Alaska pre-planning question...

So...I know some of you will laugh at me for this after proclaiming up and down that (already coming from too much cold weather) I have no desire to sail Alaska. However, I will be the first to admit that I can be wrong (sometimes lol), and it might be in our 2023 summer plans.

I totally blame two things for this recent turn of events, one being our recent trip through the Rockies (turns out Hubby really likes mountains/waterfalls/creeks), and the recent pics and stories posted by @Cruising With JT, and @l9dance. And looking back through old @twangster blogs, I can admit that I see things in a different light now. I still don't feel a burning desire, but a cruise to Alaska is a decent compromise for Hubby and I. He gets his outdoor piece, and I get my cruise.  Also, we would have our two teenage girls with us on this one.

Here are my preliminary questions for the group, I am sure I will have more as time goes on.

1. Sail from Seattle or Vancouver? Flights are not a factor. I can fly from DTW or Toronto. Non issue. I am assuming the world will be in a better place by 2023 and border closures are a distant memory. We more or less want to know which embarkation port gives us better itineraries. (Edit: thinking of mainly RT itineraries this time around)

2. Getting a balcony is an obvious yes for us, but side balcony or aft?

And yes, before anyone points it out, I am fully aware there may not be a CK available! lol

I recommend the one way cruises that end or start in Seward. More of Alaska is seen and no retracing back to Seattle. The ships that currently do this are not Quantum class. So big decision between ship newness vs quantity of Alaska seen. My family enjoyed a day in Anchorage and if additional time is available I have heard great things about Denali park.

I gotta vote for the southbound/northbound route. Yes, smaller older ships but if you think this will be your one and only trip to Alaska, go big or go home and that includes doing a land tour to Denali. 

The only reason I’d consider the RT on a quantum class is that the teens would probably enjoy the ship more than a vision class. However, this is a port intensive trip and in my opinion the ship is more so the means to get me to each port. 

The smaller ships can also get into places the bigger ones can’t. 

Plus…….you can take the glass top train from anchorage to Seward and that’s a must do! 

50 minutes ago, Jill said:

I gotta vote for the southbound/northbound route. Yes, smaller older ships but if you think this will be your one and only trip to Alaska, go big or go home and that includes doing a land tour to Denali. 

The only reason I’d consider the RT on a quantum class is that the teens would probably enjoy the ship more than a vision class. However, this is a port intensive trip and in my opinion the ship is more so the means to get me to each port. 

The smaller ships can also get into places the bigger ones can’t. 

Plus…….you can take the glass top train from anchorage to Seward and that’s a must do! 

I agree with @Jill.  I've done both one way and round trip.  There's just no comparison.  Do the one way and spend a few extra days in Alaska.  Some things you should not miss while there:

Kenai Fjords National Park in Seward

Alaska railroad.

If you have time, do a cruise tour that includes Denali

Other than 2021 with ATRA bypassing Canada, in a normal year SEA has Quantum class while YVR (Vancouver) has Radiance class.

The original plan for 2021 and the plan that remains for 2022 is Radiance doing the one-way North/South and Serenade doing YVR round trip.

I'm a big fan of the one way and have done it twice.  That being said when Serenade was added for the 2021 season she had double glaciers on some dates visiting Endicott Arm, Tracy Arm and/or Hubbard Glacier in various combinations.  Those double glacier itineraries are very compelling.  

While I do agree with the others that one way (southbound for us) is our favorite way to cruise Alaska, if I had to choose between Seattle and Vancouver, I would choose Vancouver.  Vancouver is such a cool city, with so many wonderful things to do before or after a cruise.  I prefer the airport there over SEA as well.

We are cruising from Seattle next year ourselves (hopefully!!!) only because we are taking two seniors with us, and we wanted one direct flight each way for them.  We can't do that with Vancouver, and I really don't want to wear them out with the travel to/from.  Compound that with the viewing from the Solarium and 270 on the Quantum class, and Seattle just works best for them.  If it wasn't for that, we would sail from Vancouver roundtrip, or better yet, from Seward southbound to Vancouver.   ?

47 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

While I do agree with the others that one way (southbound for us) is our favorite way to cruise Alaska, if I had to choose between Seattle and Vancouver, I would choose Vancouver.  Vancouver is such a cool city, with so many wonderful things to do before or after a cruise.  I prefer the airport there over SEA as well.

We are cruising from Seattle next year ourselves (hopefully!!!) only because we are taking two seniors with us, and we wanted one direct flight each way for them.  We can't do that with Vancouver, and I really don't want to wear them out with the travel to/from.  Compound that with the viewing from the Solarium and 270 on the Quantum class, and Seattle just works best for them.  If it wasn't for that, we would sail from Vancouver, or better yet, from Seward southbound.   ?

