Car Seats Required in Taxi's?

cwtom

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined....

We've gone on several cruises with our daughter, she's now 4 years old.  We did bring her lightweight car seat with us, used an independent transfer company from the airport to the port once.  They didn't even think twice about it and I really don't think they care either way seeing as how its defined as a livery type vehicle as mentioned before.  We just felt better about it and it wasn't much of an extra hassle to bring along the simple/lightweight carseat.  We rented a car earlier this year to make the trip from FLL to port of miami (one way rentals) so we did bring it along again but the car rental places will rent you a car seat along with the car for a small fee.

I am one of those crazy car seat people. Our normal car seat is probably 35 pounds, but i bought a $49 cosco scenera for travel only. It's 11 pounds and has great safety reviews. I also bought a generic car seat backpack to put it in.

I've easily paid for it many times over by not having to rent one from the car companies, it fits great on the airplane, and i know it's clean.

That being said, typically when we go to Disney, we don't rent a car and I'm not lugging the car seat in case we take a cab. We have been in a position where we took an Uber, and i baby wore her and put the seat belt under her butt (didn't want the force on her back if we were in a wreck). I was nervous but it turned out ok. Now that she's almost 2, if we found ourselves in that situation, I would probably put her in the middle with just the lap belt.

I am one of those crazy car seat people. Our normal car seat is probably 35 pounds, but i bought a $49 cosco scenera for travel only. It's 11 pounds and has great safety reviews. I also bought a generic car seat backpack to put it in.

I've easily paid for it many times over by not having to rent one from the car companies, it fits great on the airplane, and i know it's clean.

That being said, typically when we go to Disney, we don't rent a car and I'm not lugging the car seat in case we take a cab. We have been in a position where we took an Uber, and i baby wore her and put the seat belt under her butt (didn't want the force on her back if we were in a wreck). I was nervous but it turned out ok. Now that she's almost 2, if we found ourselves in that situation, I would probably put her in the middle with just the lap belt.

Totally respect your opinion and when at home, I would never dream of putting my kid in a car without a car seat.  However, when in Mexico or in a cruise port, I do what my parents did (and their parents did) and hold the kid on our lap.  Never in the front seat.