Covid testing snafu creates public relations nightmare for Royal Caribbean in Galveston

I’m in several Royal groups on Facebook. General and ship specific. 

All I’m gonna say is there are A LOT of uninformed passengers out there because they haven’t bothered to visit the website and see what’s currently required. 

“Hi! I’m cruising Sunday. Do I need to be vaccinated?” 

“I’m Diamond Plus, are masks required?” 

These type questions are asked multiple times a day. I always suggest a visit to the website and recommend becoming VERY familiar with the protocols as people have been denied boarding. 

Ignorance is not an excuse. 

Royal sent out emails for Indy two weeks before she sailed.  The requirement to test was known even before Indy performed her CDC simulation cruise.  Somehow this couple didn't get the email AND their travel agent had never heard of these test requirements.  The account as written smells awfully fishy to me.

On the flip side Royal phone agents are well known to give out bad information.  

I had a cruise impacted when the 3 day test requirement was added for Florida sailings.  In my case I will be coming off another cruise line and won't be on land to get tested.  My first phone call was with an agent who recognized the issue and immediately offered to move my cruise without any fees.  I wasn't prepared on the spot to reschedule it, the call was to ask what my options were.  Shortly after I called back to move the cruise and the second phone agent told me I didn't need to test so I am good.  I knew that wasn't case so I informed him he was incorrect.  He was adamant so I told him to ask a supervisor.  Fifteen minutes later he agreed to move my cruise.  

If I wasn't fully informed I could have accepted his incorrect answer and I would have been standing at the pier watching the ship sail away like this couple did.  

Somewhere beyond the story as reported is the truth.  The truth rarely works in the news media so we'll likely never know what really happened to this couple.