Teen Crown and Anchor status after 18th birthday

Stemcgoo

Hi all, first post here.

I have a question about teens CAS tier membership after an 18th birthday.

My daughter currently has her own CAS number and holds the same CAS tier as us, she is 17.  We’ll be hitting Diamond tier later this year after a cruise, and after this she turns 18, before we are sailing again next year.

My question is what tier will she have after her 18th birthday (we are in UK so expect she’ll be considered Adult in her own right, however the sailing next  year is actually out of Port Canaveral so not sure if this will be 21…?)

Will she still be treated same tier as us her parents, or will she now have her own points?  If the latter what points does she ‘inherit’ - ie our Diamond tier? Or is there a count back on actual points from her own sailings (a little less than ours as we have honeymoon and anniversary cruises without kids). Or does she start from scratch…??

All advice is most welcome.

10 minutes ago, Bakerette said:

When your daughter turns 18 she will be an adult and so she will keep Diamond status but will earn points beginning at 0 until she has enough points to get to the next tier. In the USA anyone 18+ is an adult

Wouldn't she keep any points she has earned by her actual nights spent sailing as a child?

12 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

Wouldn't she keep any points she has earned by her actual nights spent sailing as a child?

I believe this is correct. She'll have the points she has actually accumulated, but also keep the higher tier she inherited from the parents.  Once she accumulates enough additional points to legitimately be at that tier level, then both her achieved tier and inherited tier will be lined up again.

27 minutes ago, mathbees said:

I believe this is correct. She'll have the points she has actually accumulated, but also keep the higher tier she inherited from the parents.  Once she accumulates enough additional points to legitimately be at that tier level, then both her achieved tier and inherited tier will be lined up again.

This is correct

Thanks to everyone for the responses - its been helpful (and unusually for social media, everyone is in agreement ?)

It seems fairly straightforward that she should keep the Diamond status (?) but have her own accumulated points (yes it wouldn't actually be enough for Diamond on her own, probably be ok for Platinum I think, but regardless as she will be considered Diamond) and then add to her points based on her future cruising - which in terms of CAS tiers, would be Diamond until she gets to Diamond Plus at 175 nights.

2 hours ago, Stemcgoo said:

Thanks to everyone for the responses - its been helpful (and unusually for social media, everyone is in agreement ?)

It seems fairly straightforward that she should keep the Diamond status (?) but have her own accumulated points (yes it wouldn't actually be enough for Diamond on her own, probably be ok for Platinum I think, but regardless as she will be considered Diamond) and then add to her points based on her future cruising - which in terms of CAS tiers, would be Diamond until she gets to Diamond Plus at 175 nights.

She will be Diamond - not just be “considered” Diamond- and have all the Diamond perks allowed at her age.  It doesn’t matter how many actual points she  has earned.  

She will not advance to D+ until her personal points reach 175.  Let’s say she has 65 points based on her own cruising history.  She will remain Diamond until she earns the additional 110 required points, but every seapass until that time will show she is Diamond. 

Adulthood is based on departure point so if 18 is the legal age to drink in the UK. Any cruise that leaves from a port where the legal drinking age is 18 she will be able to get acholic drinks with her vouchers. But the US (port Canaveral) would have a legal drinking age of 21, meaning no Diamond alcoholic drinks.

My daughter turned 18 this past February.  Her points were 68 and her level Emerald prior to cruising.  The recent cruise was just added in, her points are still 68 and her status emerald.  She was disappointed.  We looked at each cruise she was on snd added up the points.  All of the cruises she’s been on (including this last one) total 68 points, a few of my cruise points that she wasn’t on dropped off her  points.    With the double points she’ll hit Diamond on her next 7 night sailing. 

she was able to drink on the ship that left out of the Bahamas.  However I don’t believe RC would have allowed her to book a cabin without someone over 21 on her sailing/in her party..  So she cannot decide to book a cruise on her own until she is 21.

• 8 months later...

I had an interesting phone conversation with a CAS supervisor today.   At the end of 2021 we realized we were within striking distance to hurry up and get diamond before my daughter's 18th birthday so she could inherit our new diamond status.   She has sailed with us a few times and did already have her own CAS number.  I verified with CAS reps onshore and on ship to verify what we were planning would work.   I find out today that even though we became Diamond, our daughter is not eligible for the inheritance.  The reason given was she did not sail prior to her 18th birthday with us as diamond so she is ineligible.  

I'm hoping this was just a situation where it was late and I was their last call for the day.   But I'm also concerned because after we earned diamond status and before her birthday I called and made sure everything was good and she would be marked as diamond.   Today, CAS rep on the phone said she sees where it was reversed due to the above given reason.   Back to gold she went.

I'd love some perspective on this if anyone has any......moral support at the least 😂.

I was talking to a girl on one of my last cruises who had this issue. She said her status reverted to her point level because she hadn't sailed as many nights as her parents who were diamond plus. We were on Mariner and the LA told her she maintained that status until she turned 18, at which point she would need the points to match her levels. So, it seems that they match status until 18, which is what the FAQs mention.

She had 32 and was Emerald.

I looked it up and it says they share tier until they turn 18. So, it sounds like they last rep was right.

I took this from the FAQs.........

19 Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent's record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status

8 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I looked it up and it says they share tier until they turn 18. So, it sounds like they last rep was right.

I took this from the FAQs.........

19 Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent's record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status

But with that last sentence, that tells me the child keeps the status of their parents when the child turns 18 if they're worried about the over 18 child getting a tier upgrade via their parents.

The last rep mentioned this and we went and looked at it together, but I did notice the CAS membership benefits sheet that this is from was changed in March.   I need to find one from December (she turned 18 on December 29th) and see if it was different.   I just can't believe so many people told us wrong until today.   Needless to say, it's very frustrating.

I am sorry but many reps don't appear to be fully trained. The girl I was talking to sailed in Jan, and it seems like the C&A have updated their FAQS since then.

I guess I always read it as once the child become 18, they get their own status based on points. Hence why they cannot get Pinnacle status, like a spouse or life partner does, even when they don't sail. 

Question of a similar nature, how can we find out our sons C&A number, he's now over 18 and hasn't cruised with us in a while but will of earnt Emerald status while he sailed with us, keen for him not to lose this should he start cruising again.

37 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Question of a similar nature, how can we find out our sons C&A number, he's now over 18 and hasn't cruised with us in a while but will of earnt Emerald status while he sailed with us, keen for him not to lose this should he start cruising again.

Do you still have old invoices from those cruises? It'd be on there.

We are going on our first RCCL cruise this month. My husband and I have C&A numbers, but my kids do not. I tried to sign them up for memberships, but it said they have to be over 18 to receive a C&A number. 

I have seen several others mention that their under 18 children have numbers. How did they manage to do this? 

On 4/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, RoHoCruise said:

The last rep mentioned this and we went and looked at it together, but I did notice the CAS membership benefits sheet that this is from was changed in March.   I need to find one from December (she turned 18 on December 29th) and see if it was different.   I just can't believe so many people told us wrong until today.   Needless to say, it's very frustrating.

I just spoke with a C&A rep to straighten out a double points issue. After it was straightened out I asked if anything relating to the C&A parent/child relationship status for points has changed in the last year and was told no.  She verified that if a parent reaches diamond or diamond plus and they have children who have a C&A number and have sailed at least once prior to their 18th birthday then they would retain their diamond/diamond plus status but their natural amount of points earned would be what shows on their profile once they turn 18.  This is how we've always understood it to be.  Hopefully you can get this straightened out with one more call.  Good luck.