Straw market in Nassau, kids under 12

Alissa

We haven't cruised for 11 years, but just want to get off Mariner in Nassau next week and walk to the straw market.  

1) Does it still exist (read on another blog that it didn't)?

2) Can vaccinated guests get off the ship by ourselves without an excursion booked (all we want to do is straw market)?

3) What about unvaccinated 11-year-old?

Like I mentioned, all we want to do is 3 vaccinated adults and one unvaccinated 11-year-old make a short trip to the straw market.  We don't want a Nassau walking tour excursion.

Thanks for any help!

1)  I do not believe the Straw Market is there anymore.  I think there was a fire a few years ago and now the new terminal is being built in the same vicinity.

2)  Vaccinated guests can explore on their own.

3)  Unvaccinated guests (under 12 or with a medical or religious reason for not being vaccinated) have to do a Royal excursion to leave the ship.

Enjoy!

Edited by DanielB
added info on additional persons being unvaccinated

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cdixon22 said:

The market is still there but has not reopened as of yet. No date announced according to tourist bureau I contacted today. 

Yes, this. It was still there back in July, but not open. Most things opened at 11:00 am or later in Nassau, but we never saw the Straw Market open during our visit this year.

My wife and I recently watched some recent Nassau Bahamas walkthrough videos on YouTube (we are stopping there in 4 weeks).  Some videos as recent as 4 weeks ago still showed Nassau being almost a ghost town (Straw Market not open).  I'd recommend u watch some of those videos as well to get a idea.  

On 9/23/2021 at 7:01 PM, Luv2Travel said:

Yes, this. It was still there back in July, but not open. Most things opened at 11:00 am or later in Nassau, but we never saw the Straw Market open during our visit this year.

We were there last week. The straw market is closed officially, but there are a lot of the vendors in the streets surrounding the market area, and they have a lot of the smaller items you might find in the market, and don't worry, if you walk even remotely close to there, they'll find you. 🙂 They were a little more aggressive in terms of coming up to you or seeking your attention, but every single one of them were still very polite and very respectful the second we said "no, thank you." As you get a block or two "up" away from that area, some more of the regular shops are open, and you can still get all the usual trinkets and souvenirs. Interestingly the one place I couldn't find was the rum cake store, which appeared closed down, and most of the shops had limited to no supply.  But if you go a little later in the day, as others have mentioned, enough will be open you can still make a few hours of wandering and shopping, if you really wanted to.