What is the strangest thing YOU have seen on a cruise ship?

Matt

I was reading another post about weird/strange things people witnessed themselves, and thought what about on a cruise?

Share with us the craziest things they've seen happen on a cruise ship. Please only things you've witnessed, not stories from others.

I think that The Quest game show is a little strange for newcomers who are not familiar with this tradition.  The first time I saw the show, a drunk contestant took off his pants during a challenge, but wasn’t wearing underwear. His back was to the audience, but he didn’t conceal things well while disrobing. I’m not easily shocked, but I was surprised. I don’t recall how Royal handled that situation, but the crowd went wild. I’ve seen the show one other time, but it wasn’t nearly as crazy as that experience.

So when my brother and I went to Egypt we did a Nile river cruise on the Movenpick Royal Lotus. There was a family that had "service" animals that included a goat and German Shepard. Every morning we went on deck that goat would just be staring into our souls. We barely heard it but we also knew that both animals stayed in the families rooms. It was so random. Also on my first RCG cruise, Mariner, our neighbor would always come out of his room in a thong, do a few stretches in the hallway and go back in. I just assume there were too many people in the room.

We were on an early December sailing once, right after the beautiful decorations had been put up, and observed a woman walk up to the elaborate gingerbread village, and break off a piece of one of the roofs to eat.   As if we don't get fed enough on the ship.  lol  

On another cruise, we ate breakfast in the Windjammer at the same time that an older gentleman did...in his robe and slippers.  ?  We got to enjoy his eccentricity 2 separate days.

If you were on an Alaskan cruise back in May 2016, and saw a tall, skinny teenage boy eat three plates heaped full of donuts for breakfast in the Windjammer (27 by his count)....yes, we did teach him to eat a decent meal.  And no, we weren't eating with him.  He finally fessed up long after the cruise.  ?

Hmmmm.  All our strange encounters involve food. ?

@San Diego GarrettI have seen this at other buffets and it is like a car crash.....I can't stop staring. I saw a guy scratch his butt, smell his fingers and continue on in the Windjammer on Mariner. My travel companion and I decided to take Jamie's Italian up on their reduced lunch offer right after that. But I manage a restaurant so things like that aren't weird to me.

1 hour ago, San Diego Garrett said:

An impatient person in the Windjammer line eating the food as he slowly strolled down the line. Most of the food never touched the plate. Just straight into his mouth.

This is why the full service buffet needs to remain in place going forward. After emuster, the full service buffet is the best thing to come out of covid and like emuster, I hope the change is permanent.

I think it was the lady that was left behind in Cozumel.

We were an our late departing. There was another ship tied up beside us that was leaving later, so there were lots of people on the dock. But one woman with several shopping bags burst on to the dock running toward the ship.  I just knew she had to be coming to ours.  Anyway, she decided that we were still there, so she slowed to a slow saunter. Once she rounded the corner of the dock, she discovered the lines had been dropped and were we 20 feet from the pier.  I'll never forget the look on her face when she realized just what had happened.

Am I a terrible person for getting a chuckle out of this?

30 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

This is why the full service buffet needs to remain in place going forward. After emuster, the full service buffet is the best thing to come out of covid and like emuster, I hope the change is permanent.

It works well with reduced capacity. I think it'd be a real bear once we get back to normal loads.

A family having dinner at Coastal Kitchen next to our table, that had a baby stroller.  The stroller had 2 yippy dogs in it that they fed directly on the table. Plus they ordered food for the dogs at the restaurant. The family was very rude.  They told us the dogs were not really service dogs but wanted them with them all the time.  She also told us they destroyed their cabin from chewing furniture and blankets  to peeing on carpets.  Everyone kept away from them.  What are people thinking?

This older lady who had a walker with a basket and in the basket was fur-real cat and a huge horn.

You could hear her all over the ship, she would honk that horn if she felt you were in her way.

My daughter and I got on an elevator, as my husband was about to step on and there she was.  

She honked that horn at him and he jumped about a foot off the ground.

We saw/heard her at customs on disembarkment day wearing 20 different crew badges (DD counted them)

Back in the day...things were different and seem very strange today.

On my first cruise in 1986, some of the odd things that went on:

Pools were filled with seawater every morning and drained every evening.  Yes, they were saltwater. Some people actually argued the reason the pool had waves is because it was seawater.

They shot skeet off the fantail. So, if you wanted they really did hand you a margaritas in one hand and a loaded shotgun in the other. Scary! 

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

In my opinion sailing is better now ?

We had a summer cruise on a competitor's ship and late one evening after the wife and I strolled through the ship we made our way back to the room. Needing some fresh air I stepped out on our balcony and looked down. Just below us was one of the many hot tubs and the sights I saw were forever burned into my mind as I noticed all the clothing off to the side and the extra large folks in their birthday suits. ?

I saw part of this... 

On our July 1 Carnival Liberty sailing in 2007, we were late leaving for some reason I fail to remember.  There was a man, I think in his late 20s, that was apparently over-served and sometime late in the evening after setting sail decided for whatever reason that he wanted off the ship.  He got a axe, I assume from a fire box, and proceeded to try to chop down a life boat (I did not see this myself and I am not sure exactly what he was thinking as they were secured by metal attachments).  When security approached he jumped overboard instead of facing security.  It was very dark and choppy.  We had a balcony cabin that cruise and I distinctly remember the search going on, flood lights, rings in water, rescue boats, people yelling. I was 31 at the time I think and was terrified to go on our balcony for fear I would spot him in the water.  I cannot remember how long it went on for, probably not nearly as long as it felt, but by some miracle they were actually able to find him and he was ok.  The next morning the cruise director said in his video that in conditions like we had the night before it would normally be virtually impossible to find someone.  He said it really was a miracle.  I am pretty sure the Coast Guard was who rescued him and took his right ashore and I assume to a hospital and/or jail.