The Seward cruises end in Vancouver or start in Vancouver and end in Seward.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

However, this is a port intensive trip and in my opinion the ship is more so the means to get me to each port. 

Totally agree.  I have already accepted the fact that "if" we sail this one, it will likely be on a smaller ship.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Who are you and what have you done with @Lovetocruise2002?

I swear, being stuck in dry dock for so long is making me crazy! ?

2 hours ago, steverk said:

I agree with @Jill.  I've done both one way and round trip.  There's just no comparison.  Do the one way and spend a few extra days in Alaska.

I will keep this in mind for sure moving forward but with the kids, and this being our first (but probably not only) Alaskan cruise, I'm not sure I want to spend that much time there.  It is a compromise after all, still not an outdoor person at heart.  But Hubby and one of my girls are so, you know.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Those double glacier itineraries are very compelling.  

Agreed.  That is why I am leaning towards RT YVR if they keep those same itineraries for 2023.

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

Man, this thread has given me a lot to think about, so thanks for creating it, and of course, thanks for the folks in the know for weighing in! I'm now rethinking my Alaska plans and possibly going for a shorter cruise on a Radiance-class than the longer cruise on the Quantum-class.

I am not responsible if @Chadsterbooks another cruise!

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

Vancouver is such a cool city, with so many wonderful things to do before or after a cruise. 

And I can spend Canadian dollars there pre-cruise so another win! lol

Recommend southbound out of Seward.  Land tour should at least be considered.   If not, go early.  We love Anchorage (my birth place), Alyeska,  Talkeetna (the deck of the lodge is still one of our favorite cruise memories)  and Denali.   Foodie comments..   Anchorage..  Jen's Restaurant for dinner and Snow City Cafe for breakfast.  Alyeska - Seven Glaciers Restaurant (reservation recommended).  Talkeetna- eat at the lodge with views of Denali as the background (halibut chunks?).  In Juneau,  we did the Bike and Brew and loved it.  On the way back, Red Dog Saloon was great (Duck Fart anyone? ?).  I am full of Jealousy.   

I've done two trips through Alaska, and both were loop trips.  My next one is definitely going to be a southbound out of Seward.  I really love all the ports and glaciers seen on that cruise.  I think that both Seattle and Vancouver have wonderful sightseeing options for before or after your trip.  Both are really fun cities.  @Bob_KY I also did the Bike and Brew excursion and had a great time, but what I really want to know is what is in that Duck Fart Shot?

First, Alaska is majestic, from the mountains to the glaciers, there's a lot to see and do. If you have time, try to add a land trip(Denali) as well as a cruise.

Second, Vancouver and Seattle both offer options for pre or post cruise.  I would choose based on the cruise itinerary.

For us, aft balcony always wins out, however you won't be spending as much time outside when sailing as it is definitely cooler up north.

We have been to Alaska 3 times on 7, 14, and 17 day sailings. Enjoyed them all. We leave next week on the Ovation for a 7 day to Alaska. Can't wait to get back on the water.

Hi @Lovetocruise2002 Thanks for following along my social media posts on Instagram and Facebook, and now uploading videos on YouTube slowly but surely! Just seeing this thread now returning from Ovation of the Seas yesterday from Alaska, and going back again next Friday 8/27 ? I'm a bit bias towards leaving out of beautiful Seattle and doing the Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier experience. The sailing into Dawes Glacier might even be better than the Glacier itself. Ovation stays pretty far from the Dawes Glacier so you really have no chance of experiencing any "calving"... I think Glacier Bay national park is the place to go if you want to see that, which unfortunately Royal Caribbean does not go to at this time, which is why I booked Norwegian Encore in October -- yes 3 times to Alaska in 2 months seems nuts but I live in Seattle and I am okay with driving 1 hour to port and going on a cruise to beautiful Alaska.

Norwegian Encore does Glacier Bay later this season so I'd recommend that itinerary if you really want to see Glaciers, but Ovation of the Seas hands down is the nicer ship. I am not familiar with the itineraries for northbound/southbound but those little ships don't interest me, I need something big and has a lot to offer, as I am sure your children will want as well. I recommend Ovation/Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier out of Seattle OR Norwegian Encore/Glacier Bay national park out of Seattle. Side balcony was good for me but can't go wrong with that aft view...if you want peace and quiet though, the aft is much louder due to the sounds of the wake... Hope that helps!

An Alaska Cruise is my hope in the sometime future so I've done a little research. And while I can't speak to the direct experience on what has been addressed, I would like to say what I've heard others speak of regarding balconies.

