Chankanaab Dolphin/Manatee

TheresaB

I am looking for someone who has done the dolphin VIP excursion at Chankanaab  (Yes, I fully understand there are a ton of opinions about dolphins in captivity)  Anyway, in the description it says there is a brief manatee encounter.  I am wondering, for those of you who have done this excursion did the photographer take any photos of you with the mantee for your photo package.  

Also for those of you who have purchased the photo package, how much did you end up paying and how many images did you leave with.  We have a family of 7 and are all first time cruisers so I know we will want the photos!

TIA

We did the VIP excursion at Chankanaab on out last liberty cruise. We had a good time. The manatee encounter is brief. You are standing on a platform and the manatee swims around while the keepers feed it lettuce and you can touch its back. I believe that the photographer took pictures. As far as the photo package, it was in the undreds of dollars and was not worth it to us. For a ball park price, on their website booking tickets on your own, adding the photo package was $50 per person for 10 pictures

On 8/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, DanielleB said:

Hello, can you tell me if you feel this excursion was worth the price.  My kids are really interested in swimming with dolphins and there are too many to choose from.  

@DanielleB Welcome to the blogs. I don't exactly remember what I paid. I do know that we had a great time and that's all that really matters to me. The higher the price, the more "interactions" that you have with the dolphins, so if the kids are really interested in doing this, I would pull the trigger and go for it. When we were there, we had a lot of fun with the dolphins etc, the food was good, drinks were decent and then went snorkeling after so it was a good day. 

The one piece of advice that I have regarding dolphin excursions is this:  if it is titled "dolphin encounter" it is more than likely NOT a swimming with dolphins event.  That usually is a meet and greet/pet kind of event.  If the word "swim" is in the title then it is probably a real swimming with dolphins activity.  You can usually tell by the price, too.  Swimming in the water with the dolphins is generally more expensive than just "encountering" them.