Best Way to Carry Around Sea Pass

1 hour ago, skittermagoo said:

For the lanyards with the clear badge holders . . . do you have to take the pass out of the holder every time you need to use it at a bar or similar? Or do they scan it through the holder? (first timer here)

I use the badge holder for cards with RFID.  They can scan it with the sleeve/holder on.  

For regular cards, I don’t use the sleeve.  I bring my own punch to punch a hole to attach it to a lanyard or carabiner.

3 hours ago, skittermagoo said:

For the lanyards with the clear badge holders . . . do you have to take the pass out of the holder every time you need to use it at a bar or similar? Or do they scan it through the holder? (first timer here)

Depends on what ship you are on.  The newer ships use RFID technology so it's a tap to pay, so you can hand over the card in the sleeve and effectively never take it out because you also tap to open up your cabin door with it.

Older ships require them to be swiped, so you'd have to take them in and out of the sleeve.  

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I saw these in a FB group and got them.  I haven't used it yet, but it seems like it will be great.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079ZKQBMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use these for our badge holder at work. They are heavy duty and take the snap attachment on the lanyard or the regular snap hook. Easy to slide the card in and out with the thumb slot in the back. Used to (at least in Galveston) the vendors who sold lanyards before we boarded had slot hole punches so you did not need a holder.

I use a small crossbody cell phone bag. It has slots for credit type cards as well as a separate front pocket. Both pockets have zippers with adjustable strap. Came with a carabiner clip and has a belt loop thing on the back if you want to wear it on a belt. Bought it on Amazon years ago. Great bag. 

49 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

We bought these lanyards off Amazon and they work great!  We ditched the plastic sleeves and had our cards punched at the Terminal.  The retractable cord and clip to disconnect it from the lanyard are very very handy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VFWX3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The new cards with RFID technology cannot be punched, not unless one knows where the circuitry is located in the card.  That's when the sleeve can be used.

I hope Royal incorporates the hole when their redesign their cards.  A good percentage of cruisers use lanyards for their cards

23 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

We use these for our badge holder at work. They are heavy duty and take the snap attachment on the lanyard or the regular snap hook. Easy to slide the card in and out with the thumb slot in the back. Used to (at least in Galveston) the vendors who sold lanyards before we boarded had slot hole punches so you did not need a holder.

That's how I usually carry it during the day, but this looks better and easier to hand the card to someone or put it in a slot machine.  It's not like taking the lanyard off is a big deal though.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 9:00 AM, Cruiser58 said:

We have Guest Services punch a hole in the SeaPass and clip it in a lanyard. My lanyard ha a detachable part so I don't have to keep pulling my lanyard over my head when I use it.

The newer seapass cards (all one color , blueish for those in reg. cabins) can't have a hole punched in them.

But you don't have to take them out of the holder , in order for them to be read/scanned.

• 5 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 3:34 PM, steverk said:

My wife insists on a lanyard.  I simply slip it in my back pocket and don't carry my wallet on ship.

As many have stated, it is the size of a credit card or hotel key.  Which leads to another point.  On some of the newer ships, Royal has made it so you have to put your seapass card in a holder in order to keep the lights on in your room.  This is inconvenient if it is on a lanyard.  I haven't been on one of these ships yet, but I plan to use one of my old hotel keys when I do experience it.

I use my triple A card to keep my lights on, any card will work 

1 hour ago, Riley said:

Agreed - I use an old business card. Slip it in behind the seapass card then take the seapass card out.  Works like a charm.

I use old Hotel Room key cards/RFD cards.  Yes, I'm one of those that keeps the Key Card.  But, just for this reason.  

Royal's intent with this energy savings idea was a noble one.  However, as people learn and adapt, it becomes mute/useless/lacking desired results. 

I have several "cruising" cargo shorts that have a zippered pocket on my leg in front.  It goes in there zipped shut.  I can't tell how many times I slap that pocket to ensure it is still there.  As I write this I realize I might not be wearing those shorts much on our Alaskan cruise if the weather is cooler.  I got to come up with a plan B.

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Andreas said:

Don’t the sea passes have a hole in them any more? I previously just used a lanyard directly to the sea pass. 

B15FB256-44B6-4A58-8898-D0891C3652C0.jpeg

Not unless you ask Guest Services to punch a hole in them for you (and as long as it's the kind you swipe and not tap).  I've never gotten one that had a hole in it already.  In fact, that's the kind you tap and I've always been told that you can't hole punch them, so now I must question everything I know about the world.

We're just back from our cruise and I used a lanyard some of the time and a waterproof phone case on others. 

When we were at the pool, I'd put my phone and my Sea Pass card in the waterproof case. That way I could use my phone right in the case without it getting wet and when I needed to use the Sea Pass card, it worked right in the case without having to remove it. I got them on Amazon.

8 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Not unless you ask Guest Services to punch a hole in them for you (and as long as it's the kind you swipe and not tap).  I've never gotten one that had a hole in it already.  In fact, that's the kind you tap and I've always been told that you can't hole punch them, so now I must question everything I know about the world.

Laughed so much that I spilt my coffee.🤣

• 9 months later...