The Key is for sale on my sailing

The key is not offered on either of my Oasis sailings in Sept…but is available on the Oct sailings. However, purchasing it doesn’t guarantee I’ll get it. When the sail date gets closer, I’m sure they will re-evaluate the practicability of the Key as far as early boarding, lunch, carry on delivery…all the way through to breakfast and priority disembarkation at the end of the cruise. I think there is the possibility that a refund (or partial refund) may become necessary if the benefits purchased are eliminated or scaled back. Except, of course, for the internet. These are changing times….never know what’s going to happen.

I've gotten the Key before. The only benefit I got from it was the Chops Diner lunch.  In the theater, I like sitting out front, so I did not benefit from the reserved seating area for Key guests.   On port days, I'm usually with my "branded" (sticker) group for the shore excursion, so the priority disembarkation is not needed.

With all the changes to boarding times and the capacity not being full,  the Key benefits are not really key.

4 hours ago, DunwoodyDad said:

I’m not sure if this is news, but I’ve heard Matt say a few times recently that The Key is not for sale yet, but it is on my December 27 cruise on Freedom.  Trying to decide right now if it’s worth the extra $23 pp for my family of 6 right now… ?

I love the Key and have used it on 2 cruises pre-covid. If you are planning to buy wifi it totally makes sense to upgrade to the key. The priority boarding is obviously nice, the embarkation lunch at Chops was great. I think the best perks though are priority debarkation on port days (think about getting off first at Labadee or Perfect Day and having your choice of chairs). The reserved chairs at shows and special times for activities is also valuable. The debarkation breakfast and leisurely debarkation process was one of the best things we liked about the key. 

To answer the OP question imho the key is not worth it. Ships will be at limited capacity until at least Jan 2022 so the most pressing perks won't be available for use. The lunch may be a factor as well. But that price of  $23 works out to be $552 for a 4n cruise. I am sure internet on its on is cheaper.

7 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

The only benefit I got from it was the Chops Diner lunch.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

The lunch may be a factor as well.

Let me preface this by saying "Your mileage may vary".  The embarkation lunch I got from Chop's Grille as a Key guest on the Empress OTS was not very appealing.  I definitely did not enjoy the dried out steak and the wilted asparagus.  What a way to start a cruise, right?

424032786_KeyLunch.thumb.jpg.43de65eb443549d2b52a8dbc4acd0fc1.jpg

6 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

To answer the OP question imho the key is not worth it. Ships will be at limited capacity until at least Jan 2022 so the most pressing perks won't be available for use. The lunch may be a factor as well. But that price of  $23 works out to be $552 for a 4n cruise. I am sure internet on its on is cheaper.

Thanks and I’m definitely leaning away from it especially after seeing PGs lunch above and besides my family loves the Windjammer. One thing I wasn’t clear about is the $23 pp extra was compared to us getting internet packages for 6 devices for the cruise. So is the lunch (plus the priority stuff) worth the $138 for the 6 of us?  Im still not sold and would rather spend that on something else onboard. 

@DunwoodyDad That is $23 per person per day. You could buy a either a 4 device and a 2 device or a 3 and 3 device for 2 people and come out cheaper. Lets say the 4 device option is $36 a day and the 2 device is $23, that's like $190-ish for the entire cruise. As I stated for 4n and 6 people the Key would be over $500.

Pre-pandemic I would always purchase the Key. I usually sail solo, always get Voom, and loved the way that the program worked at Port Liberty and onboard the Anthem. I’ve learned that the experience may differ depending on port and ship. At Port Liberty, the Key was boarded immediately following suite class passengers (this was important for me as I wanted to make my dinner reservations right away…pre-purchased dinner packages don’t allow pre-boarding reservations) …and onboard the Anthem, Key disembarked immediately upon receiving clearance from port officials. We gathered at the excursion desks right across from the exit and were the first to leave. I knew I was first because the port workers/CBP would see me coming and scramble to get to their places! I was in my car and out of the garage in minutes. On embarkation, I liked dropping off my carry-on and having it delivered to my cabin…and I enjoyed the lunch at Chops. That’s all it used the Key for. I didn’t sit in Key member entertainment areas nor did I take advantage of Key times for activities. I rarely took advantage of early disembarkation at visited ports…although it worked well for tender ports.

I’ll wait and see how the program works in the future to determine if I purchase it again.