If either of you (Possibly your hubby since he's a mountains/streams guy already) like wildlife, get a balcony that faces towards Canada and Alaska.  I've heard on a RT or NB trip, take a starboard.  Southbound a Port side.  Let him sit out there with binoculars while you stay inside where it's warm!

On 8/20/2021 at 12:08 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am going to have to find that place just to try that drink lol

You can't miss it.  The Red Dog Saloon is one of the more prominent buildings in Juneau (because it's pretty bordello-looking and there are a zillion people in and out of it's swinging doors), and you pretty much pass it if you're going to walk into town at all.  We walked in once, and just turned around and left - just not our thing, but it's super popular.  We tend to walk just a little farther into town, past all of the Diamond Internationals, and sit at the Alaskan Hotel bar.  We're usually one of just a few tourists in the place, so talking to locals is pretty fun.  Mr. SpeedNoodles did nearly get mugged outside of it once, though, but that happens everywhere, right?

On 8/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am not responsible if @Chadsterbooks another cruise!

Okay, so you're not responsible...you were actually helpful -- as was everybody in this thread. The 7-night multi-glacier trip aboard Serenade in May 2022 checks even more boxes than my previously planned 8-day trip...so I'm even more excited now. ?

11 hours ago, Cruising With JT said:

doing the Endicott Arm/Dawes Glacier experience. The sailing into Dawes Glacier might even be better than the Glacier itself.

That is what I have read across multiple sites as well.  If we do this in 2023, I'm going to try to find an itinerary that is multi-glacier with Dawes as one of them.

11 hours ago, Cruising With JT said:

I need something big and has a lot to offer, as I am sure your children will want as well.

With the kids, we have gone on a lot of "big" ships.  They will be 15 and 17 by 2023 and it's probably time they see a "small ship".  Besides, like many have pointed out, the small ships can do itineraries that the larger ships cannot so unless a big ship is our only option, I have already accepted the fact that there won't be a Coastal Kitchen lol

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is what I have read across multiple sites as well.  If we do this in 2023, I'm going to try to find an itinerary that is multi-glacier with Dawes as one of them.

With the kids, we have gone on a lot of "big" ships.  They will be 15 and 17 by 2023 and it's probably time they see a "small ship".  Besides, like many have pointed out, the small ships can do itineraries that the larger ships cannot so unless a big ship is our only option, I have already accepted the fact that there won't be a Coastal Kitchen lol

Haha, well Ovation of the Seas has a CK so maybe that sways your decision ?

Sounds good regarding ships, you will have fun no matter what. Definitely try to get multiple glaciers if you can!

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Did you hear that @Matt?  I am not responsible for this one! ?

If Serenade does those same multi-glacier itineraries the following year, that is what I most likely will end up on too.

That's what I'm doing next year - the multi-glacier on Serenade!

@Lovetocruise2002thank you for the shout out! Marc and I always said we would do Alaska much later in life but the pandemic also gave us both a new appreciation for the outdoors as well. We went with Ovation because we were still a little on the fence about Alaska but wanted to give it a shot and wanted to also explore Seattle, both did not disappoint! I knew Ovation was going to be an amazing ship so that already felt like a win but I have to say I was blown away by the beauty of even just sailing in the inside passage alone. I knew we would see wildlife but I was truly blown away to see both Orcas and humpbacks right off the ship! We had a side balcony and it was wonderful, i am sure an aft would be even better! We found ourselves spending hours sitting in 270 with a spiked hot chocolate because the views were truly out of this world. If we do Alaska again I think I would want to do a southbound but what I will say was a highlight for us was the pre and post cruise time in Seattle! We spent 1 day prior and 2 days on the back half and I can honestly say it was one of my favorite big city trips to date. The last day of the trip we did a wine tasting tour in Woodenville and it was a blast! We also rented a hot tub boat in Lake Union and that was on of the most fun things I think we have ever done, the boat is operated by joy stick so you kind of feel like you are driving a toy boat. I could have spent another week there alone doing more wine tasting and exploring the National parks around Seattle. 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Did you hear that @Matt?  I am not responsible for this one! ?

If Serenade does those same multi-glacier itineraries the following year, that is what I most likely will end up on too.

So to help you narrow down your aft suite (cause I know you want a suite lol) check out 8668 (2 bdrm corner) 9656 (2 bdrm corner) 1100 (corner aft JS), 1602 (JS) and the mother load: 1600 corner grand suite) 

We’ve got 1100 booked on Radiance next May for Southbound. Super excited as the balcony is really big. 

As you probably already know, 2023 Alaska will be released sometime in November. Keep the credit card easily accessible as those cabins listed above go speedy quick. ?

