Bringing back found seashells from Cozumel

Someone elsewhere online was griping that a conch they found while in Cozumel was taken away from them by RC, apparently after Mexican "officials" said it was OK. No details about who inspected it, and when asked this person said they rinsed it off with the saltwater (adding "it's the same ocean that touches the US") so it was "clean enough" to make it legal.

Anyone know where to find RC's policy on disallowing found seashells to be brought onboard? This person sounded ready to go to war, so I'm trying to see what info is out there.

Yeah I cited what I remembered about Aruba as an example, and was told to present laws and facts, not my “opinion.” I did not disembark at Cozumel this time around so don’t remember what signage may have been there. Honestly this person sounds like a real pushy type, but I can’t find sources yet, to definitively say “not allowed” (sources being laws, regulations, or even anything on RC’s website, and since ai didn’t get off the ship there, I can’t say there was a sign).

This falls under USDA which at the cruise terminals says no fruits, shells, blah blah blah...however this is what I found on their website

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-I-bring-sea-shells-from-another-country-into-the-United-States#:~:text=USDA does not require a permit to bring,not contain any dirt%2C which can carry microorganisms.

This article says you can, but I do know the signage on the gangway and guidance from the ships says no.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

This falls under USDA which at the cruise terminals says no fruits, shells, blah blah blah...however this is what I found on their website

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-I-bring-sea-shells-from-another-country-into-the-United-States#:~:text=USDA does not require a permit to bring,not contain any dirt%2C which can carry microorganisms.

This article says you can, but I do know the signage on the gangway and guidance from the ships says no.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Thanks! I’ve given up on this person who has gotten aggressive towards any response that isn’t cited, and has now declared this her worst cruising experience ever and will never use or recommend RC again. She added “Carnival was much better!” I think she’s be better off sticking with them, if having a conch shell confiscated has ruined her honeymoon.

15 minutes ago, HtownHolly said:

Thanks! I’ve given up on this person who has gotten aggressive towards any response that isn’t cited, and has now declared this her worst cruising experience ever and will never use or recommend RC again. She added “Carnival was much better!” I think she’s be better off sticking with them, if having a conch shell confiscated has ruined her honeymoon.

I have learned that there are some people who are not happy unless they’re unhappy. Quite the conundrum.

Royal has stopped bringing shells back onboard for a long time.  Years ago, we had some shells, pieces of dead corral and a couple of rocks in our backpack going through security at labadee to get back on the ship...We wanted them for our home aquarium.   The items were picked up on x-ray and confiscated.  So if you really wanted to keep your find, you had to carry it back on ship in your pockets.

That was my understanding as well (plus… how about not just helping yourself to the native organic materials anyhow?) but this person was adamant that it’s not illegal, and that RC “stole” the shell from her, and is demanding proof (from fellow passengers) because RC folks on the ship were “lying” to her.

I think it’s commmon sense, personally… especially with a conch shell which can hide who-knows-what in it. But I guess once something is “special” snd “sentimental”, common sense flies out the window.

2 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

You could always give her a copy of my favorite calendar

20210823_103059[1].jpg

One of the more exciting discoveries in LAB, spotting a giant conch shell in the water close to shore. Immediate thought.... what a souvenir. Turn my back and it was gone, buried into the sand. I've since learned about the conch food industry, especially in the Bahamas. Had no idea. And no surprise it is tough shape due to over harvesting. Yes a much more sentimental souvenir to find vs paying $20 on the street. That is the only way to get a shell back on a ship. Best shell collecting - Baja MEX. Mountains(wheel barrow mountains)  of them just waiting to be taken home, and feet don't need to even get wet!

And yeah. I was just called “rude, hateful and just as ridiculous as the RC crew” after saying I bet that the truth is it’s not allowed on, but enforcement of that is inconsistent, and added that I hope she can put this seashell thing behind her mentally so that the rest of her honeymoon isn’t ruined. 

Sounds like an extended Bridezilla experience.

1 hour ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

I believe she can find proof by reading her Cruise Compass for the day she visited Cozumel.  Do you have your copies?  Maybe you could scan yours to show her proof.  I doubt that would stop her entitled rant, however. 

I didn’t save them, but they were all uploaded to the group. I don’t see anything in that day’s compass that mentions bringing things back onboard, one way or another.

1 hour ago, HtownHolly said:

And yeah. I was just called “rude, hateful and just as ridiculous as the RC crew” after saying I bet that the truth is it’s not allowed on, but enforcement of that is inconsistent, and added that I hope she can put this seashell thing behind her mentally so that the rest of her honeymoon isn’t ruined. 

Sounds like an extended Bridezilla experience.

Don’t let her get you down. 

Here is a link to the US Customs Border Protection form 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

The second column states that you cannot bring back agricultural or wildlife. 

image.png.e5a7189a36e9dfab9f59f1c3fc778ff3.png

If you search the CBP website for shells, it will pull up several press releases showing where they have confiscated shells (sea shells, turtle shells, giant snail shells, etc.). Here is one. https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-highlights-arrests-and-seizures-week-23?_ga=2.177561568.431818366.1629745920-729546911.1629745920

29 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

Here is a link to the US Customs Border Protection form 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

The second column states that you cannot bring back agricultural or wildlife. 

image.png.e5a7189a36e9dfab9f59f1c3fc778ff3.png

If you search the CBP website for shells, it will pull up several press releases showing where they have confiscated shells (sea shells, turtle shells, giant snail shells, etc.). Here is one. https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-highlights-arrests-and-seizures-week-23?_ga=2.177561568.431818366.1629745920-729546911.1629745920

Interesting. There seems to be an explanation gap between “restricted” and declaring. Like, if you have a seashell and declare it, can it be allowed, or would it automatically be confiscated because it’s a “restricted” “animal product”?

Apparently this person never watched The Brady Bunch, Hawaiian vacation episode... bad things happen when you take what doesn't belong to you.  All kidding aside, if this person's entire vacation was spoiled by one thing being confiscated, then there are bigger issues involved than a simple conch shell.