Oasis in Bayonne this morning!

9 hours ago, wozswoman said:

My mom and dad met when was Cape Liberty was still a base.  My mom worked there and dad was stationed. 1970/1971. My grandmother retired from the base in the early 1990's. End of Sept will be the first time my mom and I will take a cruise from the port.

A lot of changes have taken place there since the old MOTBY days. Bayonne still has a long way to go to take full advantage of the property…even after all these years.

59 minutes ago, MariaA said:

Does anyone know how to get to Bayonne NJ other than driving myself from either Povidence RI or Boston area? Is there maybe a bus company that goes directly to the cruise port or anywhere near it? Would love to sail on the Oasis but fear driving there.

You basically need to get yourself to Newark airport. Once there, you can take a taxi or Lyft to the port.

I think that would be the most straightforward approach to using mass transportation to get to the port.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

You basically need to get yourself to Newark airport. Once there, you can take a taxi or Lyft to the port.

I think that would be the most straightforward approach to using mass transportation to get to the port.

Not Only is it straightforward, they are next to each other. As I live in York, it is very easy to get to the port.

image.png.1883f2bbfbcfd59eb623a3270c08883e.png

6 hours ago, MariaA said:

Does anyone know how to get to Bayonne NJ other than driving myself from either Povidence RI or Boston area? Is there maybe a bus company that goes directly to the cruise port or anywhere near it? Would love to sail on the Oasis but fear driving there.

There use to be (6 years ago)

My son and his wife are taking Amtrak out of Providence to the Newark airport station. (not downtown Newark). Going down the day before, then getting to the pier by taxi? or maybe looking into Royal's airport transfer.  
There a few hotels at the airport

9 hours ago, BrianB said:

A lot of changes have taken place there since the old MOTBY days. Bayonne still has a long way to go to take full advantage of the property…even after all these years.

You aren't kidding.  I was blown away when we visited in 2015.  The last remaining immediate family member moved out of Bayonne in 2016, exactly 100 years after the family immigrated to Bayonne from Poland.  My grandmother lived on 24th street between ave e and f(I always thought it was Prospect)  My mother grew up on 23rd street, my favorite aunt lived on 44th st and Broadway, my great aunt lived on Ave E and they took part of her backyard to make the Light Rail.  I could see the Statue of Liberty fireworks from my grandmothers balcony. I used to ride my aunts bike from 24th street to the Bayonne Library to I think it was Hudson Park when I would visit in the summers.  I met my best friend growing up in Bayonne she lived on 18th st between Broadway and ??, not the best area.  I have fond memories of Bayonne.  Would I want to live there NO. LOL

1 hour ago, KevinJ said:

Any idea how long it takes after leaving the pier to get to the bridge? My son well be all over that photo op. I'm thinking about our dinner reservation timing. Right now we're MDR at 6:30 which seems just about right to miss the bridge.

I don't know for sure, but based on the test cruise it took them an hour but they did a little tour of the harbor first.  Given they go at the bridge at high speeds to cause the squat effect, I'm assuming 15-30 at the most if they head straight to the bridge.  If they do a tour first, hour or more.

1 hour ago, KevinJ said:

Any idea how long it takes after leaving the pier to get to the bridge? My son well be all over that photo op. I'm thinking about our dinner reservation timing. Right now we're MDR at 6:30 which seems just about right to miss the bridge.

I watched and timed the test cruise because we’re on the 9/26 sailing.  She left pier right at 7, and headed up to Statue of Liberty.  Turned around right at 7:30, and passed under the bridge 8:10 to 8:15. I think @Aulayanis right on timing - 15-30 minutes without touring harbor.  I’m guessing 70-75 if we do.  I watched a video of someone on the test cruise who was in the middle of dinner at Coastal Kitchen when they were about to go under, and they all went up to watch.  It only takes 5 minutes, and they just continued dinner when they came down

• 2 weeks later...