Alaska pre-planning question...

28 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

We have an OS-2bdr #1054 for our Southbound next July. My son and his buddy will be sharing the 2nd bedroom. We had a one-bedroom OS last time we sailed Alaska southbound. It was okay, but honestly, I asked myself why I didn't book a GS instead. There wasn't much difference (other than the bidet) between the OS and GS on Radiance. We like to have privacy for everyone in our group, especially nonfamily when we travel. So the OS-2bdr4 was a no-brainer.

I considered the GS on Deck 10 with the JS next door.  But after watching several videos, it doesn't look like the divider opens, so that's not going to work for me.  Watching from the balcony is something we want to do as a family so that divider in the way is a big no.  Assuming it's going to be Radiance class again in 2023, the aft OTs are best suited for "what I need", and the family as a whole.  But like I said, the only thing I cannot tell is if there is a difference in the size of the balconies because there are aft OTs on Deck 7, 8, and 9.  On cruisedeckplans, it says, "Cabin size ranges from 533 to 586 square feet plus 139 to 196 square foot balcony" but no indication as to which is which.

50 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have 7672 booked on Jewel for our August 19, 2022 12 night British Isles Cruise so if we are able to go (protocols, ya know....) I will let you know how it is !!  I guess that's probably too late, isn't it ? 

Yeah, I am guessing that I will book when new 2023 itineraries come out this fall/winter.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Funny you mention that because that is where I am torn.  I like the itineraries from Vancouver much more, but I really want to explore Seattle.  We've been to Vancouver several times already and I doubt we would be bored, but Seattle would be brand new.  I saw the hot tub boat on your story, it looked "interesting" lol

I had never seen anything like it! It was a fun way to see the space needle and we were on the same lake as the houseboat from Sleepless in Seattle! I added some photos unless anyone is interested!44A12254-C22C-4658-B717-0839B0D95F98.thumb.jpeg.b0090e06c69269612320760ff1bec4c8.jpeg6B758E66-D5FD-4E46-8C58-4F3CAE2C040E.thumb.jpeg.a85079d0ff524dcc9309c734c60de13d.jpeg

We are going the end of September on Ovation OTS and looking at Matt's latest posting I cannot wait to see (hopefully) the Northern Lights as he said September is the best time during the Alaska cruise season for this. Have been all over the world but this is one of the things that I have not experienced. Swapped my snorkel gear for my big camera. Hoping we will pass the Covid testing again and enjoy the scenery and wildlife along the way. Hopefully that will be outside the ship and not inside.?

21 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

We are going the end of September on Ovation OTS and looking at Matt's latest posting I cannot wait to see (hopefully) the Northern Lights as he said September is the best time during the Alaska cruise season for this. Have been all over the world but this is one of the things that I have not experienced. Swapped my snorkel gear for my big camera. Hoping we will pass the Covid testing again and enjoy the scenery and wildlife along the way. Hopefully that will be outside the ship and not inside.?

I was on the Ovation in early September 2019.  I too was looking out for the Northern Lights one night. I gave up around midnight (Alaska Time) because my Floridian body clock was telling me it was 4AM.  The next day, the lady next to me on the excursion shuttle was showing pictures she had taken of the Northern Lights the night before.  I had gone to bed one hour too early... (shaking my head)

1 hour ago, PG Cruiser said:

If one were to choose between May and September (the shoulder seasons), which would be better?

If I had flexibility (which I don't due to teaching and school schedules for the kids), I would pick September.  Mainly for lower prices (possibly) and the Northern Lights that others have mentioned.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with July/August for now and then if we like it, we'll head back again in September once I retire.  

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If I had flexibility (which I don't due to teaching and school schedules for the kids), I would pick September.  Mainly for lower prices (possibly) and the Northern Lights that others have mentioned.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with July/August for now and then if we like it, we'll head back again in September once I retire.  

The reason I ask is because I've already done a September cruise.  I was wondering if May might be better.  

5 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

The reason I ask is because I've already done a September cruise.  I was wondering if May might be better.  

We love May for cruising Alaska!  The daylight hours are very, very long.  The weather can be iffy at any time for AK, but we have had sunny days except for one in May.  We are booked for late May next year again.   ?

Also, late May, the weather was in the 70s when we went. 

17 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Since this thread is about Alaska pre-planning, I'd like to ask about timing an Alaskan cruise.  If one were to choose between May and September (the shoulder seasons), which would be better?  What are the pros and cons of each option?

We’ve picked the end of May into early June for 2022. It’s a graduation present for our youngest and the main reason was in the event she gets a job after graduation, hoping to get this trip in before she starts “adulting.” 

I checked a few weather apps daily for that week this past May/June to get an idea of what to possibly expect. That particular week this past year was pretty rainy with temps in mid to high 50’s. So basically a Florida winter lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

Time to resurrect an old topic because I did it.  I booked an Alaska 7 day northbound cruise for next June.  I even called Air2Sea and reserved my flight.

Does anyone know of any good, reasonably priced, hotels in Vancouver, Seward, and Anchorage?

My plan is to fly to Vancouver the day before and pretty much just chill to adjust to the time change and long flight.  Then go to the cruise port the next morning.

Once in Seward, I want to spend a day checking out the national park and then take the train to Anchorage.  In Anchorage, we would arrive pretty late (after 11pm), check in to our hotel, wake up the next morning for an 8:30am flight home.