eMed/ BinaxNOW Tests

DanielB

I know these are accepted with Royal for travel and you can buy a 6 pack for $150 +shipping through the website.  The State of Ohio actually offers these free of charge and can be picked up at most of our libraries.  I just went and got 3 to confirm they were the proctored version for our upcoming cruise next month.  I came home and used one to see how they worked and now we have the 2 for our travels next month.  So I would check with your state health departments and see if they offer rapid at home tests, I'm sure if Ohio is using eMed/Abbott then I am sure that many others are as well.

Hope this helps others.  We were just going to go the CVS route but this option is awesome and saves the $150 for the ship.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

A lot of states offer these free for front line workers and other public facing workers including teachers

Didn't know that either, I am surprised that Ohio is giving these expensive tests away at all.  The QR code for testing takes you to an eMed website for Ohio residents.  I even inputted that I was using the test for travel.

Here is the Ohio website if anyone is looking for these.  Not sure all the rapid tests are the proctored type needed so please do your homework first.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/other-resources/testing-ch-centers

On 8/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, DanielB said:

I know these are accepted with Royal for travel and you can buy a 6 pack for $150 +shipping through the website.  The State of Ohio actually offers these free of charge and can be picked up at most of our libraries.  I just went and got 3 to confirm they were the proctored version for our upcoming cruise next month.  I came home and used one to see how they worked and now we have the 2 for our travels next month.  So I would check with your state health departments and see if they offer rapid at home tests, I'm sure if Ohio is using eMed/Abbott then I am sure that many others are as well.

Hope this helps others.  We were just going to go the CVS route but this option is awesome and saves the $150 for the ship.

Were you able to get three for you or three for your family? I wanted to stop and get them for my cruises and wasn't sure if I could only get one or multiple.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:37 PM, Pattycruise said:

I went to the Emed site to order and it asks if it’s for yourself or multiple people.

If you put multiple people it asks for names and DOB.  So does it assign tests to people?  I’m not sure if I need all 6 for me or if I might have my husband and daughter use some.

The tests are not restricted to the names you put on the order.  You can use the test for anyone with an active Navica account.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, DanielB said:

I came home and used one to see how they worked

@DanielBIf you don't mind my asking, how long were you waiting for the proctor on the website and how long did the process take once you got connected?

I just got our kits yesterday for our cruise in October.  Just trying to figure out the timing with our travel. I'm thinking of burning one early to test it out, too.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, mathbees said:

@DanielBIf you don't mind my asking, how long were you waiting for the proctor on the website and how long did the process take once you got connected?

I just got our kits yesterday for our cruise in October.  Just trying to figure out the timing with our travel. I'm thinking of burning one early to test it out, too.

Thanks!

We have completed 2 tests with them....my test I took around 11:15a EST and had no wait, connected right away.  2nd test took at 12:25p EST and waited about 15 mins to connect.  Once the tests are complete (15 min wait time) the connection back to the proctor was almost immediate....less than a minute both times.

52 minutes ago, wozswoman said:

Thanks from a fellow Ohioan that is cruising on 9/26.  We will be in NJ and instead of attempting to schedule etc, I am going to buy the Binax ones but I will look at a local library first.  When I looked online our library system did not have it but I will check back.  

See you on the seas..

I was lucky as all our county branches here have tests, I was able to get 6 so we have 1 spare in case one is defective.  My family is in east central Ohio and they were able to get a couple as well.  However I know many are running out now.  

Good luck

31 minutes ago, DanielB said:

I was lucky as all our county branches here have tests, I was able to get 6 so we have 1 spare in case one is defective.  My family is in east central Ohio and they were able to get a couple as well.  However I know many are running out now.  

Good luck

Do you know the shelf life?

6 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Do you know the shelf life?

All mine expire 12/6....my last cruise departs 12/5....whew.  Just read an article and one of our hospital systems are now giving them away at the door starting tomorrow.  The label says expire 9/6 but has a 3 month extension from the FDA.

Edited by DanielB
expiration explanation

7 minutes ago, wozswoman said:

@DanielB Hello neighbor! We are in East Central/South Ohio.  Zanesville. 

Mansfield here.  My family is from the Newcomerstown area and my niece received the tests at that library.  I know Cambridge library is out though as I have other family from that area (Senecaville).  Small world

On 8/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, DanielB said:

I'm from Ohio too and was JUST looking at this for our cruise in October. I am getting ready to snag a couple of tests as soon as the library restocks. 

Bought a pack of 6 Binax Now tests through Emed.com and should be here today.  Shipping was almost 20 and overnight.  Just selected the option for "returning on a trip to enter the US" and went through no problem.  I figured that was as close as possible to the real reason and honestly they don't care unless you are trying to resell them or something.

However after reading this line I may have found a loophole:  

• The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a medical professional, is NOT accepted.

