions to prevent myself from getting ill or if I do become infected to protect others.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, MuttMutt said:

Well my tests showed up today. They show to expire 10-04-21 but that has been extended to January 3rd through an ammended cdc shelf life change for the kits.  I wish they would expire closer to March but it's all good. 

How long did it take you to get it? I ordered on Tues and they said it should be here by now but hasn't even shipped yet! I have time, but still. 

20 minutes ago, Jennifer Burke said:

How long did it take you to get it? I ordered on Tues and they said it should be here by now but hasn't even shipped yet! I have time, but still. 

From Optum (the RCL link) it was 2 days for us. I think that is typical - they should have shipped that day or the next at latest. Their email is [email protected] and they respond within 24 hours (they have an 800 # but think they are closed now until Monday).

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

From Optum (the RCL link) it was 2 days for us. I think that is typical - they should have shipped that day or the next at latest. Their email is [email protected] and they respond within 24 hours (they have an 800 # but think they are closed now until Monday).

Thanks. I sent an email so hopefully will hear back. So odd

3 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

UPDATE - I emailed Optum (UHC) directly regarding the expiration dates as I could not find verification for the kit lot we received (195-100). I did not want to assume in this case as the consequences for being wrong would be rather negative. This is the text of the letter that I received:

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store. Since the launch of the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card, Abbott has continued testing for product stability to extend the expiration date and have shared these results with the FDA. Testing has been completed to support a shelf-life (expiration date) of up to 12 months. On April 6, 2021, the FDA granted a 12-month shelf life to the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test. This means the expiry date you see printed on your test kits has been extended an additional three (3) months. For example, a test kit with an expiration date of 2021-09-27 (Sept. 27, 2021) will now expire 2021-12-27 (Dec. 27, 2021). This means the expiry date you see printed on your test kits has been extended an additional three (3) months.

Please keep in mind that this letter was issued back in May of this year and batches with new lot numbers will not be on the list as it does not get frequently updated, however this shelf life extension still applies to products whose lot numbers were not listed here. Your product is still valid and I can assure you with certainty that it will still be valid up to 3 months past the expiration date listed on the box. If you have any additional questions please let us know. 

And I got a completely different answer to the same exact question

4 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

Took about 12 hours for the approval. Shipped the next day FedEx overnight. So from order to arrival was about 40 hours through eMed. 

Update on my order through the Royal Caribbean "storefront": I got an email earlier tonight from Optum telling me my shipment is delayed, though it's been shipped...so I'll get it Monday.

If you go the Optum route through RCCL right now, I'd count on at least 3 days, just as they now say on the order page.