What is the strangest thing YOU have seen on a cruise ship?

Matt

2 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Was this by any chance on the Anthem in February 2019? If so, I missed the dog (s) in the stroller in Coastal Kitchen,  but did encounter then in a full baby carriage at an elevator.

No, it wasn't the Anthem.   It was Harmony I think.   It was  a ship that had the CK and suite lounge all as one room.   The CK on Anthem is separate room near Windjammer. Where they an older couple?

I think I know the dog you are talking about on Anthem, @Ogilthorpe but if it's the one I'm thinking about, he is in a wagon rather than a stroller.  We did a B2B with him.  I think the dog's name is Bobby or something silly like that.  The man who owns/pulls the dog is a complete curmudgeon...really nasty.  The dog either bit someone or fouled the deck (can't remember which but I think it was the latter) and we heard that they were banned from sailing after that.  However, I then heard, later, that they were back on Anthem again so I have no idea if any of it is even true !!

9 hours ago, Linda R said:

No, it wasn't the Anthem.   It was Harmony I think.   It was  a ship that had the CK and suite lounge all as one room.   The CK on Anthem is separate room near Windjammer. Where they an older couple?

In this case, it was a 30ish woman pushing a small (pekingese?) Dog in a carriage.

I literally saw someone drop dead right in front of my in the Windjammer. Luckily I always sit in the back and one of the employees by the drink section worked super quickly to alert RC. They did CPR but sadly it did not help.

On a different cruise, we had this one gentleman always wear different color pastel suits with a top hat EVERYDAY. We were doing a Med cruise and it was hot, yet I would see him in France with a baby pink suit and a matching top hat. 

This is the strangest thing I've ever seen cruise related, but not seen on a cruise ship by me, was the story of a woman that brought a starfish onboard.  This was on cruise critic. The story goes something like this:

A woman was going on a cruise and supposedly the person she was supposed to travel with couldn't travel.  She was then ASSIGNED another guest in her cabin, apparently on her request.  So another woman was in the cabin with her.  I think the woman was blind (or the original passenger was blind, don't remember perfectly).  Everything was going okay, weird, but okay, until the first port stop.  After the port the woman noticed a STARFISH in the shower.  Apparently the other passenger brought a starfish on board and was keeping it "safe" in the shower.  Well, after a day or two the starfish was starting to stink.

Much hilarity continued on the boards.  The OP stayed with it for a while defending what she was saying.  The post can no longer be found anywhere the last I looked.  If anyone finds it, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read online.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:27 AM, steverk said:

Back in the day...things were different and seem very strange today.

On my first cruise in 1986, some of the odd things that went on:

Pools were filled with seawater every morning and drained every evening.  Yes, they were saltwater. Some people actually argued the reason the pool had waves is because it was seawater.

They shot skeet off the fantail. So, if you wanted they really did hand you a margaritas in one hand and a loaded shotgun in the other. Scary! 

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

In my opinion sailing is better now ?

I miss the sea water pools! 

I once saw two merry ladies protecting a grape on the floor. Someone stood on the grape and the ladies got upset and held a grape funeral……that was a good grape gone before it’s time, the service was beautiful ?

In the good old days a few years ago, we were finishing up a B2B with a TA on the Azamara Pursuit from Rome.  Crazy 100+ MPH winds in port, breaking ropes etc. but that's  another story.  Azamara has free self service laundry rooms and I was the only guy among several lady passengers there.  A well dressed woman came in with her bag of laundry and went to work stuffing the next empty machine with the contents.   Nothing unusual until she took off her blouse and skirt and popped them into the washer too.  I did note the bra and panties matched and the other ladies were looking at me for my reaction.  Her response was "Well this is what I do at home" and I could only say "Thank you for sharing" ...   We told our friend, Elizabeth, the Hotel Manager that Azamara's policy of telling passengers "Welcome Home" at all re-boardings might be working a bit too well.  