• A guest dressed up like the Pope, nowhere near October.
  • A guest in a full bunny costume in an elevator, nowhere near October.
  • A dog walking by itself doing laps around the upper pool deck level.
  • A child dropping his swim trunks on the stairs of a hot tub and immediately emptying the hot tub in a caddy shack moment (Carnival).
  • A Carnival ship nearly hitting us (Oasis) right after actually hitting another Carnival ship. 
  • @mpoole3 rather enjoying being dressed in drag for Quest

We were on oasis for my kick cancer’s ass/50th birthday celebration and 1/2 the ship was chartered by LulaRoe-the ugly leggings company. 

This was more disturbing than crazy…..this is a MLM company that women get involved with but it appears many women made their husbands wear these obnoxious leggings all over the ship. It hurt my eyes! Men wearing women’s leggings is just wrong! 

9FB15DD1-5614-4E6C-A378-B32E11BDC10E.png

We were sitting in the hot tub around sundown, a little late in the afternoon to be honest and a gentleman proceeded to get in with a full plate of windjammer food. Mostly I remember him trying to eat what I think was chicken wings and watching pieces of the food falling into the water around him. Needless to say it was a clear sign that it was time for us to exit and go get ready for dinner. (I can promise you him eating in the hot tub did not trigger a hunger response!)

While this wasn't on the ship, it was during a cruise excursion.  Let's just say it was on St. Martin and was at Orient Beach.  I will only say that it was a parade and leave the rest to everyone's imagination.  Simply put, some things cannot be unseen.

I am reminded of the words of caution given to us by our tour director as we were being let off the bus:  "Those that can, don't and those that do, shouldn't!"  More accurate words have never been spoken.

Maybe not strange but just as entertaining. Years ago we had aft rooms. My 3 boys always had to be back in the room at a certain time. I thought nothing of it. Then one day I heard "Jessica can you put some clothes on! There are kids out there." Jessica like to air dry on the balcony completely nude. (Not completely, she had a towel on her hair). She apparently didn't care that she was flanked by 3 boys. Her room was in the middle .

19 hours ago, steverk said:

I think it was the lady that was left behind in Cozumel.

We were an our late departing. There was another ship tied up beside us that was leaving later, so there were lots of people on the dock. But one woman with several shopping bags burst on to the dock running toward the ship.  I just knew she had to be coming to ours.  Anyway, she decided that we were still there, so she slowed to a slow saunter. Once she rounded the corner of the dock, she discovered the lines had been dropped and were we 20 feet from the pier.  I'll never forget the look on her face when she realized just what had happened.

Am I a terrible person for getting a chuckle out of this?

Nope, not a terrible person

17 hours ago, steverk said:

Back in the day...things were different and seem very strange today.

On my first cruise in 1986, some of the odd things that went on:

Pools were filled with seawater every morning and drained every evening.  Yes, they were saltwater. Some people actually argued the reason the pool had waves is because it was seawater.

They shot skeet off the fantail. So, if you wanted they really did hand you a margaritas in one hand and a loaded shotgun in the other. Scary! 

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

In my opinion sailing is better now ?

I remember all of those things.  I had forgotten about them draining their pools daily.  Thanks for the memories

2009 on the Independence. A very disruptive passenger who actually threatened to kill me and one other person...hauled off to the brig (they do have them so I learned!).

One entertaining part...disembarkation day...guest services announcing (numerous times) his name to come to the Service Desk...usually the ones who have not settled up a cash account. ?

7 hours ago, basil said:

Maybe not strange but just as entertaining. Years ago we had aft rooms. My 3 boys always had to be back in the room at a certain time. I thought nothing of it. Then one day I heard "Jessica can you put some clothes on! There are kids out there." Jessica like to air dry on the balcony completely nude. (Not completely, she had a towel on her hair). She apparently didn't care that she was flanked by 3 boys. Her room was in the middle .

At least they had a good reason. 

I’m not judging, but I saw this guy wearing a very large gold chain while waiting to be seated in the main dining room on Rhapsody in 2019. I’m guessing this was his dinner attire for the evening? Maybe he was just chatting with friends who were waiting to be seated? I took this photo to show a fellow cruise enthusiast to see if this was a cruise thing that I’ve been missing out on. From an middle aged physical therapist point of view, that is SO bad for your neck. 

Cruise attire in the MDR is changing. You do you.

FD48D51B-E6FE-4802-B94A-D943586931E8.jpeg

On 8/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, Linda R said:

A family having dinner at Coastal Kitchen next to our table, that had a baby stroller.  The stroller had 2 yippy dogs in it that they fed directly on the table. Plus they ordered food for the dogs at the restaurant. The family was very rude.  They told us the dogs were not really service dogs but wanted them with them all the time.  She also told us they destroyed their cabin from chewing furniture and blankets  to peeing on carpets.  Everyone kept away from them.  What are people thinking?

Was this by any chance on the Anthem in February 2019? If so, I missed the dog (s) in the stroller in Coastal Kitchen,  but did encounter them in a full baby carriage at an elevator.