Liberty of the Seas - 1st time and I have questions.

MLevin

We have booked our second ever cruise on the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston in early 2017.  (Our first cruise was on the Oasis).  

I am looking for all kinds of hints, tips, and tidbits about the ship, shows, and sailing out of Galveston you may have.  I read a LOT about the other ship before sailing but don't seem to find as much information about this one.  Of course everyone's opinion is their own and I am certainly not looking for a debate, I would just like to know what you liked best or least.  Where are hidden gems or nuggets on board.  If it wasn't for the boards I would have never known about the late night shows like the Love and Marriage etc.  We booked traditional dining this time.....good move? What time is best?  Best dishes to get.  Which dining location is recommended? 

Thanks in advance...looking forward to reading responses.  

For cruising out of Galveston you may find this thread helpful:

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/568-all-things-galveston-answers-to-your-questions/

You picked a great ship! I have been on her twice and have her booked for two more future cruises. One of the best things about Liberty and other RCL ships is the entertainment. We loved the shows and the Liberty of the Seas orchestra was a favorite of mine. They have a very good country band (sailing out of Texas of course). And of course you will get to see Saturday Night Fever, a full length musical production with live orchestra.

I do a live Periscope broadcast of her departure from Galveston on most Sunday afternoons around 4 pm Central time. My periscope name is @GalvestonSteve.

• 3 weeks later...

Liberty is awesome, we're going back for a second time in Feb 2017!

You can all the way up to the tip of the bow. It's great for the sail away. Go to deck 4 and go forward as far as you can, go up the stairs and forward.

The Tidal Wave slide is a lot of fun. It's faster than it looks. Minimum weight is 100 and max is 240 per person.

As you probably experienced in Oasis, you can't do everything, but you can sure try!

Enjoy!

I was on Liberty in April after the renovations and really enjoyed it. Since you've been on Oasis, you'll be somewhat familiar with the layout. Obviously there's no Central Park or Boardwalk but the Promenade is still a good place to hang and people watch and avenue from one end to the other. Although because it's not as wide as Oasis it can get congested - especially when the sales tables are set up. I found a good alternative to this is the outside deck on deck 4 to go from one end to the other. Deck 4 is also a good place for reading and shooting sunset photos... the area that bows out to go around the MDR allows for cool shots down the side of the ship.

Sabor is everything it's made out to be. As Texans, it's easy to get jaded about Mexican food but we all found it to be a great upscale spin on the Tex-Mex we all know. Get the guac! We went for lunch and definitely didn't need "pre-dinner" that day.

My group also loved our MDR experience. Really enjoyed getting to know our waiters and the food was always good to very good.

1.  Being on board with many friends that continually sail out of Galveston.

2.  The friendly crew, always willing to help.

3.  The new water slides.

4.  Sabor's restaurant.

5.  Not true Voom, but better Wifi service than in the past

Hello from College Station!  But I spend the weekends in The Woodlands a lot, so even closer!

Thank you for the feedback.  

Have been on liberty 14 times since it came to Galveston.  4 before dry dock and 10 since dry dock.  If you have any ship related questions, just ask.  You will enjoy the ship and especially the crew if you take the time to talk to them.

Are you sure for answering all my questions....????  lol.  

We are excited but confused.  The cruise we will take is 6 nights not 7.  I am curious as to how that will effect the schedule or events on the ship and the menus in the dining ..etc.  Is there a copy somewhere of the cruise daily schedule or menu that can help us decide and plan?  We want to book a specialty restaurant but want to plan it around what is being served in the main dining.  We also are curious as to when the fun shows are so we can book meals around those.  

The other set of questions have to do with excursions.  The one excursion type that my husband wants to do is see a mayan ruin.  Any recommendations?  I think it is crazy to do soem of them that require a 2 hour ride there and a ferry for 45 minute tour...but if it is amazing...then we will do that.  

We have all the tips/tricks from our first cruise to bring a power adapter, magnets, highlighter, clorax wipes.....what is your must have in your bag that you recommend? 

Thanks for your help!

We are excited but confused.  The cruise we will take is 6 nights not 7.  I am curious as to how that will effect the schedule or events on the ship and the menus in the dining ..etc.  Is there a copy somewhere of the cruise daily schedule or menu that can help us decide and plan?  We want to book a specialty restaurant but want to plan it around what is being served in the main dining.  We also are curious as to when the fun shows are so we can book meals around those.  

The other set of questions have to do with excursions.  The one excursion type that my husband wants to do is see a mayan ruin.  Any recommendations?  I think it is crazy to do soem of them that require a 2 hour ride there and a ferry for 45 minute tour...but if it is amazing...then we will do that.  

We have all the tips/tricks from our first cruise to bring a power adapter, magnets, highlighter, clorax wipes.....what is your must have in your bag that you recommend? 