If you purchase a test at Walmart and have a "medical professional" do the test or supervise would this not count as well?  I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't take them to someone you know who is in that classification and have them do the test for you or "supervise" you and have it still be valid.  The big key in all of this is the "IF" in the taken at home and not supervised.

6 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Bought a pack of 6 Binax Now tests through Emed.com and should be here today.  Shipping was almost 20 and overnight.  Just selected the option for "returning on a trip to enter the US" and went through no problem.  I figured that was as close as possible to the real reason and honestly they don't care unless you are trying to resell them or something.

However after reading this line I may have found a loophole:  

If you purchase a test at Walmart and have a "medical professional" do the test or supervise would this not count as well?  I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't take them to someone you know who is in that classification and have them do the test for you or "supervise" you and have it still be valid.  The big key in all of this is the "IF" in the taken at home and not supervised.

Perhaps that Binax self test is offered at doctors or clinics that can then provide you with the proper documents.

sadly I envision  people purchasing this test and thinking the results are ok….but won’t have documents.  That’s the reason I provided the distinction.  I almost purchased the wrong tests thinking “I only need 2”….now I’ve purchased the correct 6 pack from emed.

5 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Perhaps that Binax self test is offered at doctors or clinics that can then provide you with the proper documents.

sadly I envision  people purchasing this test and thinking the results are ok….but won’t have documents.  That’s the reason I provided the distinction.  I almost purchased the wrong tests thinking “I only need 2”….now I’ve purchased the correct 6 pack from emed.

Who knows for sure.  I am sure that anyone with some sort of medical id can easily make up a printed sheet and give you a test result.  I know it says no hand written notes are accepted but honestly it's easy enough to forge the documentation either way.

Was looking up some info on testing sites as well and came across this for those who may be looking:  

https://doineedacovid19test.com/

They are doing free stuff but they clearly state that they can't guarantee when results will show up.  I may use one a week before I head to a port area though instead of wasting a kit.

22 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Well my tests showed up today. They show to expire 10-04-21 but that has been extended to January 3rd through an ammended cdc shelf life change for the kits.  I wish they would expire closer to March but it's all good. 

Scares me that they expire so soon, not much help for a Nov, Dec, Jan cruise schedule, looks like they are dumping old stock now

18 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Scares me that they expire so soon, not much help for a Nov, Dec, Jan cruise schedule, looks like they are dumping old stock now

They are good for those Nov. and Dec. cruises.  Who knows what January will mean.  Might not even need tests then.  

I too was surprised by the shorter than expected expiration date but I'll have no problem using mine up before January 5.  

Kind of sleazy on eMed's part but they are not the first american company to capitalize on the virus and make bank from it. 

49 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure why eMed is at fault. 

Because eMed is stating the expiration date of the test they are selling has been extended 12 months.  

They have not been.  The expiration dates for current tests being sold by eMed currently have been extended by 3 months according to Abbott.

The tests being sold now by eMed originally had an 8 month expiration from date of manufacturer.  For these tests, the FDA has authorized a 3 month extension taking the expiration to 11 months from the date of manufacture.

Abbott had received an FDA authorization to extend the expiration of select test kits that originally had a 6 month expiration date.  The FDA approved these "select" tests with a 6 month expiration to be extended to 12 months.  This 6 month extension is being improperly offered by eMed as a 12 month extension but it does not apply to all Abbott Binax tests.  It only applied to the ones that originally had a 6 month expiration date and eMed is not selling those right now.

eMed is to blame for the misleading marketing and incorrectly stating there is a 12 month extension.  For tests being currently sold by eMed there is a 3 month extension.

It's not clear what Optum is doing or what expiration dates their tests are shipping with currently.

It seems Optum is equally sleazy.  Frequent flyers have been trying to use the same tests for international travel.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33468753-post110.html

This user eventually received a full refund from Optum after they received tests with just 2 1/2 months of expiration with an apology acknowledging the uncertainty in expiry dates. 

It seems like Abbott manufactured a bunch of these earlier this year but didn't sell a lot of them so the stockpile in the warehouse grew.  Along comes the delta variant and suddenly their tests are in demand so Abbott is shipping old product to their partners.

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

It seems Optum is equally sleazy.  Frequent flyers have been trying to use the same tests for international travel.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33468753-post110.html

This user eventually received a full refund from Optum after they received tests with just 2 1/2 months of expiration with an apology acknowledging the uncertainty in expiry dates. 

It seems like Abbott manufactured a bunch of these earlier this year but didn't sell a lot of them so the stockpile in the warehouse grew.  Along comes the delta variant and suddenly their tests are in demand so Abbott is shipping old product to their partners.

It would be nice if short dated tests were sold at a discount. That’s wishful thinking in the current environment 🙄 

I'm assuming everyone is using https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en to verify the new expiration date based on their lot number?

Initially I didn't see the lot number because you have to slide the "Do Not Open" over to find the sticker (I was looking for it to be stamped into the box). Fortunately, mine expire in January and we're cruise in October. I guess I'll have buy more for our March cruise, if the protocols are still in place.