CDC Warning for High Risk Passengers

7 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

The CDC has always said this about cruises. Even pre pandemic. Nothing new here.

Actually that part was just added

Summary of Recent Changes

August 20, 2021

Updated the notice to recommend travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness avoid cruise ship travel, regardless of vaccination status.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Yet again no warning from the CDC for other high risk areas on land.  Gotta love their devotion and fixation on one single industry.  

I’m watching the morning news in NY and it’s about how Broadway is reopening.

will it be every other row blocked off like it currently is on the cruises? Are they making you hand sanitizer?  When you can go to indoor dining before your show, like a cruise, or go shopping in stores, like a cruise, how is it any different than a cruise?

32 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

will it be every other row blocked off like it currently is on the cruises? Are they making you hand sanitizer?

I know that they are requiring proof of vaccination and wearing masks while inside the theater. Not sure about the hand sanitizer part, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. So in that regard, Broadway theaters are behaving very much like the cruise industry, and probably for the same reason -- they don't want a news story about an outbreak of anything besides massive applause on opening night of Dear Evan Hanson.

34 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

When you can go to indoor dining before your show, like a cruise, or go shopping in stores, like a cruise

That's not up to Broadway, that's NYC and Mayor DeBlasio's call. And the press will pick the negative angle whichever way he rolls, because if he's not choking the life out of the restaurant and hospitality industry then he's putting millions of New Yorkers' lives at risk. And if they figure out the right spin for it, he'll manage to do both at once.

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Actually that part was just added

Summary of Recent Changes

August 20, 2021

Updated the notice to recommend travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness avoid cruise ship travel, regardless of vaccination status.

My point is that the CDC has always considered cruising a high risk activity and warned people against cruising. Just like they warn people about not eating any meat that isn’t well done, or touching animals, etc etc. The CDC mandate on everything has always been over the top extremely cautious. They have been an organization mostly ignored by the general population as they had no actual control and simply provided guidance that has always been over the top cautious. 

Its only since the pandemic that their guidance has been listened to. Even the organization seemed surprised that people were following their guidance as witnessed when the CDC’s director seemed unaware that they were the sole reason the cruise industry was shut down when she was being questioned by the Alaskan senator.

There are two possibilities that are behind this announcement. 1. The CDC is in possession of information not released to the public. This may include trend data assembled from the myriad reports on infectious disease the cruise lines are required to report both within the scope of the CSO and outside of it. Confidential infectious disease data from other countries or agencies. 2. A continuation of their usually baseless hyper-conservative approach. I favor the former with a touch of the later. IOW, the announcement is probably not without basis - I do believe the estimated R(0) or how many people can one infected person infect and the unavoidable exponential growth attendant to Delta is higher than first expected. It's a precautionary measure consistent with the CDC's tendency to be hyper-cautious. 

I'm on day 20 of a B3B sailing W, E and S Caribbean itineraries. We have experienced 4 COVID positives - none of them  acquired aboard ship. One fully vaxed. If Celebrity Equinox, the ship I'm on, reflects cruise ship wide COVID experience - and I have no doubt that it does - unless something else the public isn't privy to is going on and it could be, this is the kind of public pressure/ media push to "do something" I've warned this group about. 

The pregnant question is what are line CEOs going to do with this latest CDC position in the way of PR damage control? 

The lines seem to have a good working relationship with the CDC. As much as I'd like them to slam the CDC. I think they'll let it slide figuring the news cycle will pass in its usual 4 days. The lines have enough to worry about than to open wounds with the CDC.

17 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Must be why they were so stingy with the bacon in Windjammer on our Adventure cruise. They were only giving out one at a time from a small stack and seemed hesitant to add more when requested.?

I know my kids are big bacon eaters, they never mentioned this “appearance of rationing” on Adventure.  I’ll have to ask.

Here's an interesting site with statistics comparing cruise ship infections for '20 vs '21.    Although early in the return to sail, 2021 is looking great compared to what happened in '20 when the world didn't know what's going on.   Tables are by year and highlight infection by line and ship.   Seems like the lines are on the right track.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/coronavirus

3 hours ago, Matt said:

The media doesn't understand this statement.

Ikr. I still frequently run into folks who insist that cruise ships are proverbial "floating petri dishes".

Of course, when I ask them if they've ever been on a cruise before and/or if they're familiar with the safety protocols onboard a ship, the answer is ALWAYS "No." ?

You have to remember you are speaking to the converted on this forum. The wider world out there sees things differently and how things are presented to them and for a great many cruises are on the black list. It's like (for example) trying to get a staunch Democrat to agree with even the worlds best policy if put forward by a Republican (or vice versa) or an antivaxer agreeing to get the jab even if 99% of the worlds doctors or scientists were to push it.

Social Media has only mad this worse.