C&A Program Updates - Drink Vouchers

RCL announced yesterday that they have decided to make what I understand were Covid-19 changes to the Drink Voucher program, permanent.

(Link:https://www.royalcaribbean.com/crown-anchor-society/program-updates?ecid=em_12141207&rid=585163544&rcid=47242204&empc=RCIN_CAS_0820&emsc=RCIN_CAS_0820_DP_CN&empf=&emct=DIAMOND PLUS&lnkid=INTRO_CTA&ect=TAC&ecv=DP)

Previously (pre-Covid), drink vouchers could be used at any bar during the hours in which the Diamond Lounge was open for Happy Hour. Outside of those hours, get out yer' sea pass card matie...arrrr.

If you were in the Diamond Lounge during Happy Hour...line em' up, the vouchers were not relevant (but don't forget to tip your friendly Diamond Lounge staff!).

However, there is a nuance built into the announcement that did catch my attention.

"...These can be used at any bar, at any time, in the Diamond Lounge during Happy Hour or in our private destinations..."

This reads like the Diamond Lounge effectively becomes a temporary bar...and any drink you have within said lounge is effectively deducted accordingly from your daily voucher allotment.

Anyone else reading it differently?

11 minutes ago, Gears said:

This reads like the Diamond Lounge effectively becomes a temporary bar...and any drink you have within said lounge is effectively deducted accordingly from your daily voucher allotment.

That is my understanding as well.  That any drinks consumed now in the Diamond lounge, you would have to use one (or more) of your vouchers for.  Gone are the days where you could sit there for hours in the D lounge and drink (and tip) away without redeeming anything.

19 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

If my sailing in October this year takes me to Diamond level,  will my status have been updated by my sailing in November?

General rule of thumb is to expect two weeks after a sailing to have the C&A points reflected on your profile and resulting tier level changes.

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Use them for non-alcoholic versions, or smoothies, or (at the very least) bottles of water to hydrate your hubby.

Yeah, I figure bottled water if nothing else. I’m not one to drink sugared beverages, including smoothies. Southern girl here who hates sweet tea as well. ?Don’t tell anyone around here. It’s blasphemy. ?

47 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

You can... but practices like this cause Royal to change policies to curb them, thereby affecting everyone negatively.   The benefits are intended for the CAS members to enjoy.

When the voucher policy for drinks was first announced, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember many people on here in that original thread saying that it was OK to use your vouchers to buy a drink for a friend ………. Obviously that’s not allowed with a regular drink package  ………. But they were saying that you earned the drink vouchers and could use them for yourself or anyone you wanted to use them for.

15 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

If my sailing in October this year takes me to Diamond level,  will my status have been updated by my sailing in November?

I've been in this same situation twice ….. cruises a few weeks apart and level change …….. both times it changed in our online accounts within 10 days after the cruise …….  This first time going from platinum to emerald I did nothing and our seapass cards had our old status when we boarded so we had to go get new cards  ……… we were told if we had a status change after our documents were available again to call and ask for them to update our documents once the change occurs ……… we did that the second time ….. our original documents said emerald, the new documents said Diamond and when we got on he ship our seapass card was correct  saying Diamond ……… it seems that the status on your documents is what they put on your seapass card even if your online account says you went to the next level.

46 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I've been in this same situation twice ….. cruises a few weeks apart and level change …….. both times it changed in our online accounts within 10 days after the cruise …….  This first time going from platinum to emerald I did nothing and our seapass cards had our old status when we boarded so we had to go get new cards  ……… we were told if we had a status change after our documents were available again to call and ask for them to update our documents once the change occurs ……… we did that the second time ….. our original documents said emerald, the new documents said Diamond and when we got on he ship our seapass card was correct  saying Diamond ……… it seems that the status on your documents is what they put on your seapass card even if your online account says you went to the next level.

Thanks!   This is the exact information I wanted to know.

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

When the voucher policy for drinks was first announced, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember many people on here in that original thread saying that it was OK to use your vouchers to buy a drink for a friend ………. Obviously that’s not allowed with a regular drink package  ………. But they were saying that you earned the drink vouchers and could use them for yourself or anyone you wanted to use them for.

I asked specifically on the "old" rollout and was told it was encouraged to use them on buying drinks for others (like chips ... once you have one you have to have more), havent specifically asked since the "relaunch" but they definitely didnt have a problem with me buying cocktails for friends with my freebies while using my drink package to buy me beers so i dont think it has changed.

25 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I asked specifically on the "old" rollout and was told it was encouraged to use them on buying drinks for others (like chips ... once you have one you have to have more), havent specifically asked since the "relaunch" but they definitely didnt have a problem with me buying cocktails for friends with my freebies while using my drink package to buy me beers so i dont think it has changed.

Can we hide this from my cruise companions?  ha ha

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just curious, was this listed on your kids' Diamond benefits sheet? Or you asked for it at a bar and they served it?

I don't recall whose names were on the diamond letter.  But we asked the concierge if minors got diamond vouchers and he said a new change to protocols starting that cruise allowed minors to get vouchers.

We used it at several bars and coco cay and had no issue redeeming them.

We’re Diamond and usually get the drink package. If my husband gets the drink package and I get the refreshments package, I could use my vouchers and hubby could “gift” me with his vouchers by buying me drinks, correct? 

I plan to confirm this when we’re on Symphony in October. We already have the DBP on that cruise but going forward I’d like to do the above. 

15 hours ago, Jill said:

We’re Diamond and usually get the drink package. If my husband gets the drink package and I get the refreshments package, I could use my vouchers and hubby could “gift” me with his vouchers by buying me drinks, correct? 

I plan to confirm this when we’re on Symphony in October. We already have the DBP on that cruise but going forward I’d like to do the above. 

That's correct, might get a little complicated depending on your reason for getting the refreshment instead of the drink package but i doubt anyone is looking at it that closely.

4 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Is the goal here to add you your alcoholic beverage allocation?

Yes. I would use my vouchers and hubby would use his vouchers to gift drinks to me. We’d buy a DBP for him to use and I’d buy the refreshments package (and use the 8 vouchers between us for me)