Glacier Bay is awesome.   I was on Princess in 2011.  The inside passage was also great.  Skagway was my favorite port.  Ketchikan was not so great.   I am heading out Friday-assuming a negative covid test tomorrow on ovation.  Chose this for ship, Skagway and inside passage.  

gping with friends because my husband does not want to go again.  He got “tired of all the pretty scenery”

4 hours ago, l9dance said:

We went with Ovation because we were still a little on the fence about Alaska but wanted to give it a shot and wanted to also explore Seattle, both did not disappoint!

Funny you mention that because that is where I am torn.  I like the itineraries from Vancouver much more, but I really want to explore Seattle.  We've been to Vancouver several times already and I doubt we would be bored, but Seattle would be brand new.  I saw the hot tub boat on your story, it looked "interesting" lol

42 minutes ago, Jill said:

So to help you narrow down your aft suite (cause I know you want a suite lol) check out 8668 (2 bdrm corner) 9656 (2 bdrm corner) 1100 (corner aft JS), 1602 (JS) and the mother load: 1600 corner grand suite) 

Thanks! lol  I'm pretty sure I want the aft 2 bedroom OS.  The only thing I am not sure about is if those balconies are all the same size between Deck 7-9.  Hard to tell from the deck plans and cruisedeckplans doesn't have any detailed info on the different decks, but it almost looks like Deck 9 has the largest balcony.  If anyone has any info on balcony size on the 2 Bedroom aft Owner's suites on Radiance class, I would love to hear it!

On 8/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So...I know some of you will laugh at me for this after proclaiming up and down that (already coming from too much cold weather) I have no desire to sail Alaska. However, I will be the first to admit that I can be wrong (sometimes lol), and it might be in our 2023 summer plans.

I totally blame two things for this recent turn of events, one being our recent trip through the Rockies (turns out Hubby really likes mountains/waterfalls/creeks), and the recent pics and stories posted by @Cruising With JT, and @l9dance. And looking back through old @twangster blogs, I can admit that I see things in a different light now. I still don't feel a burning desire, but a cruise to Alaska is a decent compromise for Hubby and I. He gets his outdoor piece, and I get my cruise.  Also, we would have our two teenage girls with us on this one.

Here are my preliminary questions for the group, I am sure I will have more as time goes on.

1. Sail from Seattle or Vancouver? Flights are not a factor. I can fly from DTW or Toronto. Non issue. I am assuming the world will be in a better place by 2023 and border closures are a distant memory. We more or less want to know which embarkation port gives us better itineraries. (Edit: thinking of mainly RT itineraries this time around)

2. Getting a balcony is an obvious yes for us, but side balcony or aft?

And yes, before anyone points it out, I am fully aware there may not be a CK available! lol

Depending upon where you live in Canada, you may already be in a similar topographical setting (so I understand your comment).   But it really is a great cruise route.   We've done it 3x with different itineraries and now prefer the 1 way, with a land tour through Denali.  The train is a great way to see the sites, while relaxing with your favorite beverage an a meal.   Plus you have the opportunities for viewing all sorts of great marine animals and eat some of them (salmon, halibut).  Balcony is a must, side depends on how you sail  RT doesn't matter, 1 way you'll want to select where you can best see nature.  Highly recommend, you're probably already acclimated to the weather.

29 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Funny you mention that because that is where I am torn.  I like the itineraries from Vancouver much more, but I really want to explore Seattle.  We've been to Vancouver several times already and I doubt we would be bored, but Seattle would be brand new.  I saw the hot tub boat on your story, it looked "interesting" lol

Thanks! lol  I'm pretty sure I want the aft 2 bedroom OS.  The only thing I am not sure about is if those balconies are all the same size between Deck 7-9.  Hard to tell from the deck plans and cruisedeckplans doesn't have any detailed info on the different decks, but it almost looks like Deck 9 has the largest balcony.  If anyone has any info on balcony size on the 2 Bedroom aft Owner's suites on Radiance class, I would love to hear it!

So if you want to see Seattle, do a southbound out of Seward, then drive from Vancouver to Seattle! Problem solved! 

39 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If anyone has any info on balcony size on the 2 Bedroom aft Owner's suites on Radiance class, I would love to hear it!

We have 7672 booked on Jewel for our August 19, 2022 12 night British Isles Cruise so if we are able to go (protocols, ya know....) I will let you know how it is !!  I guess that's probably too late, isn't it ?  Oh well...you can let ME know how it is !!

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have an OS-2bdr #1054 for our Southbound next July. My son and his buddy will be sharing the 2nd bedroom. We had a one-bedroom OS last time we sailed Alaska southbound. It was okay, but honestly, I asked myself why I didn't book a GS instead. There wasn't much difference (other than the bidet) between the OS and GS on Radiance. We like to have privacy for everyone in our group, especially nonfamily when we travel. So the OS-2bdr4 was a no-brainer.