I'll be on Liberty on Oct. 9! I've been to Cozumel before with RC, but never the other ports of call we'll visit (Costa Maya and Roatan). I think the Mayan ruins on Cozumel aren't nearly as spectacular as when you go further inland. The last time I was in Cozumel we did Tulum Ruins & Beach Break and, in my opinion, if you're dead-set on Mayan ruins it's worth it. The drive didn't seem that bad, either, and the lunch was good. 

Another tip that we swear by is to bring a case of water. This is particularly true if you're not getting the drink package. It just makes it easier when you're doing shore excursions. 

My family's favorite thing, though, is to bring a few games and play them in common areas on the ship as we people watch. People often join us. It's a fun way to meet people of all ages!  

I'm not sure about your dining time options, but for our sailing the choices were 5:30 or 8:00. We originally booked the 8:00, but recently changed it to my time dining and made reservations at 6:15 every night. With the time difference coming from the east coast, 8:00 dinner would feel like 10:00 to us. There are only two of us, so we don't usually take the full allotted dinner time. 6:15 My Time will let us eat and get to post-dinner shows with the earlier dinner crowd, without having to eat at 5:30. 

Thanks for your reply. Logmein is a remote access tool (website). I would be able to remotely connect to my work PC. This is a working cruise for me and if that was blocked, my other option is vpn, but I have to know beforehand because one requires I leave my PC at work and the other requires I have it with me.

Formal night can be like prom.  It goes from just nice shirt and pants to shirt and tie to suit with coat and tie to tux.  Ladies nice pants to blouse to evening wear to formal gown.  Whatever you want to do.  I have seen shorts on formal night, but hope fully they keep them out.  Many do not go to dinning room on formal night and just go to windjammer or specialty restaurant. 

These formal nights, is it like prom formal?

Also typical dining room dinner, men must wear jackets and tie, but can I wear pants and blouse? Like business casual?

It's as formal as you'd like to make it. Dress shirt and tie to formal suit or tux. I've submitted the suit and even a blazer for just a dead shirt and tie.

Thanks for your reply. Logmein is a remote access tool (website). I would be able to remotely connect to my work PC. This is a working cruise for me and if that was blocked, my other option is vpn, but I have to know beforehand because one requires I leave my PC at work and the other requires I have it with me.

You could always load Teamviewer onto a machine at home and leave it running in server mode.  Then you can access that one from your machine on the cruise, and remotely use the one at home to RDC or VPN into your work boxes.  I've used Teamviewer in all sorts of places where everything except ports 80/443 were blocked.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been on liberty 14 times since it came to Galveston.  4 before dry dock and 10 since dry dock.  If you have any ship related questions, just ask.  You will enjoy the ship and especially the crew if you take the time to talk to them.

What's the deal with the penguins? What are your favorite bars or specialty restaurants? Did you do the Chef's table and what did you think? Does Liberty offer the "Cook's Tour" of the kitchen? (They offered that on Navigator). Any ship secrets we should know? Thanks bunches!

UkuleleCruiser -

I think the penguins are just around the workout area and it is just a theme.  Our favorite restaurants are Chops and Sabor.  Have never done the Chef's Table and do not care to as I do not drink and that is one of the main purposes of the table is to pair food with drinks.  If you mean the galley tour, they offer that for Diamonds and above for free and if you want a ship's tour I think it costs about $150.00 per person, but is size limited. Have no favorite bar as once again do not drink if I did, can get all the drinks I want from 4:30 to 8:00 each day in the lounges during happy hour or have 3 drinks loaded on my card to go to any bar and get a drink during same happy hour.

UkuleleCruiser -

I think the penguins are just around the workout area and it is just a theme.  Our favorite restaurants are Chops and Sabor.  Have never done the Chef's Table and do not care to as I do not drink and that is one of the main purposes of the table is to pair food with drinks.  If you mean the galley tour, they offer that for Diamonds and above for free and if you want a ship's tour I think it costs about $150.00 per person, but is size limited. Have no favorite bar as once again do not drink if I did, can get all the drinks I want from 4:30 to 8:00 each day in the lounges during happy hour or have 3 drinks loaded on my card to go to any bar and get a drink during same happy hour.

Thanks for the feedback! Good stuff.

I am sailing on Jan 2nd.  It is a 6 day cruise.  So....how does that shift the entertainment and dining schedule?  I want to book speciality reservations (at least one night) but want to look at what the menu is in the Main Dining room first.  How do I find that information out?  Also, for those who have cruised on Liberty before, what are you favorite hang out spots?  

I am sailing on Jan 2nd. It is a 6 day cruise. So....how does that shift the entertainment and dining schedule? I want to book speciality reservations (at least one night) but want to look at what the menu is in the Main Dining room first. How do I find that information out? Also, for those who have cruised on Liberty before, what are you favorite hang out spots?

I'm guessing were on the same Allure cruise. There's no way to know in advance. There's even no way to tell if lobster will be served since it sometimes isn't on cruises less than 7 days.

We bought the five night package and then found out that our TA provided us with one night of specialty dining, so we may not make it to the MDR except for lunch.