E-Visit At Home Tests Not Accepted?

Edit 8/19: Royal Caribbean has updated its FAQs to confirm that the Abbot BinaxNow Home Test can be accepted as proof of a negative Covid-19 test as long as the test is proctored via a digital telehealth visit.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

-----------

Last week, @Matt posted this up on the Blog: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/09/royal-caribbean-now-accepts-cdc-approved-home-covid-19-tests

I spoke to an RCCL rep today (via Twitter DM), who stated that the BinaxNow Ag Home Test is only accepted by RCCL if physically administered by a lab, and that results from the Zoom proctored version of the test will not be accepted at the port. I have appointments scheduled already for PCR tests on Thursday, but I'm increasingly concerned about delays with processing PCR tests. I have purchased a set of these tests, but now it seems like Royal won't actually accept them.

Does anyone have positive confirmation of RCCL accepting this test at the port for proof of recent negative test? Or do I need to take my chances with the PCR tests on Thursday?

Wow, looks like Royal just updated their FAQ specifically disallowing the proctored home test. That's bad news ?

Odd that the CDC will accept the proctored test but Royal won't. Hopefully this will be a short-lived prohibition!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

I've reached out to Royal to get clarification. The wording still isn't clear if the supervised version is okay or not.,

No offense to @VoidoftheSeas at all, but the social media team is not always 100% accurate about things they tell guests.  

Regardless, I'm equally curious to ensure we're all clear on what is and is not acceptable.

I for one am glad Matt will follow up on this, but from the Royal web site

"The Abbot BinaxNow Rapid Antigen test, if self-administered at home, is not accepted – it is only acceptable if administered by a medical provider with proper documentation provided."

The Zoom call that accompanies the test being questioned is no different from any other "Telimed"  appointment.  The medical provider will still email you results that say they administered the test.  Seems Clear to me.

But, will watch for Matt to verify.

Looks like we'll be the guinea pigs. Just did a PCR test at CVS today but we are also doing the Binax test proctor administered. We board Friday I'll show the Binax first and see what happens. If it's rejected we should have our PCR as back up. I'll post here our experience. 

31 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Looks like we'll be the guinea pigs. Just did a PCR test at CVS today but we are also doing the Binax test proctor administered. We board Friday I'll show the Binax first and see what happens. If it's rejected we should have our PCR as back up. I'll post here our experience. 

AWESOME !  Thanks for doing this.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, 12thman said:

Thank you so much! We will keep our fingers crossed!

Royal has updated their FAQs in the last few minutes: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

cc: @Matt

More on Telehealth Testing

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under live supervision must meet these requirements:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • An example of one test that meets these parameters is the supervised Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app or eMed.com. Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.

22 minutes ago, VoidoftheSeas said:

Royal has updated their FAQs in the last few minutes: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

cc: @Matt

More on Telehealth Testing

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under live supervision must meet these requirements:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • An example of one test that meets these parameters is the supervised Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app or eMed.com. Note that this test kit must be shipped to your home in most cases and may take up to 5 business days to arrive (in the U.S.) after you order.

Excellent then we'll save that test for another cruise. Hopefully we'll still be able to use it then, ever changing rules who knows?