Because of the COVID situation, I added Medjet Horizon to my BlueGeo insurance

MrMarc

34 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

If I get stuck in a quarantine situation, I want to be able to get home.  BlueGeo will only evacuate if "Medically necessary", and being quarantined does not require evacuation back to the US.  MedJet will cover evacuation in almost any situation.  This is not an ad for either, just something to think about.

Do you know how much MedJet is? Does it work like travel insurance?

27 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Do you know how much MedJet is? Does it work like travel insurance?

It was $444 for a year for me.  But I just called them and was told they also would not transfer you unless you are hospitalized.  So I might have wasted my money.  They are having someone call me back tomorrow.  I'll let you know what they say.  I saw this: Hospital to Hospital Medical Transfer for member regardless of Medical Necessity, COVID-19 Info HERE" and made an assumption, it appears I could be wrong, so I do not know if it is providing anything more than my BlueGeo, which also includes medical insurance.  MedJet is only transportation and security services.

20 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

It was $444 for a year for me.  But I just called them and was told they also would not transfer you unless you are hospitalized.  So I might have wasted my money.  They are having someone call me back tomorrow.  I'll let you know what they say.  I saw this: Hospital to Hospital Medical Transfer for member regardless of Medical Necessity, COVID-19 Info HERE" and made an assumption, it appears I could be wrong, so I do not know if it is providing anything more than my BlueGeo, which also includes medical insurance.  MedJet is only transportation and security services.

Okay thanks. My health insurance already provides medical evacuation. 

10 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Okay thanks. My health insurance already provides medical evacuation. 

Mine too.  The office itself was closed, so they are going to have a rep call me tomorrow.  I can see how they may be interpreting what I read, and I can see how I interpreted it.  If I am wrong, I hope I can at least get my money back.  And if I am wrong, I cannot find anything that will evacuate you if you are not symptomatic except whatever Royal was selling for their Nassau cruises, which I do not know any way for the general public to get it.  But I will be trying to find out over the next few days.

The Medjet company only transfers (medical evacuation) hospital to hospital.  So it won’t transfer you if you’re just in quarantine and not in a hospital. 

One would assume you should be able to get your money back if just joined today or yesterday. Especially if you stated your start date of coverage as the the first day of your cruise. 

I actually enrolled in Medjet this year as a supplement to my travel insurance. The main reason is it covers med evac to a hospital of your choosing. So it’ll fly you to a hospital near your home instead of a hospital in Miami if you’re hospitalized in the Caribbean. 

Ok, they just confirmed that they will only evacuate if you are admitted to a hospital, but the evacuation does not have to be a medical necessity.  In other words, if you can convince them to admit you to a hospital,  they will evacuate you.   Since I've had a heart attack, I'm going to trust that I can convince them to admit me even if I'm not symptomatic and keep both policies.

Ok MrMarc.  That’ll work.
I actually have the 5 year plan w Medjet after purchasing annual membership with AARP for $12.  Saved hundreds of dollars on the family plan with Medjet. And if I can convince my wife, I would be cruising more frequently. 

Coincidently CNBC has an article today on med evac insurance with Covid international evacuation mainly with Covac global.  BUT that Covac global does NOT cover cruising. that’s a non starter. 

Ok.  I contacted them.  It is only if you are hospitalized, but the transfer once you are hospitalized does not have to be medically necessary.  In other words, even if that hospital feels they can treat you without a transfer, you can choose to be transferred to a US Hospital.  Considering I have a heart condition, I think I would probably be hospitalized if I were COVID positive, even without additional symptoms.  If so, then their transfer would kick in, so I may keep both to have a belt and suspenders so to speak.  Besides, if I spend that much on insurance, I can be pretty sure I will never need it.