Bahamas banning cruise ships w/anyone 12+ not vaccinated

Well tonight I am feeling like giving up on cruising with my family for a couple years more. That hurts to say because we love it so much! I think I should cancel my November 21st cruise because I'm flying across the country from washington state and there are too many risks that we won't be able to sail. $2500 for airfare alone, hotel accomodations ect... What if my 5 or 10 year old gets covid? what if they change to not allow anyone unvaxxed? Variants.. Last minute restrictions .... Why stress myself out trying to go on vacation..... not worth it...  ??

Feeling defeated tonight

1 hour ago, JasonL said:

Well tonight I am feeling like giving up on cruising with my family for a couple years more. That hurts to say because we love it so much! I think I should cancel my November 21st cruise because I'm flying across the country from washington state and there are too many risks that we won't be able to sail. $2500 for airfare alone, hotel accomodations ect... What if my 5 or 10 year old gets covid? what if they change to not allow anyone unvaxxed? Variants.. Last minute restrictions .... Why stress myself out trying to go on vacation..... not worth it...  ??

Feeling defeated tonight

Maybe the timing wasn't quite right, but you really should've done Alaska. Avoiding the flight and that commitment ends up putting the rest of it on pretty safe ground. If any of you tested positive before sailing, Royal would handle refunding everything, and you'd basically have been local anyway so no or at least far less exposure in airfare costs, too. I suppose warm vs cold might've entered into it, but there's just awesome things along Alaska's sailing route to do, too.

5 hours ago, Bruce said:

What if you have had covids ? You dont need to have the shots. Most doctors tell you not to get them.

Most Doctors? I currently work in a hospital in Sydney so not a great expert but my brother is a Doctor working in University Hospital San Antonio. He reports twice as many re infections than vaccinated in ICU. Now consider how many people have had Covid against how many vaccinated. MOST of mine and his colleagues do not give the advice you are stating as truth.

16 hours ago, dswallow said:

It would appear there are just 5 of 69 sailings departing before November 1 and not back in port before September 3 from Florida ports that don't visit a port in The Bahamas between September 3 and November 1.

Odyssey, 10/23/2021, from Ft. Lauderdale, 8 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Serenade, 10/25/2021, from Tampa, 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Serenade, 10/30/2021, from Tampa, 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Symphony, 10/30/2021, from Miami, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Odyssey, 10/31/2021, from Ft. Lauderdale, 6 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises

There are 9 more sailings from Florida ports that aren't affected by this protocol change because they end before September 3.

That Symphony on 10/30 goes to CocoCay and st thomas

FD490571-3FED-4E9A-9FC3-0C5FD8ADDE24.png

22 minutes ago, Jill said:

That Symphony on 10/30 goes to CocoCay and st thomas

FD490571-3FED-4E9A-9FC3-0C5FD8ADDE24.png

True. But my post said it didn't visit The Bahamas during the affected time period in which the Bahamas requires ships visiting ports to have all passengers 12 and older be vaccinated. It visits CocoCay on 11/5.

Got a Royal Email about the updated Vax requirements. It had a click here to provide Vax Status.  Royal IT does it again.  We are vax'ed and have no issue declaring it.  I start entering my data and got to my birthday.  A calendar drop down appears.  Since I wasn't born today, I had to scroll through 744 months to get to my date.  Wow. No other way to get there.  I wonder if they actually test their app/change prior to fielding it.  ?

3 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

Got a Royal Email about the updated Vax requirements. It had a click here to provide Vax Status.  Royal IT does it again.  We are vax'ed and have no issue declaring it.  I start entering my data and got to my birthday.  A calendar drop down appears.  Since I wasn't born today, I had to scroll through 744 months to get to my date.  Wow. No other way to get there.  I wonder if they actually test their app/change prior to fielding it.  ?

Or you could just type in the date and it changed.  At least that is how it worked for me, if you used the calendar then yes you would have to go through each month.

17 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Or you could just type in the date and it changed.  At least that is how it worked for me, if you used the calendar then yes you would have to go through each month.

Varies by platform.  On mobile you can't enter a specific date but at least on Apple devices you can give the year a big flick like you are spinning a wheel and get back a few decades pretty quickly.  

7 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

I start entering my data and got to my birthday.  A calendar drop down appears.  Since I wasn't born today, I had to scroll through 744 months to get to my date.  Wow. No other way to get there.  I wonder if they actually test their app/change prior to fielding it.  ?

I thought that I'd have to do this, too.  Then I figured out that if I just clicked on the YEAR at the top (not the  month or the date, just the  year), it would change the year.  Then I only had a few months to click through.  Sorry you ended up going through all of that.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, dswallow said:

Maybe the timing wasn't quite right, but you really should've done Alaska. Avoiding the flight and that commitment ends up putting the rest of it on pretty safe ground. If any of you tested positive before sailing, Royal would handle refunding everything, and you'd basically have been local anyway so no or at least far less exposure in airfare costs, too. I suppose warm vs cold might've entered into it, but there's just awesome things along Alaska's sailing route to do, too.

This has been in the works for years, as we booked it as soon as they went on sale. The wife and I are doing alaska in June, we will go on this sailing. Although we could bring the kids to Alaska, it's far less exciting to them than Coco Cay. Besides it's the policy changes and the uncertain ones to come that make cruising WITH KIDS very hard to plan. 

On 8/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, JasonL said:

Feeling defeated tonight

I know of others with the same angst.   It's a great family vacation, but with the ever shifting requirements, and continued test requirements, a trip with the kiddos has a lot of new failure modes to tamp down (many outside your control).   We figured we can't re- start bringing the grandkids until '23.   Just too much of a hassle.   

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

a trip with the kiddos has a lot of new failure modes to tamp down (many outside your control).  

I'm in general agreement with you @cruisellama. OTH, one should be cognizant of the exceedingly low risk of an unvaccinated child under 12 becoming infected with SARS2 and subsequently testing positive on an antigen test. 

I posted elsewhere that the calculated risk of that happening is quite low. This is especially true if you follow the most basic mitigation measures. It is certainly a personal risk/benefit assessment.

Also keep in mind that RCL has gone to great lengths to protect your financial interests with various protocols to do that should you be unable to bard secondary to a positive COVID test. You could be putting airfare and accommodations at risk. Either insure that risk with an appropriate travel insurance policy or buy refundable air.  

8 hours ago, JeffB said:

Also keep in mind that RCL has gone to great lengths to protect your financial interests with various protocols to do that should you be unable to bard secondary to a positive COVID test. You could be putting airfare and accommodations at risk. Either insure that risk with an appropriate travel insurance policy or buy refundable air.  

I agree. I believe travel insurance is one of the most important things to have if you are traveling, especially during a pandemic. A good, solid policy with expanded medical and repatriation coverage along with a Covid-specific endorsement.