Casita's Are On Sale

Book them while you can...

113261861_ScreenShot2021-08-18at11_07_27AM.thumb.jpg.5513809ad59cc238f538d48ae133e8f8.jpg

232438206_ScreenShot2021-08-18at11_07_43AM.thumb.jpg.ccabdd31e83d476af27e9db98edfc4aa.jpg

Nothing says vacation mode like spending the day on the pool deck soaking up the scene. Choose from a poolside or ocean view casita, where you’re just steps from all the action as you relax in the shade. Your casita is the ultimate retreat between dunks in the pool and soaking up the sun. And everything you need is already there — like towels, a cooler, storage for your belongings and a charging outlet. We’ll make sure you stay refreshed with two complimentary Welcome Drinks and four chilled waters. And dedicated service always on standby so you can enjoy your fave poolside drinks, brought to you with the touch of a button.

Space is limited and may sell out, so be sure to book before your cruise!

Day 1 of your sailing: you will receive a letter in your stateroom with instructions for reserving your casita. Casita location selection is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

It saddens me to see that there are fees for what was once free-on select sailings-such as North Star.
Now to see that they are considering charging for casitas (I've never seen them yet).....

I know I was in the category of "scrapping the nickels" to take my kids on a cruise.
It's now like Disney with the "pay extra to skip the lines".
Only those with money can truly enjoy the luxuries, the rest will have to settle for the leftovers.  I wish there was another way.

yes, I get  why they do it-because they can!  And I am fortunate that I can afford to take my family on a cruise every few years, so I DO count my blessings.

13 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

As far as the casitas go, there are so few and people snag them so early and then hang onto them all day anyway, so I'd never be able get one to begin with (a la 'chair hog mode').  The casita hogs might as well pay for the privilege of shade. ?

I think they ought to put a time limit.....that would stop that nonsense!  Nothing worse than sitting in a chair and seeing the vacant ones with towels on them for hours on end.  (mind you I'm sitting in the shade in a corner, this girl burns! LOL)

10 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

I think they ought to put a time limit.....that would stop that nonsense!  Nothing worse than sitting in a chair and seeing the vacant ones with towels on them for hours on end.  (mind you I'm sitting in the shade in a corner, this girl burns! LOL)

Yeah, I'm rarely found on the pool deck.  It's always just too sunny and/or too crowded for my taste (at least pre-Covid).

38 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Yeah, I'm rarely found on the pool deck.  It's always just too sunny and/or too crowded for my taste (at least pre-Covid).

Ditto

The only time I have ever been in a pool onboard was when I did my PADI class.

I am really not happy with charging for casitas.  I think they should do a time limit, not all day.  I mainly use them when in port, and since a majority of people are in port I don't see the $149 charge to even be needed.  It is sad to see many things are now costing extra.  Just my opinion though.

No one wants to pay extra, and there's no doubt this makes them money, especially something that used to cost extra.

However....

With the casitas, pre-covid, if you didn't get up at 7am to get one, you weren't getting one that day. 

Now, you have a chance to get one if that's important for you to have it. 

Anything that has value to cruisers that is free, ends up going down this road because sooner or later, it becomes unmanageable.

But again, I'm not happy to pay for something that used to be free. 

1 hour ago, bryresangel said:

Are these on every ship?

Unknown at this time

10 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Is this price per person?   or for the casita itself? 

Casita itself

9 minutes ago, 12thman said:

If you have a star class suite do you still pay for these?

Doubtful. Plus, if you are star class you can go to the suite sun deck as an option.

I haven't always found the casitas to be great sun shades.  I suppose at 12 noon when the ship is crossing the equator it might work out but a lot of the time the angle of the sun means the casita isn't fully shaded.   Sometimes the loungers next to the casita benefit from the shade they provide.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

I haven't always found the casitas to be great sun shades.  I suppose at 12 noon when the ship is crossing the equator it might work out but a lot of the time the angle of the sun means the casita isn't fully shaded.   Sometimes the loungers next to the casita benefit from the shade they provide.

I bet the chair hogs that reserved one at 6am were kicking themselves in the butt later about that mistake! 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Note to self, get loungers next to casita. ? 

Here is my thought. They were hard to get cause there is only a few. If it was very rare that i could get it.... This would be the perfect thing for RC to charge for. With C-19 and the large amount of debt they added due to the shut down.... This is one thing i can live with them charging extra for...... Better this than something else 

• 4 months later...

