Secret Menu!?

ClockingOut

I was reading Royal Caribbean Blog's newest blog and had never heard of a secret menu in the MDR. Has anyone ever done this before? If so, what was on the menu? I got excited when I read there was Indian food. My dad is picky and sometimes struggles in the MDR but he loves Indian food so I am very intrigued by this option. I am interested to hear if @Matt and Jenna try the secret menu on their upcoming sailing.

A couple of years back our waiter said that there are actually two Indian menus (meat and meatless) nightly on all ships.  This was in response to the rise of middle class Indians cruising on Royal and requesting local dishes in the MDR.

There was definitely a real, printed Indian menu in the MDR when we were in the Mediterranean (summer of 2019).  It was at our table and wasn’t the big bulky menu you usually see in the MDR. When we asked our waiter about it he said it was usually only given out to the passengers who are Indian, but available to anyone who was interested. I told him to keep bringing it to our table every night since I love Indian food. 

There was also a native Italian menu that had dishes like Cacio e Pepe in addition to the MDR Italian staples. 

I wasn’t sure if these were a function of sailing from Italy, but would love to know if others have seen these for US based sailings. 

Not sure how this would fly in the MDR, but it worked at Hooked (with some advanced notice). You can make your own dishes based upon available ingredients throughout the ship.

For example on my sailing last week, I was going to be at Hooked for dinner but am allergic to shellfish, effectively eliminating 80+ percent of the menu. At lunch in Coastal Kitchen, my server there was going to be the one at Hooked later that night. He said I could pick whatever fish they had available at any restaurant and also whatever side. So I had 2 halibut filets (think I saw it on the Solarium bistro menu) over a bed of celery root (was a base of a dish in Wonderland). It came out exactly how I envisioned and was so good I ordered it to room service 2 nights later.

Don’t be afraid to ask your waiters to go beyond what is on the menu! Everyone is very helpful and super excited to be sailing again so they really go insanely out of their way to provide great service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, 4ensic said:

A couple of years back our waiter said that there are actually two Indian menus (meat and meatless) nightly on all ships.  This was in response to the rise of middle class Indians cruising on Royal and requesting local dishes in the MDR.

Middle class? Is there a lower class that doesn't want to cruise? Sorry, being Karen like. This just didn't sound right to me