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed seeing your video on Craziest Sights on Cruise Ships,  Matt.   I guess our "free" laundry room story, down to her bra and panties, of our Azamara cruises when they were a part of RCL, might remind Royal they could give other customers that free benefit too.  Revenue can be more inclusive and not hurt the bottom line.  Thanks for the fun.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, steverk said:

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

This reminds me of one of my first memories...I was 3 seeing my aunt and uncle off on a cruise. I remember the streamers! We even got to go on the boat, that part I don't remember but was told. I remember looking up at everyone and the people on the boat throwing streamers. So glamorous to little me.

Over the years have seen a bunch of weird things.  The German Shepherd security bomb sniffer who spent the cruise on the balcony next to ours after 9-11.  The teenagers jumping off the aft of Grandeur docked at Cozumel.  But the strangest (I guess most interesting) was the US Sub that made transit through the Gatun Locks beside us while in Panama on Brilliance.

image.png.e31c2f68d4d49a783b299e814a872f49.png

On 8/16/2021 at 2:52 PM, KaydenDeen said:

I think that The Quest game show is a little strange for newcomers who are not familiar with this tradition.  The first time I saw the show, a drunk contestant took off his pants during a challenge, but wasn’t wearing underwear. His back was to the audience, but he didn’t conceal things well while disrobing.

So, yeah ... The Quest.  When I was on Navigator in Dec 2019 with some girlfriends we were at The Quest when we got quite a show.  The task was "find a piercing".  Well, one guy had his junk pierced, he pulled down his pants, and the camera happened to be right on him.  So it wasn't just in full view, it was zoomed in upon and broadcast, lol.  

Been a hectic couple work weeks for me, so I was unable to share this before @Matt made his video.

On Rhapsody in January 2017, there was a young lady that wore a white fox tail at all times.

If she was wearing shorts or pants, it hung out from over her waistband. If she wore a skirt, it was dangling from under it below the hem.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:27 PM, steverk said:

Like this?  Sept.1986 Song of Norway.  Anniversary Cruise and the beginning of our Love for Cruising on RCCL.

Scan-120915-0001.jpg

I remember back in the days when cruising was a lot less frequent and considered an unusual experience. Friends and family members came to see you off and were allowed on the ship to walk around and check it out. And then they crowded into your cabin for the bon voyage party. I remember the pre-sailing announcement, “All ashore who’s going ashore!” As the ship untied and pulled away…all the visitors were gathered pier side waving goodbye!

10 hours ago, BrianB said:

I remember back in the days when cruising was a lot less frequent and considered an unusual experience. Friends and family members came to see you off and were allowed on the ship to walk around and check it out. And then they crowded into your cabin for the bon voyage party. I remember the pre-sailing announcement, “All ashore who’s going ashore!” As the ship untied and pulled away…all the visitors were gathered pier side waving goodbye!

I remember doing this a couple of times when I was a kid.  My grandparents enjoyed cruising and we got to go on the ship to see them off.  It seems so crazy (now) that it was allowed.

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

I remember doing this a couple of times when I was a kid.  My grandparents enjoyed cruising and we got to go on the ship to see them off.  It seems so crazy (now) that it was allowed.

Yes, I remember going on cruises in the 80's, and my sister and niece could come aboard until we left port.  Was so normal at the time.  And a good way to have people actually see the ship and maybe wanting to book a cruise now.

Those were the days!  haha

• 1 month later...

I myself have actually brought mattress onto a suite larger deck and slept outside.  It was great!   Brought mattresses back in and made bed, so the cabin steward did not have to deal with it.    Be sure to do it on a night when next day is a sea day!  You may  otherwise wake up  with a ship next to you!   It was wonderful waking up to an absolutely beautiful sunrise.    I would do it again.

We were on Sovereign of the Seas years ago and were lounging at the pool. There were a very large couple lounging with heaping plates of chicken balanced on their stomachs. After eating their entire plates of fried chicken they both set down the bone plates, walked over and got into the pool. Crumbs and a grease slick emerged as other swimmers quickly jumped out of the pool. They had to drain and clean the pool and needless to say the crowd was not happy with the chicken eaters using the pool as their bathtub!