Passport

Cile

We recently did ours (they were so far expired that we had to start fresh); we expedited, which they were saying could take up to 12 weeks.  We made an appointment at the post office on July 30 to submit the paperwork. The applications were received by the state dept on August 2, and we got them yesterday!  Much sooner than 12 weeks, but it's not a guarantee.  I would plan for the longer time and be happily surprised if it doesn't take as long.

2 hours ago, skittermagoo said:

We recently did ours (they were so far expired that we had to start fresh); we expedited, which they were saying could take up to 12 weeks.  We made an appointment at the post office on July 30 to submit the paperwork. The applications were received by the state dept on August 2, and we got them yesterday!  Much sooner than 12 weeks, but it's not a guarantee.  I would plan for the longer time and be happily surprised if it doesn't take as long.

We had a similar result recently in getting my son's passport. 

• 4 weeks later...

Applied for our renewals on June 24. On September 13 I contacted the passport office and paid for expedited service with express service

received the passports today. Cost for both services were around 145.00. Well worth the peace of mind getting on the ship Sunday with the passport and not just a birth certificate.

I mailed my renewal documents by priority mail on June 21 and got notification they received them 2 days later. The status checker has been saying that my application is “in process” since July 21. I applied for routine service thinking that I’d get my passport in plenty of time for my November cruise, but now i am not so sure. I changed my application to expedited with 1-2 day mailing one week ago. Still no change on the status checker. Kinda frustrating, but I do have a WA state enhanced ID and my birth certificate as my back up plan. Time will tell!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter renewed her passport recently.  Filed the paperwork at the local post office on August 16th with normal routine processing and NO expediting service.  We received her new passport exactly 5 weeks later on Sept. 20th, and received her birth certificate and other official paperwork separately in the mail about 3 days later...

We were also told at the post office that it would be at least 12-16 weeks, so was pleasantly surprised when it arrived in 5 weeks!!!

Unfortunately it really depends on how quickly they can process things at the passport office. I recently renewed my passport but am sailing out in november. I was told that they do try to take into account your travel date if you put one on your renewal. 

My suggestion would be as a backup I did if there was a way to travel without a passport. I was told by RCI that cruises leaving from the US and returning to the US I could come on board with an Enhanced Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. I was also told that you can travel with your trusted traveler ID card from Global Entry Sentri Nexus or FAST.