I hope someone can answer this question now that a few months have passed by!

We are considering a casita on Odyssey for our upcoming FEB sailing... I understand it's a single charge for the casita (like the cabanas) and not a per guest charge.

Do we know what the capacity limit is? We are sailing with friends and would consider if we could share the casita (4 people in total). The CP does not mention capacity limits, but it appears obvious that only 2 can occupy at once.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

We are considering a casita on Odyssey for our upcoming FEB sailing... I understand it's a single charge for the casita (like the cabanas) and not a per guest charge.

Do we know what the capacity limit is? We are sailing with friends and would consider if we could share the casita (4 people in total). The CP does not mention capacity limits, but it appears obvious that only 2 can occupy at once.

Thanks!

The casitas are not very big.  They typically contain space for two.  I don't think there is limit placed on them because you can't physically add more seating.  If you try to sit four people in the space designed for two I don't think anyone from the ship will stop you, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable for more than a few minutes.  

oy-casita-1.thumb.jpg.f1f825fa6e4b11d89281e5b6e0cad99d.jpg

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

The casitas are not very big.  They typically contain two loungers.  I don't think there is limit placed on them because you can't physically add more seating.  If you try to sit four people on two loungers I don't think anyone from the ship will stop you, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable for more than a few minutes.  

Thank you! I figured that, but just wanted to see if they would have any issues with the 4 of us alternating use and leaving our towels and belongings in the casita while we wander. We may try it for one day. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The casitas are not very big.  They typically contain space for two.  I don't think there is limit placed on them because you can't physically add more seating.  If you try to sit four people in the space designed for two I don't think anyone from the ship will stop you, but I can't imagine it would be comfortable for more than a few minutes.  

Out of curiosity, how far are these from the pools?

22 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Out of curiosity, how far are these from the pools?

There are two casitas on deck 14 next to the aft pool. One of these is perilously close to the smoking section and if that bothers you don’t pick that one. Then the rest are up on deck 15. Only two people can comfortably sit in the lounger at a time. The provide towels and four cans of water. You can safely leave your stuff there. 

If you purchased one for the day, you have to report to the lime and coconut bar, at 9 o’clock. Keep in mind that the Casitas are assigned on a first come basis, so you gonna want to get up there early if there’s a certain one you want. Biggest disappointment in these for us is that there’s absolutely no shade. You will be having a roof over your head but there’s no protection from the sun.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I am looking for these for my January Odyssey sailing but I don't see them.  Could they all be sold out already?

Our TA reserved them for us when we booked back in April. You can’t just show up and get one. You have to reserve in advance on the planner or thru your TA. If you have reserved one, You then arrive at 9:00 at the check-in to select the one you want for the day. First come first served for choice of casita. 

1 hour ago, Clover18 said:

Our TA reserved them for us when we booked back in April. You can’t just show up and get one. You have to reserve in advance on the planner or thru your TA. If you have reserved one, You then arrive at 9:00 at the check-in to select the one you want for the day. First come first served for choice of casita. 

Yes, I know, they just weren't showing up in the planner until 2 weeks ago.  Thanks!

On 1/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Thanks!

I am in the process of booking one now...you can only choose 2 guests per casita, and they charge you for EACH guest (so, almost $400 for 2 people on a sea day).

13 minutes ago, Tina25 said:

I am in the process of booking one now...you can only choose 2 guests per casita, and they charge you for EACH guest (so, almost $400 for 2 people on a sea day).

You only select one person when purchasing a casita to reserve it under, otherwise you are booking 2 of them (one for each guest).  

14 minutes ago, Tina25 said:

Just select one guest.  

It's like a two device Voom plan.  If you select both guests, both get a two device Voom plan.  

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2022 at 12:13 PM, Clover18 said:

Biggest disappointment in these for us is that there’s absolutely no shade. You will be having a roof over your head but there’s no protection from the sun.

Thank you for this. I just reserved one because I need guaranteed shade while my son plays all day in the pool so it sounds like I need to find another option.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, stepheff said:

Thank you for this. I just reserved one because I need guaranteed shade while my son plays all day in the pool so it sounds like I need to find another option.

I pointed out the lack of shade to someone and they said they had adequate shade.  I guess it’s subjective.  IF I did book it I would likely bring a sheet of other sort of fabric to somehow affix to the casita so I could definitely have shade.  It’s can also be windy on sea days, so even my “simple solution “ wouldn’t be so simple.